Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #85

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Guys, it's not about adding speed, it's about weight shift. By getting on the power immediately, you help counteract the lurch towards the side with the blown tire. As soon as you get some steering input to get going straight again, you can start lifting off the throttle and coast down to a controlled stop. The time on the accelerator may be only a few seconds, certainly not enough to build any appreciable speed.

Exactly, force vectors! High school physics!!! There is so much more drag (pulling towards blow out) on the coach you are not going to accelerate. You are just going to add throttle to overcome the drag.

B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #86

RV Crash

As a former volunteer firefighter we were tasked with taking large Spatan chassied Fire rigs to a defensive driving school put on by the CHP. We spent a day putting these rigs through driving hell. Emergency stops, four wheel lock ups (anti lock disabled), front wheel lock ups with rear antilock enabled, evasive maneuvers such as sudden lane or directional changes and finally the skid pad. Never learned so much or had so much fun. A real E ride. Learning transferred directly to large size type A MH. Haven't lived until you have spun one out. A lot of centripetal force there. Took two additional courses in private auto and sent both son and daughter through course.
And now one grandson.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet2 View Post
Just an update to the occupants - DW is in rehab. DH just got his first solid meal yesterday and should be in rehab this week.

Both have had some wonderful family, friends, and strangers assist them
Thanks for the update. They are blessed to escape with their lives.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet2 View Post
Just an update to the occupants - DW is in rehab. DH just got his first solid meal yesterday and should be in rehab this week.

Both have had some wonderful family, friends, and strangers assist them.
Finally we come back to a factual post about this topic. Glad to hear they are on the mend.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #89

I think that there has been lots of good info posted here and hope that it helps someone to avoid a tragedy. I know I have learned a few things and refreshed my knowledge on others.
Also very happy to here that the couple involved is on the mend. I wonder if a new rig is in the plan?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Prayers to the couple. A real lesson for us. Installing the steering stabilizer tomorrow.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #91

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am happy they are doing fine and are in rehab. I have to say, I learned a lot from everyone's comments and what they shared. I just had my RV front end aligned and scheduled an appointment to install safe-t-plus.
However when checking the alignment, they discovered that the back end is about an inch out of line. I was told to correct it, they would have to cut a weld, align it then re-weld back. Apparently it was out of line from day one when it left Fleetwood factory (Fleetwood Excursion 2004). My first thought, if it has been this far out of line for this long, we should notice some unusual wear in back tires. Which it didn't appear to. So for now, I decided to let it be and keep an eye on tires.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
I am happy they are doing fine and are in rehab. I have to say, I learned a lot from everyone's comments and what they shared. I just had my RV front end aligned and scheduled an appointment to install safe-t-plus.
However when checking the alignment, they discovered that the back end is about an inch out of line. I was told to correct it, they would have to cut a weld, align it then re-weld back. Apparently it was out of line from day one when it left Fleetwood factory (Fleetwood Excursion 2004). My first thought, if it has been this far out of line for this long, we should notice some unusual wear in back tires. Which it didn't appear to. So for now, I decided to let it be and keep an eye on tires.

When I was at a truck tire store in Grand Rapids Mi I walked out to check on the progress and was surprised to see about ten guys looking at my MH. I of coarse walked over and asked what they were looking at. The guy leading the group laughed and asked me how many miles I had in the tires. I said about 10000 and he said that's about what he thought. He asked a couple of questions about how it drove and handled and then told me the same thing. The back is not lined up with the front. He said it was very common and would not cause me any issues with the relative low miles I drive it every year. He said some are real bad and need correction. I have seen trucks like that where the rear tracks different than the front. I did get a second opinion and it was confirmed that yes it's out a little and it won't hurt anything.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #93

On my 1999 Newmar DSDP I experienced 4 front tire blowouts over a 9 month period at Highway speeds. It will definitely tighten up your pucker factor! It's a testament to the Granning front end on the Spartan chassis that I was able to maintain control. Michelin wanted to blame it on overloading or under inflation of the XRV/70/22.5 tires. I disproved this by having their field technician weigh each wheel & check the tire pressures @ a truck stop near Louisville KY- he said we were good to go. 62 miles later I blew the right front tire again- taking out the right front quarter panel & diesel tank fill hose & spout! I keep my tires inflated to + or -0.2 psi using a Halteck digital tire gauge. I also have each of my coaches weighted fully loaded. add 10% safety factor to each wheel weight & inflate per Mfg. specs for tire, size, location & load. After starting legal action in 2001, after 8 months of pleading with Michelin to recall these tires & pay me for my damages & a new set of tires (XZA 1 295/70/22.5 LR H) they settled with me & immediately recalled these tires through Spartan & Newmar. Steering axle blowouts are one of the most dangerous occurance you can encounter in a coach at highway speeds.

Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote