Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
RV Class A Insurance

We have been having some difficulty finding affordable insurance for our 2002 Class A.
We have the min needed by law buy would like complete coverage incase of fire or other.
We have no loan on it either but dont want to loose the $ invested incase of an issue.

National Intersate from Good Sam is one that we are considering.
We have now Statefarm but way up there with no extras for specific rv.

We also considered Progressive and Geico but again way up there.

Any other companies RV have used that have good history or experience with.

We want to have the best insurance before we forget to upgrade and years pass.

We have AAA roadside but swicthing to Coachnet after using AAA and found out they cant even change a tire on large Class A...?

2002 Feeltwood Bounder 34D W22 Workhorse chassis 8100 Vortec
Tonykeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Blue Sky Insurance for my RV and find it very reasonable. Contact the Tobin Agency rv insurance motorhomes travel trailer motorcycles home all they do is Recreational Insurance. I find them very easy to work with and they represent many different companies. They seem to be able to write for anyone in any state and they offer a free quote form on their website.

Bob and Cathy
2015 Itasca Sunova 33c towing a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
Are you a fulltime owner?? If so you should have. Fulltime liability coverage to protect yourself. Insurance isn't cheap on thses big toys
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
We are with Progressive and have minimal need for service except for one breakdown and their roadside service works well except the local tow company was a bit tardy. Premiums are reasonable considering I have a stated value policy which matches what I paid for it.

Also, not sure what you mean by way up there in regards to premium. We all have our own perspective.

I hope you are carrying a really large liability component in case there is an issue. A large rolling hunk of steel and fiberglass can cause a lot of lawyers to salivate.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
My RV was with progressive, went up 20-25% this past year which was less then my house went up.

I think it's worth the extra money sticking with a good company. Some ins companies are a pita to deal with if a claim does occur.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
I use Geico. I had car insurance with them and when I got my Winnebago Class A I called them and bought insurance with them. A couple of things stand out, they wanted the insurance coverage to be the same on my car and my RV, and they were rather insistent that I needed to be driving the RV sometime during the year. The RV coverage was cheaper than the car (my car is old; my RV is really old).

About 10 years ago I was incolved in an accident that totalled my vehicle that I had just bought. Geico paid out more than I paid for it and issued the check just a few days after getting the claim.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use Allied a division of Nationwide, I feel they are reasonable as we also have agreed value, so they will pay me what the value of my coach was when I purchased it. Also we had one accident, our fault,
hit a post with the back end of our coach and had no trouble with the claim.
Lee & Diane
2005 Itasca Horizon AD
Columbia, CA
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by zip code or county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.

Best of luck!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
I will second Geico. Best price I could find for the coverage I wanted plus road service is included. Ran into some hail this past summer out west, $6000 worth and they jumped right on the repairs when I got home. I like when people do the things they say when they say there going to do it, and that is the way it was.
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Try Epic Insurance in Sioux Falls, SD. They specialize in insuring RVs. I originally had BlueSky with them and then Gina at Epic switched me to Nat'l General and saved me over $500.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 AM   #11
I have been very satisfied with R. V. Gilbert Insurance for ten years. www.gilbertrvinsurance.com in Florida, I am in NY. They make it really easy and they know their RV Insurance business. You give them your info, what your objectives are, and they do the leg work. They will give you options and take good care of you. Well established, long time in business, very good reputation, a lot of customers.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #12
Rexhall Owners Group
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
I have Blue Sky Insurance for my RV and find it very reasonable. Contact the Tobin Agency rv insurance motorhomes travel trailer motorcycles home all they do is Recreational Insurance. I find them very easy to work with and they represent many different companies. They seem to be able to write for anyone in any state and they offer a free quote form on their website.
I also have Blue Sky, have not had a claim yet, fingers crossed, but very reasonable for me.
Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm pretty sure the insurer that Good Sam sells for is National General, not National Interstate. Two different companies. You can get a quote from National Interstate via ExplorerRV.com.

I used National Interstate for several years and had good service from them on two claims. I shop around every few years and last year got an even better deal from Nationwide's Allied subsidiary. I got an additional small discount going through FMCA rather than a general broker.

You can also try www.millerrvinsurance.com - they can usually find a good quote for you.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure of your age but we went AARP - The Hartford. Solid insurance, great service, very low premium for us. We are not full time but spend a great deal of time traveling.

US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, insurance