Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #15

And while driving down the road, the engine charging system should keep the house batteries charged.

If they don't, something may be wrong and then you may need to run the generator, to power your CONverter, to keep the house batteries charged.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:07 AM   #16

so i take it if after i start the engine I should be able to run the heater off of just the generator-never used the auto gen set but i guess that could also put that on auto as well.

Thank you for all the info just need to get over the flu and it looks like we will be all set.
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Yes and maybe. If the propane heater blows out, it will shut the propane off automatically.
Don't you have heat from the engine coolant in your system? That really helps with ours. We have a switch on the dash, high and low. It blows hot air out of the propane heater outlets.
Happy Glamping.
Good point for the OP. As a backup, he may want to take a couple of ceramic heaters along and use those while genny is running.

Stay warm! It is 13 deg F here this am.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #18

You should not need to run the generator for the furnace to run. It is a 12v system running off of the house batteries. The engine alternator charges the chassis and the house battery systems while driving. You only need the generator to power 110v outlets or appliances such as the a/c units.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That's the way it should be. You do not want to plug it into an outlet of the inverter which is 110 volt ac.
Still trying to understand the electricity bearings of an RV......may I ask why not?
I haven't gotten the formerly "stolen" genset replaced in mine as of yet so I have converter, and 4 12v Duracell golf cart type batteries. Will the "right" genset have the inverter or is the inverter something I need to buy separately and connected to what in order to be powered by the gen?
I've read until my eyes are blurry, every link I have been offered and still don't entirely get it. Especially now that I caved and allowed my propane ability to come into play.
Since dash heat and air doesn't work and wouldn't heat or cool whole 37ft of my unit, I figure I might as well forgo that expense in lieu of 1-2 small space heaters and one portable ac unit which would might/most likely need to run during travel and definitely when the family is out and about for the 12 paws left inside.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
Still trying to understand the electricity bearings of an RV......may I ask why not?
I haven't gotten the formerly "stolen" genset replaced in mine as of yet so I have converter, and 4 12v Duracell golf cart type batteries. Will the "right" genset have the inverter or is the inverter something I need to buy separately and connected to what in order to be powered by the gen?
I've read until my eyes are blurry, every link I have been offered and still don't entirely get it. Especially now that I caved and allowed my propane ability to come into play.
Since dash heat and air doesn't work and wouldn't heat or cool whole 37ft of my unit, I figure I might as well forgo that expense in lieu of 1-2 small space heaters and one portable ac unit which would might/most likely need to run during travel and definitely when the family is out and about for the 12 paws left inside.
The furnace operates off of 12 volt DC current from the house batteries. The inverter converts the 12v dc to 110 volt ac to run certain appliances in the motorhome such as a hair dryer, microwave, etc or anything that worked on 110 volt ac (house current) as long as it does not exceed the inverter's capacity. The Generator will also supply 110 volt to the coach just like shore power would except both power sources will operate the roof AC and any other 110 volt appliance. The generator will also supply power to the inverter/charger to charge the house batteries. Doesn't the coach have a furnace for heat?? How are you going to mount a portable ac unit?? Why not just repair or replace the roof ac and use the furnace for heat?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #21

Running generator and propane heater ?

120 volt AC power is not needed to run the furnace. Therefore, the INVERTER is not needed to run the furnace. AND, the generator is also NOT NEEDED to run the furnace.

The furnace control circuitry uses 12 volts DC from the house batteries. Same for the blower motor...it is a simple, 12 volt DC motor. There is no 120 volt AC power used to operate the furnace.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, heat, heater, propane