Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Oil level????? Maybe???

I checked oil level first thing and it is full. It was another poster who said his shut off on a hot day. I have had that happen when running both air conditioners microwave etc. When I checked the codes then it was the inverter on the genset that was overheated and shut off. I do not think that is the problem this time because it will shut off when I am driving down the road and in 80 degree weather. I just need to remember to leave it off when it shuts off and check the codes when I stop to see what happened.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
That's 462lbs for solar panels plus 210 for Plexiglas and the 180lbs for twenty batteries. That givves me 852lbs total.
Go for it. Post the results and the cost. I would love to be proven wrong.

I just don't see it bro...

Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there a Genturi for OT posters?
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The post I was referring to was 21 plexiglass sheets, mounting hardware and frames, 50 solar panels and 50 batteries. I see your numbers have now changed. If you can do it and the MH will carry the extra weight, go for it.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks--a few posts have been removed due veering FAR off-topic and a personal attack. PLEASE keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Folks--a few posts have been removed due veering FAR off-topic and a personal attack. PLEASE keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.
Thank you
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #49

Freightliner Owners Club
Go for it. We did it during our last visit after arriving early and parked in overflow/Pre-check in lot for the better part of the day (+85 temp). Plenty of room to stay clear of other rigs and cars and VERY nice to come back to a cool coach with nothing melted. Fantastic fan doesn't cut it in these temps and conditions. Just check fuel levels as previously stated.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
If generators were not to be run unattended then they wouldn't have automatic starting controls. I can set mine to start if the batteries are low or the inside temperature is over a specified value so it will run the AC, all unattended... But like other have said, have plenty of fuel in the tank.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #51

Even I if I got fifty batteries at 7lbs. that would still only be 350lbs.

And at 141.each. or about $7000. Well worth it with a $13000 coach add slar panels and cpntrols and I'd still be under whatost people pay for just the coach.

The question is really imho. "How many 150watt panels will I have to mpunt to make sue I get at least 1400 watts of power. The seven on the roof would gove a maximum of 1050 watts plus 4200 watts from the 28 side panels. Thats a total of 5250 watts plus whatever I get from the 28 shaded panels If I can get 25% that would be over 1300 watts. Enough to run one a/c or another appliance. And that's without the batteries.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #52

Yes I let mine run at the RV storage because it is the only way for me to charge the batteries after the guys there leave the battery disconnect on and run the chassis batteries down. The way they park the rv's there is no way to get battery cables hooked up.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
The question is really imho. "How many 150watt panels will I have to mpunt to make sue I get at least 1400 watts of power. The seven on the roof would gove a maximum of 1050 watts plus 4200 watts from the 28 side panels. Thats a total of 5250 watts plus whatever I get from the 28 shaded panels If I can get 25% that would be over 1300 watts. Enough to run one a/c or another appliance. And that's without the batteries.
I know little about solar but am curious what type of RV battery weighs 7 lbs? Mine weigh close to 70 lbs each. Also would love to see a picture of your rig with all the solar panels deployed. How do you travel with them?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #54

Still waiting on the suroget court judge to release the family's $240k estate to us. The first distribution will be $10k. That plus my savings will be my downpayment on a GB Pursuit. Then my brother in law and I can spend our $3k in monthly benefits to fix it up.

Calb has a 100ah 3.2v 7lb battery for $198.. I would put them in parallel and series to bring them up to 12.8 volts and abput 500ah.

That's four sets in parallel about four deep in series

I plan to buyfour for $800. That should give me 12.8 volts and 100ah.

If I buy 4amonth I'd have 12.8 v and 100ah for each group and yhen put each group in series to raise the amps.

And at 7lbs×4that gives me 28lbsper group and 12volts at 100ah. Four groups in parallel gives me 12 volts 400ahs. With lots of room to add more groups.

My question is how many solar panels is it going to take to charge each group.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, the topic of this thread is "Running the Generator When Away From the Coach." Please take off-topic discussion to a new thread and keep this one on track. Thanks.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #56

I have run mine for 1 week straight if needed. We leave soon for Fort Myers and once I start it it may never shut down until a plug in. Never had a problem.

joe

Tags
generator