Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

RV and Boating

With Spring just around the corner, we have reserved sites with small lakes. So does anyone take along a rubber fishing raft, that can be stored in compartments of MH ? We may be ordering a Mariner 4 raft , complete with oars and motor-mount either for electric or 3 hp gas. I know most places rent them out but then your always watching the time. And the mariner has a 4 star rating... Was also checking out the Sea Eagle rafts at double the price.
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Exclamation

Inflatables come in all prices - and qualities.

The most significant differences are the material and its thickness (or gauge), and the types of seams used.

If you are going to use it more than very occasionally, I suggest you look into this before making a final choice. Otherwise make sure you have really good PFDs.

Just sayin'...
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pro Coupe 34, We purchased a Canoe 2 years ago. We carry on our Toad's Luggage rack. Has came in Handy when you want to get on the Lake or Pond water at the camp ground. Not hard to take on or off. You can also get Kayak's to carry on your toad. We do take the Canoe off the Toad at the campsite if we are going to stay put for a time or two.

I would think the Vinyl life raft would get banged up a bit in and out of the cargo hold of your MH.

Just my .02

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I've used an inflatable dinghy and an electric trolling
motor to cruise around in FL Keys. Had a blast, watch
your voltage, I was able to putz around for two hours
and make it back. Takes up very little storage space.
Have fun !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

How about a Porta-Bote? They fold pretty flat and from what I remember can take a decent sized motor. An inflatable seems like a lot of work to setup, take down, dry out and pack up.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV and Boating

We carry a 10ft Mercury inflatable boat and 8hp outboard with 6 gallons gas. We are able to run the flats for miles.
Boatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #7

We fish in Alaska and use a 14' Sea Eagle inflatable with a 20hp Yamaha. We go 10-15 miles from Valdez small boat harbor into the Prince William Sound and see waves and chop up to 3-4' when conditions get bad. The boat, floor pieces and associated gear is transported in the RV basement and in the back of the pickup. We also have a boat trailer unassembled in the basement that we use for storing, transporting and launching. Takes us a morning to put everything together or break it down. A great outfit and we get excellent support from Sea Eagle for parts and accessories. This Sept we brought a 17 cu ft freezer full of shrimp, halibut and salmon down from this summer's effort. YUM.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #8

I wish I had kept my AVON Rescue.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Monkey Run we used to go fishing up your neck of the woods. Lake Ontario, the lake you never turn your back on.
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV and Boating

I love our Sea Eagle kayak, as well. If you want stability and a floor you can stand up in, it's worth the extra cost.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_coupe 34 View Post
Monkey Run we used to go fishing up your neck of the woods. Lake Ontario, the lake you never turn your back on.
Indeed, if you don't like the weather on the big O, wait a few minutes. The worst one we have been caught in was in our 29', when we finally made home port the waves were flying up and over the east pier. I lost one engine as I entered the channel, the other one quit just as I slid into our slip. It was such a rough ride that the crud at the bottom of both tanks plugged my fuel filters (I had cleaned the tanks prior too!). God was with us.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
How about a Porta-Bote? They fold pretty flat and from what I remember can take a decent sized motor. An inflatable seems like a lot of work to setup, take down, dry out and pack up.
I used to have a 12' Portabote that I had set up to carry on the top of the CR-V toad but I found that it was not worth it to drag a boat on top of the toad when it was not used very much. I am not an avid fisherman! Additionally as I get older -76 - with my right shoulder being a little bit awkward due to a repaird former rotator cuff injury and a subsequent non-repairable injury I didn't feel like lugging it around and lifting it up to the roof rack I sold the Porta-bote. I did have a small hojmemade cart with wheels from Harbor Freight and a 1 1/2" PVC pipe frame but that took some storage space.

I still have an inflatable 9' fisher-hunter sevylor that will work for the few times I get on the water. I have a motor mount but no motor. If I get an electric motor I will try to get a battery that will fit in the small space in my battery rack. I would try to get connections to either the two battery starting setup or to the 4 battery house setup - that way it will be in a vented compartment with charging capability available. I don't want to mess with transporting a gas outboard and gas can.

When I had a truck with a 5th wheel it was easier to tranport the porta-bote and to store an outboard and fuel in the truck box where it would be vented (also perhaps an easy mark for a thief to pick-up if it wasn't locked securely).

I just got a Sea Eagle catalog in the mail and they have a 9' Motormount Boat that has a separate inflatable floor and you can stand up to fish. It is $499 including shipping. It weighs 35# and with the Floorboard and motor mount it weighs 50#. It might be worth a look.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
How about a truck innertube and a kayak paddle!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #14

I would love to see some examples of zodiac style set ups that would fit in my basement or in the trunk of a toad. We like to go down to Fort Meyers and hang out and having a boat would make it easier to take a cooler without breaking the rules at hotel beaches & city parks.

Pics?