Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question RV 'antifreeze' for grey/black tanks??

Happy New Year :-) I have read on many threads here, about using "RV Antifreeze" in the grey & black tanks if you are running thru a cold area below-or-near freezing. I do not mean static storage and winterizing....I am refeing to RVing thru some cold nights for a few days or so. I have read the phrase "RV antifreeze in the tanks" , and not sre what kind they are refering to, or how much? Any help appreciated, we may need this later in Jan. & Feb.
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use about 2 pints in each tank. I make sure to drain both before a cold weather trip. If the trip is more than a few days and I've added more waste water to the tanks than 2 pints will protect I add more of the pink stuff
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
:-) ???:-)

:-) hi, thanks....but.....
Two pints of "What"??
What is the "pink stuff" ??
Is it windshield wiper fluid? Toxic for dump sites? Help...

Still hoping to hear a "What...How much...When" if anyone can help
Thanks for the above....that's exactly why I'm asking the "What, How much, etc." question....
Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
:-) ???

It's NOT radiator antifreeze, is it ??!!!
just trying to get a name of and amounts to use.....
I am also concerned not to put something into a dump site that is toxic or does not belong there...
Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Anything labeled RV Antifreeze, Wallmart usually has the PINK STUFF, just a cup or two will do you, it's not an exact science......
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
"Pink Stuff" is "RV Antifreeze" available from RV dealers, WalMart, etc. It is pink colored. It is NOT toxic, even if you drink it. When we are traveling I have NEVER put rv antifreeze in my tanks, traps, etc because as long as there is heat inside my MH, there is enough heat below to keep things from freezing ...my MH has an enclosed belly and the LP furnaces put a little heat into the enclosed area. We use RV antifreeze ONLY when we winterize our MH if it is in storage in freezing weather.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #7

Not everyone has enclosed heated holding tanks. Also, if you get into freezing weather and do not have antifreeze, keep the water moving, Run, Flush and create water movement every HR, moving water will not freeze....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ohhhh....

Thanx....:-) I think....:-)
So the Pink Stuff is " an RV Antifreeze" , perhaps to be used to winterize the lines for cold winter storage, yes? We are 'newbies' with our 1st MH and 1st Class A.....
It's been fantastic so far...Lazy Days in Fl has been great too...We want to take a few short trips north from FL and be protected if an overnight low gets below 32....so far, so good, just have had no experience with this so called "Pink Stuff" :-) :-)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #9

Here's what the Pink Stuff looks like

Amazon.com: Camco Mfg. 30807 RV Antifreeze (Pack of 6 - 1 Gallon Containers - 6 Gallons Total): Home Improvement
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #10

My personal experience has shown that your outside water supply would be more of a concern in cold temperatures than your black or grey tank. I have gone in sub zero temperatures and my black and gray froze only creating a problem of getting rid of the waste. I may have gotten lucky with neither tank cracking but a little RV antifreeze and you should be fine.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #11

I use the pink stuff in my holding tanks only to protect valves. I pour about 1/3 gallon in each tank. If your holding tanks are empty or are holding a small amount of liquid, it will not cause any damage if the liquid freezes since it has a lot of room to expand. Freeze damage is caused by the liquid expanding and then breaking whatever is trying to contain it (pipes, valves, tanks..if they are full), hoses, etc.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #12

when home in jan from northwesteren ontario canada, its around-20-30c everthing is frozen, we pull the bus out(it is winterized) head out south, takes about 2 days before in warm weather to fill our fresh tank, for the trip we stay in the bus but use pink rv stuff to flush toilet, and carry water for washing , we add about 1\2 gal in grey water tank, no pink stuff in the fresh tank, when we stop and its hot out then ill flush the system. works just fine, and you can still use bathroom when travelling

gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Yeahhhhh!!! U Guys R Great.......pics and everything......wow! Thanks! This really Helps!! :-)