Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keeping tires clean and free of dirt, not using tire dressing with silicone, maintaining proper tire pressure and covering side walls while parked does make a difference in tire life.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I don't know of any Costco or Sam's club that carry 22.5 commercial tires. Wish they did!
msturtz
The Sam's Club in Wausua,WI, did not stock 22.5 tires but they did order my 6 Michelins for me, (which took only 5 days).
I saved $25 each, (a total of $150), compared to the price quoted by the "FMCA Michelin Advantage Program".
That was in 2011 and things change, but IMO it would be foolish not to ask.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I don't know of any Costco or Sam's club that carry 22.5 commercial tires. Wish they did!

There is a large sign over the tire department entrance at my local Sams that proclaims that they also sell RV tires. I believe the poster pictures a Class A. When I asked at the counter, I was told "Some guys from corporate came in one day and put up the sign. I don't know anything about it".

Costco seems to have the same information problem. The lady at the RV rally who sold me the membership handed me a sheet of RV tires that they sold including 22.5's. Staff at the stores don't know anything about it. One fellow did say he could order them, but they did not have the equipment to install or balance.

Has anyone found either store that will install?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #18

What do you folks think about Bridgestone and Continnetal for coach tires?
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I would replace BOTH steer tires. Everyone who rides in the MH safety is at stake. We recently replace ours with Goodyear(that's another discussion).

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I called Michelin customer service to see what they will do. It turns out my tire carries a 6 year warranty and they have assigned a case number to it awaiting the tire. The dealer said Michelin may cover up to 75% of replacement cost. New tire will be installed this Tuesday.

And yes other places like Sam's, Costco and Discount tire can order in the 22.5 tires but will not/can not mount them. Any savings could be eaten up by paying for the installation and balancing else where.

Like I said in a post above, at least I'll only have to buy one at a time on future steer tires.

I'll let you all know what Michelin does on this. Right now I'll have to pay full price on my solid gold tire.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #21

Good luck on your tire replacement with Michelin.

I may have missed it by other posters, but I've always read that those with tires sidewall surface cracking, should have the tires demounted and inspected at a Michelin dealer. (Key word here is 'surface', as surface cracking of tires is not a structural problem.)

I also am a believer, especially on the steer wheels, of replacing tires in pairs.

When we shopped for tires for our coach, I had Michelin, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone as my final three choices. Went with the Michelin XZE*, as the "*" tires have thicker sidewalls. It is a bit stiffer fride, not noticeable on the rears, but does transfer a bit more road variations thru the steers. Being a rookie with a 40' coach, I felt that the stronger sidewalls would serve me well for incase I 'clipped' curbs during turns! The Parkhouse tire manager, said he had seen the "*" series of XZE have less problems with tire surface cracking. Coming up on four years now, and no signs of tire cracking. Fingers crossed.

OP - If the tires are inspected and confirmed to be surface cracks, I'd keep on running them. However, if you will worry and not feel safe as you drive - then at that late in life of tire, swap them out and be done with it. I do recommend pairs of tire for the front steer. But, that is just how I roll! (Yes, bad pun intended.)

By the way, Continental tires for RV's had just come out with a new brand when I was doing my research. I've read good things about them, and those would be on my short list today, if shopping.

Best, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe...Several of us are trying to tell you to replace both. If you have to, keep the good one as a spare. NEVER replace just one front tire unless the other tire is almost new.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
What is hype to some can be savings to others. Two years ago I replaced the steer tires via the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. Did shopping around as a retail customer (some dealers were 100 miles away). Went back and got the FMCA Advantage price, it was $130 less per tire than I could get as a retail customer. This year I replaced the drive axle tires. Did the same routine. The retail customer price had gone up. The FMCA Advantage price had not changed and my savings was greater ($165/tire).

There are some iRV2 members that continually post negative comments about whatever topic is being discussed. Some even claim the vast knowledge of knowing how all coaches charge the coach batteries for the last 30 years! As one reads these members' posts it becomes clear who they are and the information in their posts might be more huff and puff than fact. Beware
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
i replaced two steering tires with bridgestone last year. they are good. i will use them again when changing other 4.
don't have experience with continental on rv tires. their car tires are good though.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Joe...Several of us are trying to tell you to replace both. If you have to, keep the good one as a spare. NEVER replace just one front tire unless the other tire is almost new.
The other tire looks great, not one crack, only 4 years old. So why spend another $508 to replace it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
We had a air pressure failure in one steer tire last year. I could have decided to replace the one steer tire. The steer tires were only 4 years old.

I decided to replace both steer tires with new Bridgestone R280 tires. The dealer actually gave me $150.00 for each of my tires. Actually, at the time the Bridgestones were a little more money than the Michelins. Friends were frustrated with sidewall cracking in their Michelins.

So, it's only been a year. But the R280s are quiet, ride nice, and roll smooth. I have to replace the rear tires within the next couple of years. Good chance I'll use Bridgestones.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would replace it. Continental an Hancook both carry that size an a lot cheaper.
hrvacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a 2008 Bounder with 255/80-22.5 XRV's on it. The unit only has 5300 miles, it was built March 2008, the chassis (Ford 24K) was built Feb 2008, tires are all 3807. I cannot find the tiniest crack on any of the tires. Obviously I have some concern about the age "factor" but I could not get anything going on the deal to replace them. I have seen many remarks / complaints about the 225's but don't recall seeing any thing on 255's. Right now I'm planning on using them for a year as it seems they are doing better than many others. They do "sing" quite a bit on coarse asphalt, is that common? I'm sure it's not a weight issue as we have not loaded it yet and the build weight is way under the GVWR.

Tags
replace