Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #29

This seems like a universal theme. Taking the chance that I am putting words into someone's mouth, a message to CGs - the 10 year rule doesn't work- if the criterion is all about age, there are good people travelling in beautiful 20+ yo MHs. We get that there need to be controls, but MH age on its own is not the sole control.
J

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #30

Our motorhome will be 30 next year. DW and I have never been asked about our motorhome when going into a CG. But then we try and take good care of it.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #31

It's all about the condition of the RV. My friend just sold a 2001 Montana and when ever he was asked the age he said it was 2007. It was kept washed and waxed and looked great. No one ever asked to see the title.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #32

We currently have a 2008 Airstream Classic 34' with slide so the 10 year rule that we have seen is no issue... yet. Wasn't an issue when we had our '77 Airstream International 27' or our 22' 1968 Airstream Safari either... Just told 'em they were 7 years old.

'Course, they were fully restored, too...

The next question was always "They still make those Airstreams?".
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do totally agree with those who say they won't spend their $$ in a park with the 10 yr rule. One of the worst experiences we ever had was at a "resort" while snow birding in Florida in 2010. It was a mixture of monthly rental sites and "owned" sites. Several of the owner occupied sites were overrun with vehicles, misc belongings and cranky people. When I inquired we were told that some who had lost their homes in the downturn had moved lock stock and barrel into their rigs. In one instance there were two generations in a DP. I'll take an older well maintained rug any day. Guess we aren't "resort" people.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #34

Discrimination...

As we all know and see on the news every day that Discrimination is alive and living well in the USA... RV Parks are not immune to discrimination either!

Although I have a well cared for 1997 Discovery and I have never been refused a space, I do take it as an offense that a park even has that rule. If I see that rule I will not use or stay at that RV Park. I will also make it a point of letting others know and ask that they find another RV Park.

Which RV Park you stay at should not be made on how much you spend on your RV.

What's next? If YOU are over 65 you will be refused service?

We at RVRetirees.com support all campers and their rights.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #35

Age Descrimination

So here is the question... should RV's be subject to the "Age Rule"?

In my opinion the criteria should be... "Is your RV roadworthy, safe & fully functional?"
  • SAFE:
The electrical and mechanical system up to code and fully functional
  • Roadworthy:
The RV is able to move under its own power system in the a case of Emergency. Power systems should include all it's engine & transmission systems, steering, braking, and suspension are all functioning to the factory specifications ability. Can pass state highway patrol vehicle inspection.
  • Fully Functioning
: All the self sustaining factory systems are up to code and fully functioning. Those system included are fresh, grey & black water tanks functioning and not leaking. House electrical systems (12V DC & 120 V AC) pass state code minimums, hygiene systems (shower, kitchen, toilet) are functioning to the state health codes.

If RV Parks do not like this suggestion then how about we start a "Class Action" law suit of Age Discrimination? Let see how they like that one...???

Phill@RVRetirees.com
Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireDude View Post
As we all know and see on the news every day that Discrimination is alive and living well in the USA... RV Parks are not immune to discrimination either!

Although I have a well cared for 1997 Discovery and I have never been refused a space, I do take it as an offense that a park even has that rule. If I see that rule I will not use or stay at that RV Park. I will also make it a point of letting others know and ask that they find another RV Park.

Which RV Park you stay at should not be made on how much you spend on your RV.

What's next? If YOU are over 65 you will be refused service?

We at RVRetirees.com support all campers and their rights.
The difference is age rules on RV's are not illegal like the are concerning people.
So, you are free to complain about it and move on down the road. Our 13 yr old Dutch Star was never questioned and I don't expect problems with the Magna either. Just keep them looking nice and there shouldn't be any problems.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #37

John,

I would always buy used rather than new. Last summer we bought a 2014 42' Tiffin at a substantially reduced cost from the original MSRP, previous to that I had bought a 2009 Ellipse that was couple of years old. You just have to take your time and be patient looking for the right one (for all the shoes).

Ric
Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #38

So if you are 70years old or older are you welcome in RV Parks? I am getting a little rusty and wrinkled and don't look as good when I was ten years younger.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #39

Smile older units

though we often see that park do not allow units past 10 years old, ours is a 2000 and we've never been refused. we've been told that parks use that caveat to refuse space to units that are ill kept. As long as the owner keeps his unit looking decent, age makes no difference, it seems.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusiyc View Post
though we often see that park do not allow units past 10 years old, ours is a 2000 and we've never been refused. we've been told that parks use that caveat to refuse space to units that are ill kept. As long as the owner keeps his unit looking decent, age makes no difference, it seems.
As much as I dislike the words 'sue them', I really can't see how this would go over in the courts.

If a park has a 'printed' statement of 'no RVs over 10 years' and has told you that you couldn't stay and yet if you look in the park and see other RVs obviously over 10 yr then why were they let in? Their rules state 'NO' RVs over 10 yr.

The RV parks can't legally let some in and tell others 'no'.

To make it legal they are going to excluded ALL RVs over 10 years - not pick and choose.

Regardless, we would never stay in a park that mentions 'age' of RVs.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like the initial question of new or used was lost in the frey. And, "buy the last coach first," is yet another important discussion.

The new or used question is huge if you are just starting out as full timers. If, you find that you don't care for the life, and If you buy a new 40'+ DP coach and want to sell it, you will lose a massive amount of money.

When we went full time, we waded in from the shallow end and bought a 2006 38J Adventurer for less than the first year loss on a new 40'+ DP. We love the life and still have the 38J!

It's very difficult to buy the last coach first (in my opinion). A five year old coach would save you $$$$$$ and give you five years of no worries on the 10 year old park rule.

No matter what you decide, Happy and Safe Travels. Mike
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #42

I am a Newbie in my first few months of Full Time. I bought a really nice 1996 Fleetwood Bounder and I am having a great time. I have been a full time musician my entire life and have toured in buses, RV's and planes for 40 years (Even have some Grammy Nominations) and I am thriilled to be joining the ranks...SO far not a single park has had a problem with my '96....I just say, I'm older and in the Blues Hall Of Fame..LOL