Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingwoman View Post
We have an 2007 Alfa Founder diesel pusher. Have only owned it one year and bought it new from dealer. Question is: Can we use our central air conditioner while running the generator (no electricity available)??? Also, we can't seem to get the dash AC to work while the coach is running. Have looked in the owners manual and nothing there that helps us. Thanks for any help.
You generator will run all of your electrical needs while you are traveling, in fact your roof airs are more efficent than the dash air. Now if you are saying you don't have electricity with the generator running that's another issue (possably auto transfer switch/breakers) and should be warrenty. The dash air works just like your car, if it's not working should be warrenty. I assume your coach had a new vehicle warrenty on it when you bought it (usually 1 year on the coach) if has been longer than that I would not expect much help from the dealer as Alfa is no longer. The generator it self will have warrenty from the manf., and the dash air will have warrenty on the chassies supplied componets(compressor) with the generator and ac any thing installed by the coach builder would be under the 1 year deal. Good luck

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV'nOldTimer View Post
Since you bought the coach "new" a year ago, I assume the standard new warranty applies. If it were mine I'd get it back to the dealer for some warranty service on the genny and the motor air.

JT
Good luck getting warranty support from Alfa ... out of business since 2008.

Might have better luck with the supplier of the transfer switch or other defective component, once you find out what it is.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Good luck getting warranty support from Alfa ... out of business since 2008.

Might have better luck with the supplier of the transfer switch or other defective component, once you find out what it is.
Many, perhaps most, of the components of the motor home are guaranteed by their makers, not the coach manufacturer. For example, if the generator is an Onan, the guarantee is by Onan and is likely to be longer than that typically given on coaches. I'd start with the dealer but expect to be referred to the generator maker (not specified by OP).

However, the fly in the ointment is likely the non use, both on a dealer's lot and by the OP, contrary to usual recommendations. This could be used to deny warranty coverage.

Good luck to the OP.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
AC Shortage, Waxing RE Boondocking

Quote:
We have an 2007 Alfa Founder diesel pusher. Have only owned it one year and bought it new from dealer. Question is: Can we use our central air conditioner while running the generator (no electricity available)??? Also, we can't seem to get the dash AC to work while the coach is running. Have looked in the owners manual and nothing there that helps us. Thanks for any help.
TW, I wish I were less qualified to answer your question...

At this moment, we're boondocking at a dog show in Texas, with temps slated to climb into the nineties as the day progresses. The Onan 7.5 is chugging along, running one AC unit about half the time to keep up with the morning sun.

Are you saying no electrical power is being generated, or noting that the generator is being used in lieu of shore power?

If the former is true, that'd handily explain why the rooftop ACs aren't playing nice: load-shedding prevents them from running down your house batteries' power to the inverter; so, if the generator breaker is tripped, none of your high-current consumption appliances will function. Since your fridge can divert into LP mode, and you might be using gas to heat water, no AC might be the most obvious symptom of a generator that happily runs but doesn't give you electricity.

A way to verify this: the generator should, when producing electricity, show some indication on your electrical panel. If not, chances are, you can go to the generator itself, turn the breaker to the OFF position, flip it back on and your ACs will run normally.

As for the dash AC, I wonder in general how many problems exist out there: DW is trying to sell ours, and dealers always ask if it works. If it runs fine but doesn't cough up some cold air, it might need charged. Otherwise, you might check the fuses. It seems that motorhome woes center on fuses much of the time: knowing where every single one in the coach is will save you money and grief down the road.

Your rooftop ACs can be used underway to keep you cool if you run the generator; but, that'll add to your trip cost signficantly.

According to Cummins, our Onan 7.5 is gobbling somewhere between .2 and .56 gallon per hour (.9 at full load). So, in the summertime when we have to run it 24 hrs, an overnight at $3.80/gal diesel can ring in at a whopping $55 or more. Under those conditions, a $35 hookup can easily become a better (and more restful) alternative to WalMart.

From a guy who routinely sleeps like a baby in a tiny berth at 38,000 feet over the ocean: I have trouble sleeping when the generator and ACs are doing their dance. Very busy, disconcerting. Give me a 50 amp hookup any day.

Best of luck! Let us all know what you discover.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #19

I'm not sure how your setup is but on ours, I need to plug the shore cord into the fixture that is in the storage compartment for the cord. I don't do that..... no power
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
The need to run a diesel generator mainly applies to a gas generator. The op genny is diesel so it is probably ok. And it is the gas engine which needs operating to use up the old gas in the carburetor. Does not really matter what else you do.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
The need to run a diesel generator mainly applies to a gas generator. The op genny is diesel so it is probably ok. And it is the gas engine which needs operating to use up the old gas in the carburetor. Does not really matter what else you do.
Not according to the owners manual for my diesel powered genset. It specifically states to run "exercise" it for one hour monthly an at 50% load. Its my understanding it helps to keep the armature and other electric parts dry.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
My manual says the same thing about exercising the generator once a month at least one hour with a 50% load. Joe
Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
(OP dissapeared after leaving such a confusing post...)
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #24

Quote:
We have never run the AC on generator before. In fact the only thing that works when our generator is running are the lights. ELectrical outlets don't work (don't know if they are suppose to or not) and of course the AC/Central heat. Someone mentioned to us that perhaps there is a switch that needs to be changed to allow these to work when using the generator. Any ideas on that one? Also we have never driven the coach in hot weather so don't know if the dash air was working properly.
I have a 2005 Discovery and my ac would not work off the generator and I found that if you crank the generator while being plugged into 110 it will throw the breaker on the generator which on mine is on the generator. And the generator will run but won't send power to the outlets or air conditioner. Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #25

If you are supposed to run the generator for 30 minutes or 1 hour per month, what does everyone that lives up north and winterizes and stores for the winter months. I put mine away in November and dewinterize in April.

Dale
07 winnie vista
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #26

There is no exception to the exercise rule. The generator doesn't know that it is in storage and still needs the exercise however it is a maintenance guideline and I'm sure that as long as you exercise the Genny lots when not in storage you should be OK.

One extra little point for the OP is to check the time delay switch inside the transfer case. Flick the switch to bi pass and see what happens. It solved our problem. I can give you more detail if you are interested.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #27

Arrived in Nashville yesterday afternoon and had run A/C using generator power from Atlanta. Got checked in, moved to the site, turned off A/C, turned off generator then hooked up 30 amp shore power. The A/C would not run - in fact the drivers side of the coach had no electricity but the passenger side did. I dinked around, checking breaker switches, power cord, etc and was finding nothing out of order. Was about ready to throw in the towel when the entire system powered up - so I presume it is the delay switch inside the transfer case (mentioned above by Monacoach) and I'll pull that cover to take a look in there to see what it looks like. Anything specific I should look for inside that box? Any other thoughts on what might have caused this problem?
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Monacoach, if the generator is not exercised the brushes seize in the holders, slip rings glaze over and won't conduct and moisture collects in the windings. There is always consequences to neglect, it's just they are not always apparent.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote