Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iangolf View Post
Every year we lose someone at the Houston rodeo due to generator exhaust issues or too close to another rv that does not have an above the roofline exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Deaths from neighbouring Rvs generators?
I remember reading something similar a few years back- he may be referring to this string of fatalities, loosely associated with the Houston rodeo.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read on this forum, but I can't recall the exact thread, that while all of us "users" like the Genturi systems, Onan (cummins) specifically states in their manual that the use of any attachments on the muffler will void the warranty. Someone on this forum pasted text that they found to this effect, but I can't locate that thread now. Obviously this doesn't affect folks who are already outside of the warranty period, but for those of us who are still inside that time window...

Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #73

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I have read on this forum, but I can't recall the exact thread, that while all of us "users" like the Genturi systems, Onan (cummins) specifically states in their manual that the use of any attachments on the muffler will void the warranty. ...snip... .
Here's a link to the manual- there's quite a lengthy statement on this subject on page 2, concluding with:

Quote:
6. Warranty: The use of an exhaust extension kit may void the Cummins Onan warranty.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Here's a link to the manual- there's quite a lengthy statement on this subject on page 2, concluding with:
The question is, is the Genturi an exhaust extension?

In my opinion, the Genturi is less restrictive than the existing system. If you extended the exhaust with the same size tube, it "might" cause excessive back pressure.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The question is, is the Genturi an exhaust extension?
Thats not a question its quite obvious and if anyone dies as a direct result of this add on, this product will come off the shelves in a hurry. My question would be.... has anyone ever died from a neighbors exhaust system? Most deaths are from onboard or under the coach Genny's.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #76

Anyone with a lick of sense can take a look at a Genturi and see it is NOT a exhaust extension.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #77

Years ago I drove a tractor trailer across the country. One night I parked in a truck stop and fell asleep in the cab. The diesel next to me came in after I was asleep and was running a generator with the exhaust even with my door. At round 2am I woke up choking and coughing with the worst headache I have ever had. I quickly realized I was being poisoned by CO and jumped in the drivers seat and motored out of there with all the windows open. Very dangerous stuff! I was so lucky to have woken up.
Steve
Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Name for a longer exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Anyone with a lick of sense can take a look at a Genturi and see it is NOT a exhaust extension.

Jim
Jim I am not quite sure about this as when a generator exhaust like mine is Approximately 4' long now coming out to the side of my Coach and now a Genturi is added going up the side of my Coach approximately 12' high to the outlet, now the exhaust went from 4' to 16' long.........I am just asking for future proper reference when speaking on this subject.......what do you call this extension to the 4' stock exhaust system? I am just asking
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Jim I am not quite sure about this as when a generator exhaust like mine is Approximately 4' long now coming out to the side of my Coach and now a Genturi is added going up the side of my Coach approximately 12' high to the outlet, now the exhaust went from 4' to 16' long.........I am just asking for future proper reference when speaking on this subject.......what do you call this extension to the 4' stock exhaust system? I am just asking
Take a look at the picture. There is open space between the pipe sections. No exhaust is being "forced" to go up the 12 foot pipe.... It just directs it up there with a "chimney effect". No back pressure on the generator at all . If there were back pressure, it could just "spill out" where the pipes don't actually connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3123237038.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	50600  
Old 11-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #80

To answer the question awhile back. Yes there have been deaths and near deaths due to a neighbors exhaust.
When I got my new Rv I called Genturi co for a new attachment. And was told a 16 yr girl died sitting outside next to another Rv.
Since then I have heard of another case and one where someone had their dogs outside snd they died.
Most places like races. Horse snd dog shows require one or you can't park there.
The cost is VERY inexpensive and not worth the risk of either not having one or trying to make something.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Take a look at the picture. There is open space between the pipe sections. No exhaust is being "forced" to go up the 12 foot pipe.... It just directs it up there with a "chimney effect". No back pressure on the generator at all . If there were back pressure, it could just "spill out" where the pipes don't actually connect.
Thank you for the photo, understand it now. The couple that I had seen were slipped right onto the genset exhaust and goes up. If setup like the photo my previous question to Jim is voided.

Tags
generator