Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

rubber roof ripple do I need to fix?

So there is a ripple on my rubber roof up near the front passenger corner. It's small and there are no punctures, but my question is do I need to still put some of that eternabond tape on it?

It's maybe a foot long and half inch wide.

Just wondering if that's normal or something happened to it.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually a ripple is the glue not holding the rubber down. A photo and year/make of RV would be helpful.
Cause could be age, or water slowly getting between roof and rubber, or excessive heat (desert cooking it), or original gule job was thin there ect, ect.
The ripple itself might not be an issue, but a leak causing it would. Eternabond will seal a rip/hole, by not fix a ripple.
I'd do a good inspection - keep in mind water could travel quite away to get to the ripple. If there is there a penetration near (antenna, ladder ect) start there.
If the roof is old and black in areas (worn) - recoat with Liquid Roof and re-caulk seams/penetrations.
Another thought - if there is aluminum trim under that area, the rubber roof material may pull loose if stretched and aged. No fix required if it is not leaking.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post
So there is a ripple on my rubber roof up near the front passenger corner. It's small and there are no punctures, but my question is do I need to still put some of that eternabond tape on it?

Thanks
We ran into this quite often at our dealership. Motorhome factories are giant sawdust producers. Sometimes they don't get all the sawdust off pieces and glue will not hold to anything with sawdust on it. I would leave it alone for now, and just keep a eye on it. If it really bothers you, get a syringe and fill it with glue and inject it under the rubber. Keep the injections in a straight line and cover the line with one strip of eternabond.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a couple in my roof. The membrane either pulled away from the glue or there never was any glue.

In order to repair it, the membrane would need to be cut.

There are about 10 million different variables, but opn mine, I keepo ane eye on the ripples, they haven't gotten any larger or spread, so I'll leave them alone for now.

FYI - I just finished (like 10 minutes ago) re-coating my roof with EPDM Rubber Roof. I'll report later on this when I get all my photos and videos together.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

As others have stated ; the ripple is a sign of lack of glue; my last 5er had them over the roof's plywood seams , from new. Six years later there was no change, no leaks , no need for anything but an inspection.
Dealer offered to inject glue but said the pin holes and sealant over them would look worse than the ripple. I agreed.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonrv View Post

Thanks
I would go up with a permanent marker and mark the perimeter of the ripple. Then observe if it is growing. Had that issue with our 5er. After 10 years the marks had faded to almost nothing but the perimeter had not moved.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned it's a 2014 fleetwood bounder 35k.

There are no water leaks and other than some tiny cracks in some of the sealant the roof is really holding up nicely.

I'll keep an eye on it though. Just to the touch and looking at it there is no cause for concern, but I wanted to make sure.

Tags
roof