Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

RV Buying Issue

Doing the Prep work to begin full-timing in 2017, surfed the net, these boards, spoke to folks and have come down to a short list of NEW Class A DPs.

Now looking at the 40 foot Plus Options on the USED market. I know that what I like today will not be available when I buy, but the quality and options should be.

I respect the concept that I have read, buy your last coach first. DW insists that she be comfortable and have room for her shoes

Here is one item I can't get over that is making me slant towards NEW. THE TEN YEAR RULE. The town I live in has 5 'RV parks'. Since I intend to come back to this area for about a month a year, I visited every one of them and they ALL say they have this 10-year limit. They all have paperwork you sign that you can be forced out at any time, that letting you in does not waive the rule, and that any residual rent paid is forfeit. They say there is a trend for private parks to adopt the rule 'to keep out the riff-raff", but that it is an excuse that is randomly followed to suit the Owners' or managers' needs.

My question is ... Do you think this is going to become the norm?

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

You can't blame them for wanting to keep out the people who will run off their customers. The gas prices and economy now is giving parks a choice of who their customers are. I think if you send them a pic of your well maintained coach they will accept it. In the late 90's lots of parks I visited Didnt like toy haulers. The 2008 crisis stopped that.
If I was going full time starting next year and are handy I would buy used also. I try not to look in the wife's closet to see how many shoes were hauling around.
Happy trails

Old 07-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

I was just at Sunny Brook RV Resort in South Haven, MI a few weeks back... We saw many "over 10 year old" rigs... but they were well maintained...

I'm guessing if you are the type of individual who takes care of your stuff and keeps it clean, neat and well maintained, you'll never have an issue...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

I've seen plenty of 10 year old & older RV's in excellent condition. As stated send a picture of your rig to see if they have a problem. I have also seen more "Riff Raff" in newer RV's than older ones. Money unfortunately does not buy class.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the super quick replies.

I don't blame the concept, what I think about is that I, or anyone, can be arbitrarily ejected. Make me uneasy, especially knowing that there is at least one person in the world that will consider me riff-raff. All of these Parks had 15 year old class A and 5vers.

And I agree there is no relationship between money and class. Sometimes the riff-raff (gosh I hate that a 19 yo young lady used that phrase with me) is the Park management itself. Sometimes it might even be me.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

My rig is 14yrs old and I'm yet to have an issue with that. I have stayed in a campground or two that would convince you of the wisdom of that rule. I've been asked about my coach a few times, but it never went farther than that.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Check out a CG that does not have that rule and you'll understand why others do. There is some real crap out there.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here on the topic of RV age and CG limitations. Search and enjoy a couple hours of reading.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The 10 year rule has come about due to "squatters", those people who pay for 1 week and then refuse to leave. This results in the park owners having to take legal action to remove them, that sometimes take up to 6 months to accomplish. These squatters have resulted from the down turn in the economy where they've lost jobs, homes etc.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #10

What is the town that ALL five RV parks have that rule?

Our RVing friends have never run into that rule. Your town is definitely not the norm.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
The 10 year rule has come about due to "squatters", those people who pay for 1 week and then refuse to leave. This results in the park owners having to take legal action to remove them, that sometimes take up to 6 months to accomplish. These squatters have resulted from the down turn in the economy where they've lost jobs, homes etc.
And here I thought it was just to keep out the "Cousin Eddies", oh wait. . . . .

Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #12

Scatterbrain- I don't think I could top that! And I think it would be easier to keep it looking good.

When I was a teenager, I worked after school in a car wash. For a few years after that I could stand cleaning my own car. My 1961 green Corvair would have been Eddie's perfect toad.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
What is the town that ALL five RV parks have that rule?

Our RVing friends have never run into that rule. Your town is definitely not the norm.
Glad to get all the good feedback explaining the background of why, and mor importantly to me the hearing that it is not the normal case.

Twogypsies. Thanks for the feedback. We live near the AZ/Nevada state line Scenic AZ/Mesquite NV.

To share some more, I did find one with about 20 spaces right down the road that I didn't know was there ( that I need to investigate further.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #14

I just took a peek at the web sites of Sun Resort and Desert Skies in Mesquite, NV and I see no mention of a 10-year rule and Sun Resort's reservation form didn't even ask what kind of RV. In the pictures there appears to be a couple 5th wheels that might look older. Strange....

We've stayed at Valley of Fire State Park (it has electric) and Virgin River Recreation Area when in the area. Would these work for you if visiting?

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote