Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Running Norcold refer off Inverter ??

I have a Norcold 1210 IM running off 110VAC or LPG. It works OK for now. When driving at altitude the LP side drops out and error messages occur. I've had it checked out, cleaned, etc. and no trouble found. I know these things can be altitude sensitive.

My question is, why not run it off my inverter (Xantrex RV2012GS) when driving? It is not presently wired to do so. I know I can run the generator to operate it as another alternative, but prefer less noise for me and others.

Any thoughts on whether it should work off inverter and suggestions on how best to proceed?

Thanks.
Golfwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I still had my NotSoCold, I did it just once while traveling one day. I stopped to do some shopping, have lunch at a local restaurant and a small hike afterwards. Came back to the coach and the fridge was beeping, NO AC. The batteries had gotten too low to provide power to the fridge.

I totally forgot to switch it over to LPG when I parked the coach.

I never did it again as it wasn't worth the effort to remember plus I have severe CRS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfwannabee View Post
I have a Norcold 1210 IM running off 110VAC or LPG. It works OK for now. When driving at altitude the LP side drops out and error messages occur. I've had it checked out, cleaned, etc. and no trouble found. I know these things can be altitude sensitive.

My question is, why not run it off my inverter (Xantrex RV2012GS) when driving? It is not presently wired to do so. I know I can run the generator to operate it as another alternative, but prefer less noise for me and others.

Any thoughts on whether it should work off inverter and suggestions on how best to proceed?

Thanks.
According to the Norcold 1210 service manual, the 120volt current draw for that unit is 660 watts (5.5amps). Your inverter is a 2000 watt capable and will handle the draw if you have a large enough battery bank. You could run it for a short while but it will probably drain the batteries pretty fast.

Just my $.02 worth.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes they do draw the power while on electric.
Ours does not go out while on LP at altitude or for that
matter has never gone out while traveling. I would
see if there is something you can do to keep it lit.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

I tried it once from NC to Las Vegas, burned up the alternater before I got there. Can't definately say that is what caued it but the gen fuel is a lot cheaper than $400 repair bill!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I operate our Norwood 1200 on MSW inverter while traveling, without any issue. It does draw a fair amount of current and can draw down the batteries relatively quickly without the engine/alternator charging. But not during a typical lunch or pit stop period of time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
According to the Norcold 1210 service manual, the 120volt current draw for that unit is 660 watts (5.5amps). Your inverter is a 2000 watt capable and will handle the draw if you have a large enough battery bank. You could run it for a short while but it will probably drain the batteries pretty fast.

Just my $.02 worth.
Just for clarification, as long as your engine is turning the alternator, you should not have any battery drain unless you are running a lot of other stuff. I can't speak to 336muffin's problem but theoretically, there shouldn't have been a reason with his set up either. But...that is theoretical.

Now...not knowing what your house battery capabilities are, running it with the engine shut down could drain them fairly quickly if you forget to change the refer to gas only.

Personally, after getting a second opinion from a good RV tech I would opt to run the generator. Keep in mind that you wouldn't have to run it all the time if you keep the refer doors closed. Consider alternating the use of the generator with it being on for an hour then off for an hour if you are getting an LP alarm.

BTW...my previous gasser had a generator at the rear and while driving it I couldn't really hear it. My DP generator is up front and I can hear it if I listen real hard but that is generally when it is cranked up for both AC units and maybe Sandee is running the microwave to warm something up. I'm surprised your generator would be very noticeable if you are going down the road.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We run the fridge (Norcold 1200LRIM) on inverter all the time while driving. There are two AC outlets behind our fridge. One is hot when the inverter is on and the other one is not. Works for us!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of posters that run all electric refrigerators on inverters while they are traveling. I am one of them. The engine alternator charges the batteries while I am traveling and I do not have any problems. Been doing that for two years now. Longest trip doing it so far was about 5000 miles. Keep in mind that the only time a refrigerator is using current is when the temperature has gotten warm enough in the refrigerator that it has to cool back down. The rest of the time it is just a big ice chest and does not require any current.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

There are a lot of posters that run all electric refrigerators on inverters while they are traveling. I am one of them. The engine alternator charges the batteries while I am traveling and I do not have any problems. Been doing that for two years now. Longest trip doing it so far was about 5000 miles. Keep in mind that the only time a refrigerator is using current is when the temperature has gotten warm enough in the refrigerator that it has to cool back down. The rest of the time it is just a big ice chest and does not require any current.
I completely agree with your post as I have a residential fridge.

However, running a residential fridge on an inverter is TOTALLY different than running an absorption fridge on an inverter.

Apples and Oranges.....Let's stick with the topic, please!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We run the fridge (Norcold 1200LRIM) on inverter all the time while driving. There are two AC outlets behind our fridge. One is hot when the inverter is on and the other one is not. Works for us!
We swapped our plugs for this. In other words since we will run the refer on LPG while running down the highway, by plugging the icemaker of the Norcold into the inverter plug, I can leave the inverter on and it will continue making ice in the freezer. This also works great when we are boondocking.

With our solar panels the only time we will run the genset is to run the AC units. Just a matter of what each person likes because I know just 1 thing...LPG is much cheaper than diesel so running the refer on gas instead of running the genset seems to make sense to me.

Good luck!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do exactly what MShappycampers does . Works like a charm

Tags
inverter, norcold