Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Running the Fridge off the Genny vs Propane While Driving.

We have traditionally travelled with our fridge running on propane while driving.
During cold weather travels we also drive with the propane furnace on.
I would be interested to hear if there are any pros or cons in using the generator to run the fridge instead of propane?
I'm not sure how the cost of gas versus propane is on an hourly basis for a fridge and 5.5 kw genny.
Thanks in advance.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

More cost effective to run on propane, unless you need the generator to run other things like air conditioning anyway.

Generator also needs to be exercised once a month, but the fridge is not enough of a load for this purpose.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I drive my rig, guzzling fuel at about 8.5mpg/35 cents per mile/35 cents per minute/.6 cents per second, the cost of running the fridge is essentially nothing, regardless of the energy source chosen. Imaging holding you hand up and dropping a penny every other second or so the whole time you at driving. There will be a pile of pennies on the floor.

My fridge is set to AUTO. If I am running the genset, the fridge runs on AC. If not, it runs on propane. It will not appreciably affect the pile of pennies, one way or the otras.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Summer/fall driving as we get near the desert areas (or say Seattle when it is 100F!) we have the generator going for the A/C so the fridge is on. Never really worry about the penny difference.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
When I drive my rig, guzzling fuel at about 8.5mpg/35 cents per mile/35 cents per minute/.6 cents per second, the cost of running the fridge is essentially nothing, regardless of the energy source chosen. Imaging holding you hand up and dropping a penny every other second or so the whole time you at driving. There will be a pile of pennies on the floor.

My fridge is set to AUTO. If I am running the genset, the fridge runs on AC. If not, it runs on propane. It will not appreciably affect the pile of pennies, one way or the otras.

1 penny every other second=30 pennies a minute=1800 pennies an hour=9000 pennies in 5 hours=$90
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

If only running the fridge, then it's not efficient to run a generator at such a low load.
You can always consider an inverter as a third option to run off the alternator and batteries.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1 penny every other second=30 pennies a minute=1800 pennies an hour=9000 pennies in 5 hours=$90
...and...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #8

Realistically the fridge doesn't put enough load off the generator to justify. But it's your rig, you can do it either way.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Occasionally I've had trouble with the fridge kicking off while driving when running on propane. In those instances, I flip the inverter on, and simply run the fridge off the main engine. Why run the generator just for the fridge?
Old 09-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post

Ditto
Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
All good points.
I do have a 1200 watt inverter on board and will consider using it too.
Cheers
Jim
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments.
All good points.
I do have a 1200 watt inverter on board and will consider using it too.
Cheers
Jim
Ours RV fridge works fine on the inverter. Only when the ambient temp gets above 100 F degrees do I switch to propane to keep the ice cream solid.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Ours RV fridge works fine on the inverter. Only when the ambient temp gets above 100 F degrees do I switch to propane to keep the ice cream solid.
I've read this often yet I do not understand it. Whether it's the electric heaters boiling the ammonia/hydrogen mix or the propane burner doing it, boiling is boiling. It should not matter what the heat source is. What am I missing?

Ray
Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #14

Running the refrigerator on propane while traveling could easily cause a fiery catastrophe in the event of an accident.

Tags
fridge, propane