Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
For the cost of the TYRON system I think the Steer-Safe is a better option. The Steer-Safe was tested with a Semi loaded with 80,000 lbs and they blew a front tire. Driver was able to handle the Semi with one hand.
I also was talked into the TYRON system 8 years ago when I bought my DP. Fortunately I had to replace the front tires a few months later, waited 2 weeks for the special tool, got the tool and guess what, no TYRON system. Got the 1600 bucks back.

Hope I never have to see if I can handle the DP with a front blow out.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post

So, how much is too much?
Per recent post, 1600 samolians.
Can you say WOOF?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarvey View Post
I have to mention that the ride down the embankment and almost roll over was enough for me. You have no control of the coach. I also had a rear tire blow out two years ago on a trip out west HW speed

Chris
I have never blown a tire on a Motor home but have had both car, small truck, and trailer tires go Bang on me,,, Only thing I ever lost (other then time and money to change/replace tire) was 2 hubcaps, and I recovered one of those.

Never lost control.

But in many RV forums there is a link to a Mitchlin video, A common title for the sticky is "Watching these videos may save your life"

I watched, I learned from them, and that was AFTER the last tire blew in the opening paragraph.

In the video they show a driver maintaining control over his (I actually is his father's if I'm not mistaken) motor home after they blow a tire.

IF you take the AEON RV driver safety course offered at FMCA rallies.. The instructor may well be the son of the owner of the RV in the video.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #18

hey i am with paul. how much is tooo much , as i need to protect me and mb and will start saving. well the way you said too much makes me think we will need to save up for them as we save up for everything.
but if they are just used in the front tires, then they can only be soo much. tkz
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
I am going to have run flat inserts installed into my new tires when I get them from here... Bulldog Direct Protective Systems Inc. - Tire Protection / Run Flat Tire Inserts ... the crf ones no special tools and it is more piece of mind will still have something touching the road besides the rim if the hazard actually occurs
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #20

Sorry folks have been off the internet for a while... Just need to correct some of the past blog/thread i started. My two "Blow Outs" were in fact loss air due to some sort of trauma to the tire. My TPMS did not give me any warning. I do not know why. However, I still feel it is a good thing to monitor TP pressure on coach and toad.

As far as maintaining control, I had a single axle coach and was pulling back in front of a Tractor Trailer I just passed on Flordia TP and loss the right tire when I turned the wheel to the left pulling back in the travel lane, I suspect that the torque on the right front tire on the turn is what did us in. I doubt that any video could replicate this scenario. Coach was also loaded heavy. My coach also had maxed out front axel weight.

As far as my Tyron run flat I had installed...I look at it this way on this device, is like the gun argument better to have and not need than to need an not have...

Chris
Charlotte NC
2013 Allegro Bus
cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
ok just got a quote for the Hutchinson CRF ...ouch... maybe we could pull together and get a group buy going if not I will at least have the fronts done for my own piece of mind and for the DW for when she is driving ...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #22

Run Flat

I just installed on the steer tires naturally. Two grand installed and if you have a road side flat I know the tire folks will charge extra and best to have the tool or you are buying a rim and tire. I went to an all electric, Aqua Hot coach to get rid of the propane I was sitting on top of. Concidering the cost of the new coach cheap dollars for a little driving comfort...

Chris
Charlotte
Allegro Bus
cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
cgarvey....How fast were you going. I noticed you said you had just passed a truck.

I seldom run much over 60 and having a tire blow is one of the reasons I keep it down.

In your experience do you think my idea of a slower speed will help me in case of a blowout?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hummm. I'm sorry,but when you said 70+ MPH,changing lanes after passing,older tires and having your front axle loaded to the max weight,I think you were looking for a problem.
And no,your TPMS won't give you an indication of a blow-out till after it's gone and then it'll let you know when the pressure drops. Those things are just good for letting you know when the pressure drops or raises. My wife has those on her new car and they are a pain in the neck as we've had the car in 5 times over the last three years because the light comes on and the pressure is ok,but then that's a Ford for you.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Hummm. I'm sorry,but when you said 70+ MPH,changing lanes after passing,older tires and having your front axle loaded to the max weight,I think you were looking for a problem.
And no,your TPMS won't give you an indication of a blow-out till after it's gone and then it'll let you know when the pressure drops. Those things are just good for letting you know when the pressure drops or raises. My wife has those on her new car and they are a pain in the neck as we've had the car in 5 times over the last three years because the light comes on and the pressure is ok,but then that's a Ford for you.
Sorry you had trouble with your TPMS, the only time mine indicated a problem on my 3 year old Ford was one time when the tire pressure was actually low. You may have a bad sensor in one of the wheels; these are not made by the auto manufacturer, they are a vendor item. I have a friend with a GM product that had the same problem with theirs as you had.

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

We may have some confusion in terms. Most "blowouts" are really the result of running low which melts the body cord and results in a catastrophic failure that many call "blowout".
Here is a full explanation of what really happens and the physical evidence that confirms the failure was due to an air leak.

Now the example above is a polyester body tire but steel body tires can suffer similar fate where the steel fatigues. Below is a steel body tire that failed due to air loss.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #27

Having been riding in two vehicles that hit garbage on the highway and lost a tire (F150 and Grand Marquis) I know how much fun it was to bring those smaller vehicles to a stop. Trying to avoid the junk required a maneuver that put the vehicle off camber and post blow out that movement was exaggerated. Both vehicles were stopped safely but I don't want to think of what would have happened if I attempted the same thing in my RV. That's why if I get surprised by something in the road I'll likely drive over it and take the hit rather than jerk the wheel. So why would I consider these rings?

I saw a bus driving with a blown tire and one of these rings when I was in college. The streets were narrow in the area so stopping for a tire change would have required blocking two lanes (blown tire was on the drivers side). I thought that was a smart setup. I just didn't know they were available to the public.

The main reason I can see for getting these rings is the ability to safely get to an area to pull off and make a tire change. We're in the process of buying a new Forrest River 3011 DSF (Class C 31 ft) and the dealer offers these rings. My question is, has anyone actually had a blow out on one of these rings and what happened to the ring? Were you able to reuse it or was it toast?

900.00 a pop? OUCH. I'll see what my dealer will do and pass along the info for folks in NC.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Money well spent! I have been using them and for me, the peace of mind knowing I wont be in the ditch if we lose a tire is well worth the investment. Also, I have a motorhome that isn't built any longer and would be afraid of possible body damage without the bands.
papazulu is offline   Reply With Quote