Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
A majority of the destruction to the Coach was done during the recovery process if I was to guess...............Glad to read they are OK!
That's what I am thinking, and hoping. I don't see how someone would survive the crash if all that damage was done during the actual crash itself. Glad they are ok, and pray they are healing well.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I first open the posting I was slowly scrolling down looking at the images. First image looks like rear cap is gone. Second image looks like they picked up some foliage and general the coach the coach looks damaged but intact then I scroll to the third image. OMG. Fourth and fifth image and I'm wondering how they survived.

I would guess they rolled the coach on to the passenger side into trees which pealed the roof off. What remained of the passenger sidewall probably came away during recover efforts. A bit surprised the residential fridge, washer and dryer are somewhat still in their installed location. A Zephyr is a pretty heavy coach running upwards 60,000 pounds of potential kineticenergy. Lay it on it's side at speed thru road side trees isn't going to be pretty.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #17

How many among us would "brake" in such event instead of pressing the accelerator which is the right solution?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #18

Always accelerate. Remember 70%of braking is in the front axle. You don't want to transfer more weight to the front. Floor it and slow down gradually.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a post around here "Watching these videos may save your life"

They are not kidding.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #20

http://youtu.be/lkwOE1yKY5c
Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #21

not to get off topic but if it helps someone else worthwhile, we were 2 hours from home 1 hour south of Syracuse NY in I81 northbound on a sweeping right hand curve at 65-70mph at about 45000lbs with 24 foot car hauler full of car and motorcycle when my right front G670 blew the sidewal out without warning and any indication from my TPMS, my point is, to my amazement my Coach easily and safely stayed under control and got us to the inside shoulder albeit in a less than ideal location acording to the NY State Trooper who stopped, safely and easily. as it turns out the tire ripped the air line off the brake pot so I had no front brakes to apply, but although other coaches may handle differently it was not as scary or hair raising as one might expect.

The Moral of my story is stay calm and keep her moving till off the road, it destroyed the accuride and of coarse the tire but we are safe and I wasnt worried about anything else other than getting off the road and stopped.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
How many among us would "brake" in such event instead of pressing the accelerator which is the right solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Always accelerate. Remember 70%of braking is in the front axle. You don't want to transfer more weight to the front. Floor it and slow down gradually.
Easy to say, much harder to do. Most people, and unfortunately that means a lot of you, will automatically go for the brakes. Your instinctive reaction to try and control a vehicle in an emergency is usually wrong, and at that moment, certainly not something you can "figure out". The ability to maintain a vehicle that is losing control is not innate, it is learned and practiced. I say this with 40 years of racing experience. Take a car control clinic; it will open your eyes and maybe save your life.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #23

Thanks for the video. Don't believe I had thought about how I actually would react. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! They were sure lucky! That's the reason I installed the SteerSafe steering stabilizers on our MH right after we bought it!
I have had training handeling a car with a blowout at highway speeds . How much different is a motorhome? Besides hearsay how much(how can it provide enough instantanious force to correct steering without hindering normal driving?) Does a steersafe stabalizer improve bow out driving controle? If verifiable proof exists I would be interested. Are there test results avaliable, or just speculation and anecdotal opinionated reports? This has concerned me and would love to be refered to relevant test/studies. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #25

My number one fear while driving my class A is a front tire blow out. Will the Safe_T_Plus Steering Controls listed below provide much protection against this type of accident? I already have a TPMS.

Safe-T-Plus Steering Control - Steering Stabilizers - Camping World
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #26

Horrible crash! I think they are very lucky to have survived.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Scary stuff! I'm glad to hear they will be OK, but sorry to hear of the loss of a pet: sometimes that can be just as hard as a family member, because many pets are treated like family members.

The first picture looked bad enough. Then I started scrolling the page and the pictures just got worse and worse. Such devastating damage.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
not to get off topic but if it helps someone else worthwhile, we were 2 hours from home 1 hour south of Syracuse NY in I81 northbound on a sweeping right hand curve at 65-70mph at about 45000lbs with 24 foot car hauler full of car and motorcycle when my right front G670 blew the sidewal out without warning and any indication from my TPMS, my point is, to my amazement my Coach easily and safely stayed under control and got us to the inside shoulder albeit in a less than ideal location acording to the NY State Trooper who stopped, safely and easily. as it turns out the tire ripped the air line off the brake pot so I had no front brakes to apply, but although other coaches may handle differently it was not as scary or hair raising as one might expect.

The Moral of my story is stay calm and keep her moving till off the road, it destroyed the accuride and of coarse the tire but we are safe and I wasnt worried about anything else other than getting off the road and stopped.

Moxy
Same here. Older coach pulling larger boat and front tire blew ripping out propane line, wires and brake line. Never once did I feel like it was going to go out of control, just gradually slowed down and abandoned ship since propane was spewing. The new modern coaches have much better suspension and frames compared to that old dog so I don't live in fear.