Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 AM   #43
Originally Posted by ThatzGuy View Post
Doing the Prep work to begin full-timing in 2017, surfed the net, these boards, spoke to folks and have come down to a short list of NEW Class A DPs.

Now looking at the 40 foot Plus Options on the USED market. I know that what I like today will not be available when I buy, but the quality and options should be.

I respect the concept that I have read, buy your last coach first. DW insists that she be comfortable and have room for her shoes

Here is one item I can't get over that is making me slant towards NEW. THE TEN YEAR RULE. The town I live in has 5 'RV parks'. Since I intend to come back to this area for about a month a year, I visited every one of them and they ALL say they have this 10-year limit. They all have paperwork you sign that you can be forced out at any time, that letting you in does not waive the rule, and that any residual rent paid is forfeit. They say there is a trend for private parks to adopt the rule 'to keep out the riff-raff", but that it is an excuse that is randomly followed to suit the Owners' or managers' needs.

My question is ... Do you think this is going to become the norm?

I have a 2004 Newmar. It's never been an issue. I believe it gives the park owners a nice way of keeping unkempt units out!
There are a lot of vintage motor homes that are gorgeous, clean & well maintained.

Pdxportie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #44
One option is private property. We found an outstanding place with full hookups, the use of two storage building on three and half acres with spectacular views. A great home base with no coach age rules. An option that may be worth looking into.

Tim & Ruth
Alpine Coach 1999 40FDS, 350 ISC
Project Restoration
AKOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
And here I thought it was just to keep out the "Cousin Eddies", oh wait. . . . .

homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #46
We had a 1996 Winnebago, the only time we were questioned was when we applied at Poulson Motorcoach in Polson Montana. We found another great park down the road and had a great time. We took a drive to see who shut us out and even I felt ok about it. Nothin but Prevost and the ilk. I'm guessing soon if you have a split windshield your out. But really it should be about condition not age. Our new to us 08 KountryStar looks near new. Many older RVs also look like new. These are expensive investments and owners usually look after them well.
2008 KSDP/2013 Flex
They're both paid for and they're ours!
rlott2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #47
I have driven my 14 year old Tiffin Allegro Bus from Orlando Florida to Deadhorse Alaska with over 2 cumulative nights on the road. I have seen these rules in many camp grounds over the past 3 years but I have never been challenged due to the age of my coach. I keep my coach in excellent condition and we are generally only two older travelers so that may also factor into the process. I have seen one family of 4 in a good looking older coach being refused a spot, but I was only vaguely aware of the happenings and do not know the other circumstances.

It is my personal opinion that if I am ever refused service due to the age of my coach, the campground will not like my response on social media and I will gleefully leave the premises and move on to a more hospitable location.

While I am sympathetic with the squatter problem, there are hundreds of thousands of "Older RV's" still on the road and irritating this large portion of their clientele will not go well for any campground. The word will get out and they will find they will have no more campers thus no money. This change will occur rapidly with little impact on the campers as the number of camp sites is growing as are the various campsite sharing websites.

With that said, I am still in favor of purchasing a use RV at least for your first entry into the activity. Not only was it hard for me to figure out what I needed, what I needed changed over the years. As a close friend put it, If you purchase a used one and find out next week you made a mistake, you can sell it for almost what you paid for it and try again. With a new one you lose thousands of dollars when you drive off the lot.

This is the primary reason I recommend purchasing a carefully vetted used unit.

One last note, I am camped in a campground in Prince George, BC that has the rule. There are also numerous units as old as mine so the rule is selectively enforced at best.
My wife and I would travel full time, but we have to sleep occasionally.
2001 Tiffin Alegro Bus 40 ft DP named the Wild Eagle
Followed by the Eaglet - A 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #48
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The difference is age rules on RV's are not illegal like the are concerning people.
So, you are free to complain about it and move on down the road. Our 13 yr old Dutch Star was never questioned and I don't expect problems with the Magna either. Just keep them looking nice and there shouldn't be any problems.
RV parks are not renting/leasing housing. Only a permit to park on their property.
They can refuse to rent a parking spot to anyone for any reason.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R See Facebook page for Meridian and Journey.
8.9 Cummins,2016 Ford Explorer or 2004 Jeep Rubicon or 2016 corvette on trl, Vietnam Vet
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #49
I grew up using Thousand Trails campgrounds....love them....they never had a problem with my mom's old faded Dodge motorhome....she left me her membership when she passed away and now I enjoy a lifetime of free camping with my 1994 small motorhome....I also have RPI and Coast to Coast memberships

ShaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote