Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rust on the Propane Tank

We're ready to make an offer on a 2002 Dutch Star. While we were doing our once-over before submitting our offer, I noticed that there are rust patches on the propane tank. Just a few - one about 15 square inches and a few other small spots. The salesman (who I know and trust from a different hobby we share) told me that this amount of rust is typical in a coach this age, and that it is not as pronounced as the tank in his MH. Yes I know and trust him, but he IS, after all, a salesman.

He said that the body shop could clear the rust and spot paint the tank. One concern I have is that there may be rust where I can't see and they can't easily paint. Another is that the little BBQ-type tanks have to be inspected every few years and re-stamped, so shouldn't there be something similar for stationary tanks?

Your thoughts and experiences will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
just a little paint and some elbo grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
We're ready to make an offer on a 2002 Dutch Star. While we were doing our once-over before submitting our offer, I noticed that there are rust patches on the propane tank. Just a few - one about 15 square inches and a few other small spots. The salesman (who I know and trust from a different hobby we share) told me that this amount of rust is typical in a coach this age, and that it is not as pronounced as the tank in his MH. Yes I know and trust him, but he IS, after all, a salesman.

He said that the body shop could clear the rust and spot paint the tank. One concern I have is that there may be rust where I can't see and they can't easily paint. Another is that the little BBQ-type tanks have to be inspected every few years and re-stamped, so shouldn't there be something similar for stationary tanks?

Your thoughts and experiences will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

No one is going to be looking for the year or inspection at the filling station. If it is damaged or very rusty they may refuse to fill it. My tank was rusty on the 1999 Winne but they suggest I get a wire brush, sand it and paint it.

I look good now and every year I spray a little more nice grey paint on it.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

If it's surface rust I wouldn't worry about it. Have the dealer fix the rust. If it's heavily pitted I would request a new tank be installed. Also, look around the bottom of the coach really good. A lot of folk drive them in winter times with salt on the ground and the bottom of the coach ends up with lots of cancer.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

The built-in ASME tanks don't need to be re certified. The portable DOT marked tanks are supposed to be re certified every so many years. A little surface rust on the tank would not concern me.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

While it's not likely, it is possible the unit was in a flood. Look it over, especially under, and in all the basement compartments. Pay special attention to any exposed screw heads, metal parts, and metal trim to see if there is any rusting on them.

If the rust is superficial and only on the propane tank, I don't think I would worry much. The tank can be wire brushed, sanded, repainted, and still be in good condition.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
The built-in ASME tanks don't need to be re certified. The portable DOT marked tanks are supposed to be re certified every so many years. A little surface rust on the tank would not concern me.
Agree.
Mine has some surface rust also which could be sanded and repainted but IMHO, it is not an issue.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbit View Post
While it's not likely, it is possible the unit was in a flood. Look it over, especially under, and in all the basement compartments. Pay special attention to any exposed screw heads, metal parts, and metal trim to see if there is any rusting on them.

If the rust is superficial and only on the propane tank, I don't think I would worry much. The tank can be wire brushed, sanded, repainted, and still be in good condition.

Good luck.
You bring up a good point. We bought our first RV, which was a pop-up camper without even thinking about it. We just looked it over really well and bought it. Our next RV, a TT, was brand new, and the same for our Class A. If you were to buy a used TT, 5th, etc. is there a carfax available. That should tell you if it's ever been in a flood, salvaged, etc. Right?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #8

Quote:

This.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Checks

I bought a report from RVChecks.com. I don't know if it is different from Carfax, but it seems to have relevant information. It has only be titled once, does not have any liens, no flood claims, no total loss, etc.

I think I will make the brushing and spot painting a condition of sale.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
little rust shouldnt hurt, but i was told by my household lp guy, that tanks (sm grill size). have a date on them, an are not suppose to be filled i think it was 10 yrs past that date. not sure if tanks on a rv carry same.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is rust, Rust and RUST!!!

The first is surface ruse.. You can almost wipe it off.. Then re-paint with a good rust control paint such as ACME or Sherman Williams.

(OK so I used to work for Acme Quality Paints, division of Sherman Williams and am thus biased).

IF it's a bit worse. .You can "Rust Convert" it (Naval Jelly?) then see above.

if it's RUST! you have a problem.

Alas, I can't tell which it is from here but I suspect the first (rust) .
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Unless he is in Canada. Here tanks require a re-certification every 5 years for frame mounted ASME tanks.

And if the tank is rusted to the point that it is pitted, then be careful.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

How exactly do you get an RV frame mounted tank re-certified? I would assume it needs to be removed and a hydrostatic and or interior visual inspection completed. Ive never heard of one being removed and inspected. Anyone had this done???

Just looked it up and found this answer.

"The rules for this type of propane container (horizontally permanently installed) are governed by ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. "
Old 02-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
Unless he is in Canada. Here tanks require a re-certification every 5 years for frame mounted ASME tanks.

And if the tank is rusted to the point that it is pitted, then be careful.
My tank was 11 years old and it was never re-certified or ever asked for one when refilling the tank.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, rust, tank