Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Always used FULLTIMER CHOICE rubber roof clean and protect , works great for me, follow instruction on bottle, spray directly on black spot, great product that is sold everywhere. I beleive Wallmart carry Fulltimer product

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chuck I'll bet you never have streaks or have to worry about streaks with that kind of roof maintenance you do! Well done!

Wish I weren't so scared of heights and so large, I'd be up there cleaning it more than once or twice a year for sure.!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Chuck I'll bet you never have streaks or have to worry about streaks with that kind of roof maintenance you do! Well done!
Yes, that's correct as long as I clean the roof a couple of times a year I don't get the white or black streaks. Before I knew about cleaning and treating the roof I would get them down the sides and windshield. Before that I had a lot of black mold on the roof, tried most everything to remove it nothing worked. I read on Dicor's web site you can use bleach to remove the spots. I finally read the literature that came with the MH it said the same. Before the cleaning I thought I would have to replace the roof was surprised how good the roof looked and felt when finished.

Thanks,
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The products sold in RV stores for washing or "treating" rubber roofs don't do anything that plain old detergent and a coat of was won't do for a lot less $$.
X2!! Although I am not alone in favouring Tide Laundry as the best detergent out there. Put a couple cups of powder in a 1/4 pail of water, and brush it onto the area to be cleaned, and let it sit for 15 or twenty minutes to allow it to do the work it was designed to do. Then give it a good brushing where needed and rinse the surface clean.

For really stubborn stains, mix a thin paste of water and Tide, and apply to the problem areas and allow it to sit for an hour or two. That also works pretty good with interior roof stains.

I discovered this waaay back in the days of white-wall tires. None of the fancy specialized expensive stuff ever did all that great a job. Then one day, the only thing I had available was Tide laundry detergent. The results were like nothing I had ever seen before!

So . . . I now use it for the exterior of the MH to eliminate black streaks, white streaks, sap, etal.

I would not use Barkeeper's on an RV exterior. In addition to being abrasive, it contains a strong oxalic acid ingredient, which is probably why they caution against leaving it on any surface for more than a minute.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Yes, that's correct as long as I clean the roof a couple of times a year I don't get the white or black streaks. Before I knew about cleaning and treating the roof I would get them down the sides and windshield. Before that I had a lot of black mold on the roof, tried most everything to remove it nothing worked. I read on Dicor's web site you can use bleach to remove the spots. I finally read the literature that came with the MH it said the same. Before the cleaning I thought I would have to replace the roof was surprised how good the roof looked and felt when finished.

Thanks,
Chuck
I'd pay you real money to come and care for mine that way!

I so wish it were accessible to me.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #20

Hi,
I washed my rubber roof today with protect all roof cleaner. I could not be happier. Used other product but this gave me the best result. I do not have before pic but will post after pic when I get time. Might want to try.
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #21

My next coach will have a fiberglass roof. That way I can avoid having to deal with mold, mildew and chalking. My friend has a Winnebago Vista which has a fiberglass roof. He loves it because it is so low maintenance.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I washed my coach Good Friday eve with a plain old sudsy mix of Dawn and wow did it take the moldy looking slide toppers and awning and turn them looking almost new!

Also did the visible (from the ground) sides of the rubber roof, looks fantastic!

Plain old Dawn, amazing!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profleetone View Post
My next coach will have a fiberglass roof. That way I can avoid having to deal with mold, mildew and chalking. My friend has a Winnebago Vista which has a fiberglass roof. He loves it because it is so low maintenance.
A fiberglass roof certainly doesn't eliminate chalk streaks down the sides of the rig.