Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Running old tires-

Yup, A fella came in today, A day late, into the campground in Coastal Maine from Maryland.

The reason he was a day late is he had a blowout on the inner right rear of his 2002, 40' "Alpha", DP (Diesel Pusher). He is the "new owner" of this rig and said "I thought I could get a trip out of the tires, since I didn't know how old they are"! I looked at the date stamped on the remaining tires sidewalls and it is "5101". This means they were born in the 51 week of '01. OUCH- ! They are Michelins.

They said they were new to RV'n- They live in Maryland. The thread is great on the remaining tires, but the sidewalls are also all cracked.

I explained the DOT code to him- he was also upset because he hurt his hand messing with something during his mishap.

Tomorrow he's looking for a new set of tires- .

Live and learn, I guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #2

After my recent tread loss on a 7 y/o tire I got proactive and have replaced all 6 on my MH, all 4 on my car trailer and both on my utility trailer.

I helped my tire guy's kid through college but I'm happy.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If old tires are so unsafe,why did GoodYear last week bring out 8 year old tires that was more suitable for the new asphalt and HIGH speeds the cars were running(218mph plus) and not have ANY tire trouble on 43 cars in 400 miles?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

my old tires where 15 years old before I replaced them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just say in....not a problem in 15 years
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Michelins were something over 8 years old when I replaced them and then only because the 305/70's I needed became available sooner than I expected and I didn't want to take a chance of them being out of stock when I really did need them.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
If old tires are so unsafe,why did GoodYear last week bring out 8 year old tires that was more suitable for the new asphalt and HIGH speeds the cars were running(218mph plus) and not have ANY tire trouble on 43 cars in 400 miles?
They brought out an 8 year old tire DESIGN.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Tomorrow he's looking for a new set of tires- .

Live and learn, I guess.
im gonna guess because its a noob RVer its not the tires fault.

Tire is over 11yrs old. Guy probably didnt check the tire pressure or got a puncture.

Did any kittens or puppies die because a diesel pusher is running very old tires??
Old 06-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit View Post
Other factors aside, the kinds of pressures and stresses that are put on an RV tire of a good sized Class A are an order of magnitude more severe than what your standard auto tire must contend with. While you might quite safely get away with an 8 year or more old tire on a car, it doesn't mean that a car tire isn't subject to the same kinds of aging problems as any other tire. Just that there are less pressures on it to expose the weaknesses.
And even if you do get a flat, it is hardly the event that a blow out on an RV can become. People choose what they are ok with and what they aren't. I recently changed my 12 year old tires because I couldn't trust them and was unwilling to put either myself or others on the line because I was being cheap. It was my lack of knowledge that kept me from changing them sooner. Maybe if you are only doing 20 mile trips on the prairie, that is one thing. A 300 hundred mile day through the mountains is quite another.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
And even if you do get a flat, it is hardly the event that a blow out on an RV can become. People choose what they are ok with and what they aren't. I recently changed my 12 year old tires because I couldn't trust them and was unwilling to put either myself or others on the line because I was being cheap. It was my lack of knowledge that kept me from changing them sooner. Maybe if you are only doing 20 mile trips on the prairie, that is one thing. A 300 hundred mile day through the mountains is quite another.
what knowledge specifically changed your mind?? There are no guarantees with new or old tires.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rusty-

That was exactly my thoughts about the "8 year old" Nascar tires used last week at MIS. It probably was an 8 year old mixture and thread with brand new tires just manufactured for that race.

Hey, the sidewall cracks on his remaining tires are significant- He'll still be here tomorrow . I might try to get some pics of these existing tires--
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not another old tires are safe to run thread.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
They brought out an 8 year old tire DESIGN.

Rusty
No Rusty they were 8 year old tires that were made for Charlotte. This queston was asked and the Goodyear spokesman (Gregg Zicker) I think his name is said the tires have been stored in a warehouse. And he had no concern what so ever of their age. By the way they did not decide to use these tires until friday night, hardly enough time to manufacture 1000 some tires and get them to the track for final practice sat. afternoon!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
what knowledge specifically changed your mind?? There are no guarantees with new or old tires.
You are quite right, there are no guarantees even with new tires but for me it came down to playing percentages. I figure that my chances are better running on a new tire over an old one. What changed my mind specifically, it was actually a number of factors.

This was my first RV and it took a little while for me to get a feel for the weight and size of the vehicle especially with some limited opportunities to actually use it. As my experience grew and the realization of just how easy it can be for these guys to get out of control if you aren't paying attention made me start playing "what if" scenarios which brought me around to the tires.

I got one flat on an inside rear which was my first warning after owning it a year. All the tires were of the same vintage so I began to read and ask questions and it became pretty clear that tires have a life span. Now much is made of the 7-8 year limit so even if you don't subscribe to that time frame, how is a 12 year tire going to stack up especially after 12 years of inflation, 12 years of use, 12 years of exposure to sunlight..... I have no doubt that 8 year old tires kept under controlled conditions in a warehouse are likely to be better shape than ones that have been exposed to the elements for the same amount of time.

I live in a mountainous region so the margin for error is narrow. There is only 1 direction that I can drive that doesn't mean some serious hills with big drops off the edges. So in the end, it made sense for me to make the change. Would I follow the 7 year assertion religiously, probably not but just like a battery, a tire has a time clock that after a certain point becomes borrowed time. How long you let the clock run is really a matter of the amount of driving, type of terrain, perceived risk to yourself and others. If you are driving for 20 miles, once per month on a back country road at 30 mph, you can probably go for 15 years. Cruising down an 8% grade with a 300 foot drop to your side, well I prefer to play conservative odds.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #14

We purchased our coach about 2 years ago. It had the original Michelin's on it. They were 6 years old and had their share of sidewall cracks. After reading so many threads on this and other forums the very first thing we did was change the tires. We paid $2600 for six new Toyo's. If the Toyo's last us six years that means it cost us $433 per year or about $36 a month for safety.