Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

RV battery’s questions and concerns

Hey guys so my RV battery’s are having issues

My coach started up easy and seemed all ok. Dash reading 14V. I only turned the chassis battery’s on and left the house battery’s off.

Driving home to load up for my trip the ac and headlights etc would dim and quit and then pick right back up. This happen 5-7 times with in 20 minutes.

The battery gauge panel/charger/inverter on/off etc panel showed 8.5V dead battery with a fault.

I have to evacuate SC cause hurricane florance is coming and I’m very worried

RV is 2 years old but used only since a year ago was a dealer left over....

What is going on ?

When the lights dim and AC quits the dash volt gauge goes to 8-10V and after 2-3 seconds just right back up to 14....

When I got home I plug the RV in and charging

Worried I have problems the RV sat for a month and this is what I got. All battery blade were turned off etc.

Thanks in advanced waiting to hear from y’all before I roll out
lmldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
you didn't say what coach you have so just a wild guess. But if I leave my house batteries off (as you said you did) and engine batteries on, you're going to get wacky issues that can't be explained.

It also possible your batteries are bad. Maybe have them load tested when it's convenient.

Good luck.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

RV battery’s questions and concerns

Worried ALT might be going out but at 4100 miles and a Cummins I’m top. Hard to imagine

2018 legacy 38C diesel pusher
4100 miles

Understand I have never not turned both sets of battery’s on and this was the first time they did not want to charge up and stay going

Have had battery’s low before but if they start the coach I had no issues

Thanks guys, storm has me nervous and I want to roll
lmldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:13 AM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Turn on all your batteries and see what happens. Why didn't you want to turn on your house batteries?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Wiggle for a loose connection?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

Sounds like a voltage regulator going bad in alternator turn on all them batteries charge them up and get going don’t run anything not nessesary
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #7

I had a similar occurrence when my alternator failed. I just started the house generator and drove the last 400 miles running it. All the batteries were charged nearly full when we got home. In a pinch, it might work for you if your coach electrical system is setup the same. Check the voltage of the house and chassis batteries before starting the genny and again after to confirm it is working.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I had something like that when I had a bad cell in my battery. If it is no a maintenance free battery you can test it with a hydrometer (sp?) and look at each cell's state to confirm it. Or play it safe and just replace it and bug out before the hurricane.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

Well you certainly need to get out of there NOW for traffic reasons alone that will certainly build quickly tomorrow. Leave tonight and get at least 3, 4 or 5 hrs. west and if you have to stay in a hwy rest area or a Walmart...fine. Just get out NOW. Tomorrow will be to late.

Fill up with fuel, check your water levels on ALL BATT's and fill accordingly, start up and go west, worry about the rest later.

GO, GO, GO...God speed.

We're in Orlando, Florida right now and watching all this very closely.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery