Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Run flat protection

Just purchased Tyron run flat front tire protection. Had highspeed blow out (70mph) on right front Thursday on my 08 American Tradition. Traded and bought 13 Allegro Bus (tag) Wanted the added protection

Any thoughts...

Chris
Charlotte, NC
2013 Allegro Bus
Jeep Rubicon toad
cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #2

While i agree that Tyron is a great safety feature I feel the price for two simple rings of metal is absolutely a ream job.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #3

I also bought them at LD, to much money but worth it. Saw a 43 bus at LD with front end damage on Rt side, and found he also had a blowout on I75 and lost control pushing a Chevy SUV into a bridge wall and killing the 2 occupants. His life is for ever changed.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarvey
Just purchased Tyron run flat front tire protection. Had highspeed blow out (70mph) on right front Thursday on my 08 American Tradition. Traded and bought 13 Allegro Bus (tag) Wanted the added protection

Any thoughts...

Chris
Charlotte, NC
2013 Allegro Bus
Jeep Rubicon toad
Chris,

If you will, please tell us about your blow out experience. We need the education.

Thanks.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
help a slow old man here. You HAD an 08 Tradition and after the blowout you traded for a 13 Allegro Bus? Did the blowout have anything to do with the trade?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My question is,
will the steel rings SUPPORT the full weight of the bus and all the forces involved when a catastrophic blowout occurs ?

and secondly, how many times does that violent a blowout occur ?

Are the tires THAT old to blowout like that ? just wondering.....
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

I'll see if I can answer questions .... I did not trade because of the blowout but it moved our decision up. I want most to get rid of the propane and go all electric.

Tires had 35,000 on them and five years old. All tires were in good shape. Had picked up some road trash on the Flordia Turnpike. (I'm guessing).

Yes the Tyron Bands will support the weight of the Coach. Ck out the web site Tyron USA. Aside from the saftey aspects of the bands should help to minimize coach damage also.

Chris
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

I have to mention that the ride down the embankment and almost roll over was enough for me. You have no control of the coach. I also had a rear tire blow out two years ago on a trip out west HW speed

Chris
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #9

Interesting concept. But I have a concern.

I looked at the installation instructions and I wonder how a non Tyron shop could change the tire. To get the tire off, the Tyron band has to be removed and that requires some means to push the inner bead against the outer bead and unbolting the band.

Without Tyron's special tool, I don't know how that could be done.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #10

OK, so what do they want for these little beauties? Seems like Tiffin dealers are all pushing this product. Our dealer has tried to get me to commit to them twice so far and I expect another push when we pick up the new bus in a week or two.

By the way, it seems from their WED site that you get the tool to get them on and off when you buy the band.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #11

any run flat is worth the expense no matter what type of vehical they are installed on. but the weight and size of a rv pretty much demands that type of back up. open flat roadways are on thing but when you consider traveling through the many mountain areas and have a blow out, well it's a long way to the bottom in many places. and as was said good and new tires can have problems also.
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
I also bought them at LD, to much money but worth it.
So, how much is too much?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
My question is,
will the steel rings SUPPORT the full weight of the bus and all the forces involved when a catastrophic blowout occurs ?

and secondly, how many times does that violent a blowout occur ?

Are the tires THAT old to blowout like that ? just wondering.....

Blowouts can happen even if you just left the tire store (road hazard)

And that is not what the rings ar supposed to do, believe it or not

The problem (per them) is that when the tire blows the "Bead" falls into the "Well" in the rim allowing bad things to happen.

The rings cover that "well" so the bead can't fall into it keeping the tire on the rim.

IS THIS TRUE? Frankly I do not know

But I had a car once which was designed such that the tire fell "into" the rim when it went flat, and did not come off, Drove 3 blocks to the tire store with no damage and no loss of control.... Course I never broke 25mph.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #14

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarvey View Post

Any thoughts...

Chris
Charlotte, NC
2013 Allegro Bus
Jeep Rubicon toad
Chris. Glad all is OK and you are safe.
Wonder why your TPMS didn't provide any warning.
Have any pictures of the failed tire?