Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Rubber Roof Cleaning

Used Thetford rubber roof cleaner and it worked fairly well. Still have small black spots that look something like mold stains. Anyone used Clorox on a rubber roof? Any other suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

They aren't hurting anything, and it's VERY hard to get them off, if ever.
I always use a soft brush, garden hose and sprayer, bucket and scoop of Tide w/bleach.
Don't forget to treat it after the fact.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You can use a strong bleach solution (plus detergent) to clean the roof. A soft or even medium bristle brush helps too. Black mold can be very difficult to remove, especially if a rubber roof "treatment" (basically a floor wax) has been applied.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I cleaned our roof before storage and used Dawn and hot water with a good scrub brush. It cleaned it pretty good, but like you, I still had some black/grey patches showing through. I'm thinking about putting Dicor rubber roof coat on it next spring, but I'm not sure I need to go to the expense just to cover up the blemishes. I didn't think about bleach?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I cleaned our roof before storage and used Dawn and hot water with a good scrub brush. It cleaned it pretty good, but like you, I still had some black/grey patches showing through. I'm thinking about putting Dicor rubber roof coat on it next spring, but I'm not sure I need to go to the expense just to cover up the blemishes. I didn't think about bleach?
I am betting the roof is EPDM. If so it is not unusual for 11 year old EPDM to be sluffing off, leaving what appears as blemishes. It does not compromise the integrity of the roof, which has a service life of about 20 years.
I have seen many that were coated with the Dicor rubber roof coating after 15 years and lasted as long as 25 before beinng replaced.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dicor has instructions for removing the black mold stains from the EPDM roof. It works, very slow process. Make sure you coat the roof when finished with 303 protector or something similar with UV protection.

https://www.dicorproducts.com/catalo...-roofing/#care

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

I had a great result on my roof by using a MR. Clean Magic Eraser mop and just water. I went through a number of the erasers but it was well worth it. Black marks and everything else came right off. Roof looks like the day it came from the manufacturer.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

Oxy clean, the hotter the better, After you put it on let set for about 20 minutes, Only thing is if it runs down the side of the MH it will take off the wax unless someone is there to hose it down.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

cleaning a roof

My RV is a 1999 Fleetwood class c. My roof looks OK, but when I even hose it off I get ugly streaks down the sides and are not easy to remove. If I can manage to keep side wet as well as rinse roof, it helps some. I see some hints at coating the roof, Is there one that will help this?
mrgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgarlic View Post
My RV is a 1999 Fleetwood class c. My roof looks OK, but when I even hose it off I get ugly streaks down the sides and are not easy to remove. If I can manage to keep side wet as well as rinse roof, it helps some. I see some hints at coating the roof, Is there one that will help this?
I found that after cleaning the roof, using either 303 Protectant or Protect All Rubber Roof Conditioner helps to prevent the streaking for a few months.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

You need to regularly wash and treat the roof. Then, right after, go to washing the sides too.
And when I say wash, I mean soap and water, regular garden hose sprayer, and a brush to scrub with.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof