Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

RV Antifreeze Recovery Procedure

Is it possible to blow the water lines out with air then fill them with rv antifreeze and then recover some of that same antifreeze by blowing it back out into containers next spring? Thus recycleing the antifreeze. I know this sounds like I'm a cheapskate but I would rather spend the money on a couple more gallons of fuel each year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
Is it possible to blow the water lines out with air then fill them with rv antifreeze and then recover some of that same antifreeze by blowing it back out into containers next spring? Thus recycleing the antifreeze. I know this sounds like I'm a cheapskate but I would rather spend the money on a couple more gallons of fuel each year.
U-2 Pilot..
I just blow my lines out.. no antifreeze... Not had any issues using this system.. I do pour a bit into all sink, shower and any other traps to be sure they don't freeze..
Just Sayin
Ron
BTW Thanks for your service
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
U-2 Pilot..
I just blow my lines out.. no antifreeze... Not had any issues using this system.. I do pour a bit into all sink, shower and any other traps to be sure they don't freeze..
Just Sayin
Ron
BTW Thanks for your service
I'd be careful promoting that idea... I tried that a few years back on a 2002 Beaver Patriot... Blew the lines with 60 PSI air pressure for 5 minutes... I thought all was well until next spring when I tried to put fresh water aboard. Seems there was enough residual water left in the hydro hot water tank area that it pooled into a low pex fitting and cracked it. It was a MAJOR pain to get into to repair... for me, pass the "pink" stuff please.

To specifically answer your question... you probably could capture the antifreeze... BUT, you're going to have to do it at every outlet in your rig... is that really worth the cost of 6 gallons of antifreeze?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Reusing RV/Marine antifreeze isn't the best idea. It provides the rated protection only when the solution is 100% antifreeze. It's meant to be used to replace the water in the lines not mix with it. In fact RV "antifreeze" will actually freeze or turn to a slush when the temperatures approach the -20* mark. The protection lies in the fact that it does not expand like water when it freezes. When mixed with water the water itself will still freeze and expand. At $1.99 a gallon, and the fact that it only takes 2 gallons per year to fully winterize our RV, I don't think I woulld risk reusing it.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

I catch the RV anti-freeze in the original container. I don't use compressed air, just plain water to de-winterize. I treat the fresh water tank with the proper bleach/water mixture then pump it through the lines. I catch the anti-freeze until it begins to weaken in color, then shut the faucet and go to the next one. RV anti-freeze here is only $2.99/G, but like Ben Franklin said: "watch your pennies and the dollars will watch themselves".
Since it says on the jug it may be diluted from the OEM -50* protection, I use it two years before discarding. Yes, it is environmentally safe to pour down the drain according to the MSDS. I normally use two gallons of RV anti-freeze to winterize, and recover about 1 1/4, the other 3/4 went into "P " traps and holding tanks.
I've never had a frozen water line this way. I did have a frozen line one year when I was persuaded to only use compressed air_lesson learned.
I don't know how winterizing our MH will turn out, this is our first winter for it and us.Might not have to winterize at all if we leave for Naval Air Station Key West after Thanksgiving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote