Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

RV Batteries and Winter

Hello All,

quick question for you all about batteries and winter, my dilemma is:

do I keep the motorhome plugged in to power all thru the winter

or

do I unplug the main power and connect the batteries to a trickle charger

which is better in your opinion?

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know the correct answer, but I ordered 2 of these. One for the house batteries and one for the chassis batteries.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 step Battery Charger: Automotive

The corvette community seems pretty enamored with them so I figured they must be OK.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I make sure everything is totally off, then check the batteries with a volt meter once a month. I then plug motor home in to charge batteries if they are a bit low. I'm always surprised at how stable the batteries remain. My house batteries are seven years old so it's working for me. I also take batteries out of the tray each spring, clean as well as I can, check water levels, replace making sure connections are tight, and liberally use a terminal protection product.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

If concerned about winter temps, a fully charged battery can't freeze. I leave MH connected to 20amp socket.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #5

Fully charged batteries Will Not Freeze.
So, if you have access to shore power (20 Amp Min) leave the disconnect switches for the Chassis and House Batteries turned on and plug into shore power for the winter.
All you need to do is check the Electrolyte levels every 6-8 weeks to make sure the level does not drop below the top of the plates.
No need for aux charger or disconnecting your batteries.
By keeping them fully charged, they will not freeze and will extend the normal service life to about 8-10 years. As long as the charge rate is no more than 13.9 volts, electrolyte levels are maintained and terminal connections are kept clean.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

It depends on what you have for a built in charger. Most folks have a simple converter that will cook the batteries over time. If one really has a 4 level charger that really monitors the state of charge and adjusts accordingly then plug in. Make sure it also monitors the starting battery. If not sure or if there is no charging function for the starting battery then it is time for the small battery minder type of devices or periodic monitoring and charging. Either way works.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #7

Why not do two things at once. Start your generator and let it charge the batteries for two hours each month while in storage. That way the batteries stay charged and the generator gets the exercise it needs on a monthly basis.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It depends on what you have for a built in charger. Most folks have a simple converter that will cook the batteries over time. If one really has a 4 level charger that really monitors the state of charge and adjusts accordingly then plug in. Make sure it also monitors the starting battery. If not sure or if there is no charging function for the starting battery then it is time for the small battery minder type of devices or periodic monitoring and charging. Either way works.

Good point, the OP does not give us any information as to what what model/year the motorhome is. Most late model coaches have a 3 stage charging system.
I keep forgetting not everyone has a Newmar,
Old 10-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #9

When we are home, ours is plugged in to a standard 110 volt household outlet 24/7.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 10-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #10

Forgot to mention that it is a 2016 Thor A.C.E. 30.2

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Running gen under load with "AC on" in winter????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Why not do two things at once. Start your generator and let it charge the batteries for two hours each month while in storage. That way the batteries stay charged and the generator gets the exercise it needs on a monthly basis.
I was waiting for someone to mention this strategy. Thank you. That is what I plan on doing as I do not have access to shore power and removing my batteries and reinstalling would be a major PIA and back, too (3 batteries located under stairs).

Two hours is a long time as my MH will be in a remote storage facility and not at home. I'm uncomfortable running the generator without being there, so I plan on 30 minutes every month as I have read elsewhere, just making sure I have the battery switches on while running gen.

The other question is that all recommendations cite running the gen "under load", as in running the air conditioner. How do you do that when its 20 degrees F inside and outside of coach?
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2 electric heaters will be enough load. The ceramic heaters will do the job.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a great idea. Thanks!
scharfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfm View Post
I was waiting for someone to mention this strategy. Thank you. That is what I plan on doing as I do not have access to shore power and removing my batteries and reinstalling would be a major PIA and back, too (3 batteries located under stairs).

Two hours is a long time as my MH will be in a remote storage facility and not at home. I'm uncomfortable running the generator without being there, so I plan on 30 minutes every month as I have read elsewhere, just making sure I have the battery switches on while running gen.

The other question is that all recommendations cite running the gen "under load", as in running the air conditioner. How do you do that when its 20 degrees F inside and outside of coach?

First, if you don't have power, I suggest removing the Negative cable from each battery bank. Just shutting off the switches will not fully isolate the batteries and as such, in a months time, they will likely be dead and frozen. You need to remove ALL Parasitic load by removing the Negative cable.
Next, Running the generator for 30 minutes per month will not bring them to full charge. Suggest reconnecting the Neg cables, start the generator with a couple of Ceramic Heaters and run for at least 1.5 - 2 hours.

Tags
batteries, winter