Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

RV Cover

I have a 36 ft Phaeton that I would like to keep parked on the side of my house rather than in storage. Since we are not allowed to install a structure (metal RV Cover) on our property does anyone have any ideas on a good way to provide coverage protection for my motor home? I live in Southern California so we get alot of sunshine. The only things I can think of are to get it professionally waxed at least twice a year or invest in one of those canvas covers which are difficult and time consuming to take off and on. Plus the older I get the harder it is going to be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The other option is to find covered parking.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirken3 View Post
I have a 36 ft Phaeton that I would like to keep parked on the side of my house rather than in storage. Since we are not allowed to install a structure (metal RV Cover) on our property does anyone have any ideas on a good way to provide coverage protection for my motor home? I live in Southern California so we get alot of sunshine. The only things I can think of are to get it professionally waxed at least twice a year or invest in one of those canvas covers which are difficult and time consuming to take off and on. Plus the older I get the harder it is going to be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
We got an Adco tan / white cover for our Vista 27N. Yes.... it is a major pain to cover / uncover it. I'm small (5'4" and 118 lbs) and I had a very hard time getting it up to the rooftop. That was the hardest part. We discovered that it had 2 holes ripped into it when we took it off. There are repair pieces that came with the cover. (first time using it) There are levers on the slideout awnings (maybe to manually release the awning lock?) that stick straight up with our slides retracted. Aside from the holes, I think the cover was ok. We had to go with a 30 foot cover (our MH is 28'3") so there was a couple feet of extra that we had to wrap around the back. We've only installed it that one time. Maybe with practice, the procedure will become easier.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

We use a cover too. Motorhome magazine rated them for their yearly awards last year . I added color coded tabs to front and back corners to help me set it up when I am on the roof. Works well!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I used a cover on our last RV for several years. We get a fair amount of wind and I did get a couple of small tears but not too bad. The biggest issue I had was a couple of spots along the top of the RV the paint was totally rubbed off.

You don't notice it too much from the ground but I am sure it would only get worse. I would like to purchase a new cover for our current RV but am concerned about the rubbing on the paint so currently I am just letting it sit in the sun until I can come up with a solution.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're willing to wrangle them off/on, covers do an excellent job of preserving/protecting your coach. They'll last about 3 years. You can see pics of what happened to ours after the 1st winter HERE. They're better than nothing, but require careful prep of your coach to remove any projections that can poke through. And don't try to put it on/take it off if there's any wind & your coach should be clean & dry before you cover it.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Are you allowed to erect a "temporary" shade structure made of canvas?