Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Running furnace while driving??

I know that the general train of thought is to run the genny while driving with the furnace on. I've got a short 35-40 minute drive (each way) tomorrow and will need more then the engine heat, temps around 30. Just wondering if the engines alternator will be sufficient to run the furnace for the short trip up and then back. Can't see running the genny with so little a load on it, and no the residential fridge will NOT be on.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

The engine alternator will easily keep the batteries charged with the furnace on. No need to run the generator.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The blower on your furnace is 12V and your alternator should easily handle the load. We always leave WI for FL in early March and always run the furnace in addition to the dash heater. We de-winterize before we leave home and the furnace keeps our water lines from freezing. I have done this with 3 previous MHs

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I know that the general train of thought is to run the genny while driving with the furnace on. I've got a short 35-40 minute drive (each way) tomorrow and will need more then the engine heat, temps around 30. Just wondering if the engines alternator will be sufficient to run the furnace for the short trip up and then back. Can't see running the genny with so little a load on it, and no the residential fridge will NOT be on.
Seems to me that your coach should have a rear heater that operates off the engines hot water system. My coach as well as my old one had this set up and they work great. Also heats up the hot water tank.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It will do fine just set the temp a bit lower than normal as sometimes the moving air will keep the furnace running for a temp that is over the set temp. This is a hit and miss thing as is related on where the thermostat is.

LEN
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

As long as furnace air flow to & from furnace is not blocked/obstructed then furnace will run just fine on house battery and the alt. should maintain
Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Why would you? Run the furnace at home and get the temperature up then shut the furnace off and shut the propane off too. The dash heat should keep you comfortable for just 1/2 hour.
They make winter clothing too if you think you are going to get chilly.
You wouldn't enjoy a snowmobile trip with me, that's for sure.
How often do you see reports of a MH crashing and bursting into flames? Too often in my opinion. Perhaps what you are asking about is a contributor to these situations.
I don't move my MH without shutting the propane valve off. Of course I park it before I'd need heat anyway. I don't get it out until I wouldn't need heat either.
Then again I'm the guy who insists anyone who rides we me sits their butt down and buckles up. If they need to use the bathroom I will find a safe place to pull over and everyone can have their turn. There is nothing loose in my MH either including those rattling grates on the stove. They are safely tucked away in a drawer. Cutting boards or covers left on a sink? No way. I have a much longer list of do not's than do's.
We carry 1 cooler and it sits in the bathtub until we stop. All doors are latched shut.
The list goes on but I think I have made my point. You can't prevent every thing from happening but some things you do have control over if you think about it.
Be safe,
Lynn
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No need to shut the propane off when traveling, run the furnace too if you want. We've done it since our first MH back in 1988.
If people are so worried about propane in a vehicle they should just park it, after all how do propane powered vehicles run if they shut off the fuel source? Modern propane systems have a high flow prevention valve, if a line breaks it shuts the flow off. In fact if you open the valve too quickly you'll activate it and can't get anything propane powered to run.
The propane system is designed, built, tested and certified to be on while moving.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

We have run the propane heater forever while driving in cold weather.... Never a problem.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Why drive in cold weather? It was 81 here today.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Lynn, you are being way to safety concerned. The systems are designed to be running while driving. What do you do with your refrigerator unless you have an electric one? Motorhomes burst into flames while driving usually due to oil or fuel leaks in the engine compartment which is why I have a huge fire extinguisher aimed at the engine. If a refrigerator fire happens it is usually caused by the electric heater rather than the propane heater. Enjoy your coach.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #12

Don't turn the propane off. I use my furnace all the time when I travel in cold weather. It's designed to operate while you're on the road.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Lynn, you are being way to safety concerned. The systems are designed to be running while driving. What do you do with your refrigerator unless you have an electric one? Motorhomes burst into flames while driving usually due to oil or fuel leaks in the engine compartment which is why I have a huge fire extinguisher aimed at the engine. If a refrigerator fire happens it is usually caused by the electric heater rather than the propane heater. Enjoy your coach.
There you have it folks. I'm too safety concerned. From now on I'll cast caution to the wind, light the gas fridge, run the furnace and the hot water heater just because I can't possibly be injured. How could I be? Everyone else does it.
Trust me, I'm no panty waist. I didn't live this long without looking out for my well being when I needed to though.
I will enjoy my coach. ( My way )
Lynn
Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
easy does it folks................everyone should enjoy their MH as they think appropriate..............and as you can see if you follow this forum, EVERYONE has their own opinion, which is fine.................but for clarification purposes, according to my RV service guy (NOT ME, a non-mechanic banker type) who is in my opinion, the best, says it is perfectly ok to use the furnace while underway, using the batteries and coach alternator to power the furnace.......no genset needed...........that would also apply to propane frig, propane hot water, etc.................propane systems are built to be used under these conditions, just make sure you shut off while fueling...............so sit back and read these posts as they were intended, and I don't believe they are intended to be personal attacks on anyone..............

Tags
ace, furnace