Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
RV batteries

The RV is shore connected...120v. Batteries run dead using lights and other 12v appliances. Batteries are not charging. Does anyone have an idea as to what is the cause for the batteries not charging. Chassis battery charges.

oc4521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Usually, chassis batteries are charged from the alternator when you're driving. As for the house batteries not charging on shore power I would check the converter/charger for power output and/or if it's connected correctly.

borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Also check the circuit breakers on the converter/charger. They are sometimes hidden on the side of the box. When you put your hand on the C/C and see if you feel vibration or heat. When it's really working, a fan probably comes on too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
What type of RV ya got?
Year make and model Class ABC
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Ditto that on the inverter/charger. It depends in the year and model of the inverter but there is an internal fuse that went bad on ours. Even when hooked up to shore power the house batteries would drain because the shore power was not "sensed" by the inverter/charger due to the bad fuse. It would help to know what set up you have.
2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
330 HP Cummins ISC
2007 Dodge Ram 4 X 4 (Hemi)
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Batteries do not charge when plugged in = Converter not working.

Why would converter not work

Tripped circuit breaker (You have the supply (park/house) breaker, and the RV's breaker) Failed Transfer Switch (NOT all rv's have a transfer switch)

Screw loose (many RVers have a few screws loose, if one of them is the screw that connects the wire to the circuit breaker, inlet, outlet, transfer switch, or bus bar,, Well, no power to the converter (you thought I mean a different type of screw?). I had several loose in my breaker box.

Blown reverse polarity fuse or breaker on converter

Blown converter: If this is the case I have two recommendations.

IF the converter is a "Stand alone" not part of a larger assembly
Progressive Dynamics intella-Power 9200 series (match the last too digits as close as you can to what you have now)

If it is part of a power center (Breaker/fuse box) Then go with the 4600

No better converter that I can find.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
My first thought would be how old are the batteries and have you checked the water levels in the battery. If you have been plugged in for a long time they may have used the distilled water in them and are now to low to charge. They do have a lifetime too. I found that out. Mine wouldn't hold charge and I found out they were bad and I had to replace both. Now I check the water level once a month and fill with distilled water if needed.
Kingston, Ontario
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
RV Batteries

Originally Posted by GregOk80 View Post
What type of RV ya got?
Year make and model Class ABC
2004 Georgetown 359ts.
oc4521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Start with the basics, Check/fill the water levels and disconnect/clean/re-tighten the connections, no matter how clean they look. Then measure the voltage without shore power, then measure again with shore power.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote