Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #43
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Guys, it's not about adding speed, it's about weight shift. By getting on the power immediately, you help counteract the lurch towards the side with the blown tire. As soon as you get some steering input to get going straight again, you can start lifting off the throttle and coast down to a controlled stop. The time on the accelerator may be only a few seconds, certainly not enough to build any appreciable speed.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #44
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
What bothers me the most when I look at these pictures is the front cap, one entire sidewall and the entire roof totally gone!

What kind of body construction is that?

The same kind as every other MH on the road. Light weight frame and some fashion or another of sandwiched composite plywood and fiberglass. Much like small private planes (flying beer cans) motorhomes are like a rolling refrigerator box. Strength vs. weight vs. COST.

dhavi4226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #45
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Exactly!! All these newer coaches have ABS. If you have ever had to make a panic stop with ABS you will know that isn't so.

I have had it happen with my coach and was amazed how fast and even it stopped. Also with a super B loaded at 63000 kg and wow it does work.

As for that accident they are very lucky to have survived. It is a shame they lost there dog.
We can armchair predict what may have happened and what could have saved it but there are so many contributing factors to an accident like this that no two are ever the same.
In my years of Commercial driving I have had several front tire blowouts. Only one time I had a hard time controlling it and it was due to the fact that I was in a banked corner going down hill. That tire was a one week old Michelin. Not to diss Michelin I have ran many since.

One thing I will add is if you are on cruise and a tire blows the most natural reaction will be to hit the brakes to disengage the cruise or fumble with the switch and by that time you may have caught the edge of the pavement and who knows from that point.
It is always the unexpected that will get you. Tmps might be all right for some things but can give you a false sense of security when it comes to the unexpected. Me I will still thump my tires and visually inspect for damage or heat as well as wheel nuts, oil leaks etc.
certainly agree with most of your comments except the part of a false sense of security with respect to tpms, it is only a false sense of security if you depend on the tpms to due things it was never intended to do, in other words, its is not a time machine or a steering device, it is a tire pressure monitoring device that depending on the manufacture will warn of tire pressure changes, tire temperature changes, rapid pressure loss and possibly a few other options, it does not detect bulges in side wall about explode, cord separations about to penetrate the casing, zipper failures, pot hole damage, loose wheel nuts or leaky bearings or any other woes our tires suffer, so the false sense of security is is not the fault of the unit it self but rather the inproper information or expectations of the operator.

2001/2 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor 41 Tag Axle
370 ISL Allison MH3000, aqua hot, in motion sat
2008 United UXT 24' 10K car hauler
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #46
Rexhall Owners Group
This post is in response to the previous posts which have questioned about the Safe-T-Plus. Earlier this week I had one installed on my 35 ft. Class A for the following two reasons:
1) Safety..If, God forbid I ever have to handle the RV during a blow out situation, I don't want to be in the position later of second guessing and saying..gee I wish I had put additional safety devices on. The consequences are just too dire.
2) Plus. The installing dealer, ( you can put these on yourself if you are younger and stronger than me), was about 70 miles of highway driving away. Driving home I came to realize that I wasn't being pushed around by the 18 wheelers that passed me, and I wasn't constantly correcting the steering to stay in my lane during heavy traffic. I imagine the steering aspect of driving this rig to be less stressful in the future.
2003 Rexhall Rexair, 3550 Ford V10 with Banks
2014 Honda CRV-AWD via Blue Ox
Travel with SWMBO and Golden Doodle co pilot
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #47
It's amazing how fragile our MH'S are. We sit up high with tons of steel under us feeling secure when that little Toyota Corolla seating in front us at the traffic light has much better crash protection than we do.
2004 Winnebago 30b Motorhome
Accompanied by a 2015 Ford Focus or a 2007 Ural Patrol or 2006 BMW/Hannigan Sidecar Rig
daydream37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #48
Tiffin Owners Club
Agree, front airbags would be a safety check. Our cars are much more regulated for safety than a RV. Such little protection in front of that huge window!

There is a lot of room for manufacturers to step up beyond what is offered to the buyers right now. It seems it would be a real moneymaker, a chance to be in the forefront. A no-brainer?
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #49
As far as RV construction: It's scary for sure. But we can't blame the manufacturers really. They have to operate withing weight boundries. Then we mandate of them that they have to put these things in them if they want us to buy them. Can you imagine how robust a structure would be to withstand the weight of a 26k lb vehicle rolling over on it? You would have a stout motorhome with no capacity to put anything inside of it.

It is interesting to read how others respond to reports of an accident like this. Some point to the equipment they have and imply that it wouldn't happen to them because of their superior preparation. Others point to driving techniques and how they know how to handle a situation like a blowout.
I can tell you that many if not most blowouts happen with no indicators from a RMPS, and they don't happen in a place that works best for you. It may be in the middle of a sweeping high speed turn. That is unlikely to turn out well. It could happen when you are tired or just setting your soda down. These accidents are not always avoidable, and many of the things mentioned are simply "feel good" items.
The FACT is that there are many auto accidents yearly, and some of them are motorhomes. Of that portion, some are hurt or killed. If you don't like your odds in a motorhome, don't drive one. But i suggest that we don't let reasonable amounts of fear chase us away from doing the things we enjoy and those that can be rewarding and fulfilling to us. If you ponder these threads long enough, eventually you end up not wanting to motorhome anymore. People die eating food. They die on the way to church and while making love. Should we not do those things anymore?
If the gadgets ease your mind so you can sleep at night, then use em. If your driving methods give your confidence, then great.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #50
Fleetwood Owners Club
wow, this is scary!! blow out has always been my biggest fear. Has anyone install steering stabilizer on Fleetwood? I have a 2004 excursion which I like to install one
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #51
Back to the Older Coaches are "better" built, Steel sticks rather than Wooden sticks, see a lot of Tiffins rollin down the road and after seeing this one fall apart you couldn't give me one!
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Back to the Older Coaches are "better" built, Steel sticks rather than Wooden sticks, see a lot of Tiffins rollin down the road and after seeing this one fall apart you couldn't give me one!
Tiffin is one of the better coaches out there.

I don't have one, but I've seen plenty of them and they are a great coach.

I don't think any coach on the market would survive this type of crash and come out any better looking.

But that's my meager opinion only.
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #53
Bluebird FC the only one I know of to be roll over certified.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Yes, that's right. As you brake, weight transfers to the front tires, increasing their grip and reducing the grip at the rear. That will make your front brakes way more effective. Take a look at your car and you will see that the front brakes are MUCH larger than the rears.

Precisely! As the vehicle brakes, weight transfers from the back to the front: that's why a vehicle nosedives under heavy braking: more weight than normal on the front, less on the back. The brake's stopping ability depends on the friction between the tire and the toad, and the more weight pushing the friction surfaces (tire and road) together, the more stopping power. The rear wheels usually lock up first, not because they are doing more braking, but because they have less weight on them and the tires are less able to transfer that braking effort to the road.

It used to be that drum brakes were universal. When the more effective disc brakes started to be popular, there was a time that those more expensive brakes were only on the front, and drums remained on the rear. Why? Because most of the braking happens on the front wheels, and that's where they do the most good.
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Wow, that red half of a vehicle on the left got seriously messed up! The way the latch side of the door is chewed up, it looks like they needed jaws of life for an extrication. What was that, a pickup with the bed torn off?
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
not to get off topic but if it helps someone else worthwhile, we were 2 hours from home 1 hour south of Syracuse NY in I81 northbound on a sweeping right hand curve at 65-70mph at about 45000lbs with 24 foot car hauler full of car and motorcycle when my right front G670 blew the sidewal out without warning and any indication from my TPMS, my point is, to my amazement my Coach easily and safely stayed under control and got us to the inside shoulder albeit in a less than ideal location acording to the NY State Trooper who stopped, safely and easily. as it turns out the tire ripped the air line off the brake pot so I had no front brakes to apply, but although other coaches may handle differently it was not as scary or hair raising as one might expect.

The Moral of my story is stay calm and keep her moving till off the road, it destroyed the accuride and of coarse the tire but we are safe and I wasnt worried about anything else other than getting off the road and stopped.

Thank you!...I like to hear those kind of stories!

2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote