Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"wnytaxman"....I waited a day for you to respond and nothing, so I typed something, apparently at the same time. I figured you must still be finishing up tax season!

In California, the largest portion of our registration is deductible. My Newmar registration this year was $1600.00, If I recall, about $900.00 was deductible.

Don,

I've still got a bunch of extensions, but mostly this time of the year is taken up with my twins being home from college. As they get older they seem to be getting more expensive.

Ed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think the whole point here is that an RV does indeed qualify as a "second home" under federal tax rules. [It may or may not qualify as one if your state has an income tax, but that's another question.] Federal rules allow certain tax deductions for homes, which others have already described. It's the same deduction rules whether the "home" is site built, mobile home, or RV, and the same whether it is "first" or "second". And there are no deductions that are unique to RVs.

Likewise, if you paid sales tax on the RV purchase, vehicle sales tax is another category that is usually deductible on the federal return. See the IRS rules for sales tax deductions as they apply to the state where you paid the tax and see what it says.
It is pointless for us to try to reproduce the pages of IRS deductions rules here.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
South Carolina has a cap of 300.00 on sales tax on rv's
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Don't think you can deduct interest on second home (RV) if you are subject to minimum tax. It hits more and more of us every year as it is not adjusted for inflation.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
Can you write off the registration?
Our NH state registration fee was not federally deductible, but town 'registration fee' was a deduction on our federal taxes. Had to send a copy of the registration to IRS as the $4700 town fee was not believed. Heck, I didn't believe it when we had to pay it as it was based on the manufacturers msrp, not what was actually paid for the rv . Sure hope the second year is a bit less!
Old 07-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
South Carolina has a cap of 300.00 on sales tax on rv's

SC also recognizes an RV as second home for property tax purposes as well. Since it only uses the chassis as the vehicle property tax. My property tax is only 30 bucks a year.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSully View Post
Our NH state registration fee was not federally deductible, but town 'registration fee' was a deduction on our federal taxes. Had to send a copy of the registration to IRS as the $4700 town fee was not believed. Heck, I didn't believe it when we had to pay it as it was based on the manufacturers msrp, not what was actually paid for the rv . Sure hope the second year is a bit less!
OMG!! I'd "get the heck out of Dodge". That's robbery.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We paid sales tax on the first $12,000 of our 2014 Dutch Star in Florida. I believe that is the rule here?
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
OMG!! I'd "get the heck out of Dodge". That's robbery.
It sure is. Virtually no income tax( unless dividends & interest are high) so NH gets us on any property tax ��. Would love to get out, but kids/grandkids are in area ��
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #24

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSully View Post

I move out of NH about 20 years ago. Glad I did. I'm amazed at how much NH has changed over the years. It is no longer the "Live Free or die" state that I remember. If they not careful they will end up like CT. High property tax and an income tax.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #25
Community Administrator

I live in Fl. and pay sales tax on the entire purchase price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
We paid sales tax on the first $12,000 of our 2014 Dutch Star in Florida. I believe that is the rule here?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote