Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #1

Running Hotter

I had the bad luck of a broken serpentine belt on my Cummins ISC motor. My warning light came on and we immediately pulled over and stopped the engine. Had it towed to the nearest Cummins dealer where they replaced the belt and added about a 1/2 gallon of coolant. The coolant escaped out of the overflow tube as the engine got hot. I know this because it coated my toad.
Everything is now running fine, plenty of power, turbo pressure good, except I am now running about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than I usually run. Fan seems to be kicking in more often. No difference on hills, it runs the same temp, just cruising on a flat road it is running hotter. I got underneath the coach (rear radiator) to see if there was anything affecting the airflow and everything looks fine. It's been a few days now so the engine has gone from hot to cold so I don't think I have any air in the cooling system.
The only thing I can come up with is the thermostat. Maybe when it got hot something happened to it. I usually run at about 180 to 200F, now is 195 to 210.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas as to what to check?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think your on the right track with the thermostats. you probably had a 180 degree thermostat and they may have changed it out for 190 degree thermostat.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Running Hotter

Doesn't make sense to me. Why would they change out a thermostat just to change a belt? I take the belt is tight and not slipping? Also recheck the coolant level, did they just add water to the reservoir and not the radiator? Did they change the thermostat? If so it would be on the bill.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Air Bubble in the coolant, not full? How Hot did it get??
Old 06-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Sounds like the radiator may have been coated. Spray Simple Green on both sides of radiator, leave on for about five minutes and then wash it off with a garden hose.

Good luck,
Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies.
The thermostat was not changed, just the belt and added coolant. I've gone through several cycles of driving and cool down at night, so I do not think there could be any air in the system.
I will re-inspect the radiator to see if it is in some way gunked up, however, if it were, I would think it would get hotter on the hills. My climbing temperature is remaining the same.
Today, same results. Warm up time was the same, driving temps higher.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If your engine did over heat it could have affected the thermostat in that it's not completely opening. If it's old I would change it out. It might come back to haunt you on the road.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote