Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

Run motor while parked?

I bought a slightly used class A diesel pusher about two months ago. I am a full timer and will be parked in an RV site for about 3 months. I know that you should run the generator about once a month for about 20 minutes. Not sure if I should run the diesel motor also. Thanks in advance for all your advise.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

If you can't run it around and get the motor, trans, and exhaust system, up to FULL operating temp . 25+ miles . Leave the motor shut off.
High idle won't do it , you need to drive .
MY coach sits for 340 days a year , without running ; for the past 8 years ; and is doing just fine.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
A diesel never really warms up sitting at idle. Running it parked can't really heat up things enough to get rid of any moisture in the crankcase. If you start it once during the 3 months, that would eliminate any corrosion on the starter, but to run the engine for an extended length of time will only annoy the neighbors.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

Running your generator for only 20 minutes a month perhaps does more harm than good as well....I run mine 2 hours a month if it has had no use at all during that month. The first hour I run it at different loads, one AC, both AC's, microwave, different outlets occasionally using a drill motor or hair dryer etc....you have to push it....generators like this and then for the second hour or at least 30 minutes of that hour, I just let it run idle and cool down before shutting it off.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

Good recommendations one and all. Take your DP out for a good run (20 miles there and back minimum) every 30 days if conditions allow. Baring that just let it sit!

Harry
Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #6

I was taught eons ago that for long term storage of a diesel is to fill the tank, park it and turn the engine off. Done. Doesn't matter if it is for 1 month, 6 months or several years. Ever seen tractors sitting out for months or years? They aren't abandoned, they're in "storage". I have a diesel JD tractor that sometimes sits for years and when I want to use it, I disconnect the battery maintainer, turn the key to preheat, start it up and it is good to go.

As for the generator, WillandJane has it down pat. Generators need to be exercised, not just run for a short time. 20 minutes once a month and you are probably doing more harm than good.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Hi Don,

This is another one of those arguments where there's no absolute agreement. One BIG PRO for taking it for a spin is it chases out the Klingons. Not of Star Trek fame, but of rodents, bugs, birds and beasty fame!

No one can argue that a DP is made to run and as you said be "exercised". I say take it out every 30 days, weather permitting, for a 45 min to an hour run. It also exercises whats under the coach, airbags, brake chambers and don't forget your Norgren Valves. Never forget those.

Also a good time to check your windshield wipers/washers, step cover, TV's etc. Fire up your TPMS for tire pressure or do it manually. Yah the entire process will take the best part of an hour but you'll know you're ready when major trip time comes. I want no surprises when I go to the coach for a family excursion. To me a motor coach is a gift, and something to be taken care of all year long!

Oh and there's a good reason for this as well... If you find something in need of fixing, most places drop their rates in the off time of the year!

Just my thoughts, but no one ever said I'm very smart!

Harry
Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer to take our DP out for a 30 minute drive about once a month. During that drive I run the generator with both A/C's on.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Don,

This is another one of those arguments where there's no absolute agreement. One BIG PRO for taking it for a spin is it chases out the Klingons. Not of Star Trek fame, but of rodents, bugs, birds and beasty fame!

No one can argue that a DP is made to run and as you said be "exercised". I say take it out every 30 days, weather permitting, for a 45 min to an hour run. It also exercises whats under the coach, airbags, brake chambers and don't forget your Norgren Valves. Never forget those.

Also a good time to check your windshield wipers/washers, step cover, TV's etc. Fire up your TPMS for tire pressure or do it manually. Yah the entire process will take the best part of an hour but you'll know you're ready when major trip time comes. I want no surprises when I go to the coach for a family excursion. To me a motor coach is a gift, and something to be taken care of all year long!

Oh and there's a good reason for this as well... If you find something in need of fixing, most places drop their rates in the off time of the year!

Just my thoughts, but no one ever said I'm very smart!

Harry
I don't see anything to disagree with, Harry. Driving the RV not only exercises the engine, but knocks rust off brake rotors or shoes, turns the tires to (hopefully) a new surface, and many other things that wouldn't happen just sitting in one spot. Yes, you have to disconnect the hook ups, but that's a good idea too so you can make sure that things still will disconnect and then hook up again when returning from the monthly drive.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There are reasonable arguments for exercising the whole vehicle, but absolutely no reason to just run the engine.

I personally think that the benefits of taking a drive for exercise are largely overstated and probably not worth the effort. Do it if you like, but no need to lie awake at night worrying that you haven't done it in awhile. Or ever.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #11

What I do and works great is pour a fuel stabilizer into the tank then top it off prior to storage and run the engine for 20 mins or so. Same with the generator. Be sure and use the correct ratio of stabilizer for your total size fuel tank.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Only reason I start our coach outside of travel/move is if I need to level/re-level or while stored and I need a slide moved (of course that means a level first anyhow in our case.)

Driving it once in awhile even if going back to same spot does exercise it some and that includes the tires. (Something I try to do while stored.)

Tom
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There are reasonable arguments for exercising the whole vehicle, but absolutely no reason to just run the engine.

I personally think that the benefits of taking a drive for exercise are largely overstated and probably not worth the effort. Do it if you like, but no need to lie awake at night worrying that you haven't done it in awhile. Or ever.

I can't think of any reason why a good road run wouldn't be good for the whole coach. You can be sure that everything will loosen up and warm up with a good run and that's the goal isn't it?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

As always I agree with Gary.
I have to make excuses to run the gen. It does get warm in 20 mins. Under a load. Running longer is a waste of fuel, time, money, pollutes more and absolutely unnecessary. Been doing it for years this way.
We are going somewhere all the time so diesel engine is used.