Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

rv Cummins engine quit after 1200 mile road trip

On the last leg of our 1200 mile journey our 92 country coach Magna w 300hp cummins w180kmiles completely lost power. I had about 30 seconds of power steering before that too gave out. No warning lights, no sputter or other indication something was wrong. I was able to pull over to the side and immediately turned the key and she started back up. It did this two more times before we finally got home. I'll start by changing the fuel and air filters but it feels like something else could be the problem.
any feedback would be appreciated

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #2

On our 94, the relay that powers the fuel cut-off solenoid was not putting full voltage thru it. This meant that I had some power to the solenoid, but not always enough to keep the fuel flowing. My relay was the same as a starter relay for a Ford pickup. round, two post about $12 to $20 at auto parts store. Since there was no sputter or warning, unless you are already due for filter changes, I think you may be throwing cash away. I only think that because that is what I did first, and I was throwing cash away myself.

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a boat once with a diesel engine and I started to have a similar problem. Turned out I had quite a bit of contaminates in the fuel tank. It would slowly cover the pickup filter and stay there with the pump action. Once the engine powered down, the vacuum on these particles dropped and they fell way from the pickup and allowed the fuel to flow again. Had a tech come in and suck out and filter the fuel I had on board. No more problems.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

Its definitely a fuel delivery problem. A good diesel mechanic can trace it out. You have mostly mechanical fuel delivery which is easy to trace. Could be a Lift Pump not priming the Injection Pump which would be the worst thing if you run it much doing that. On most older mechanical injection units if you starve the IP for input pressure, usually ~5psi, then you lunch the IP because it needs to be full of diesel as its internal lubricant. If its not the LP, the rest of the stuff, like Harvey's issue are small potatoes & cheap to fix. A bad LP itself may be $400. Bad IP maybe $2k.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #5

For that year it's an 8.3C engine (all mechanical). There is a fuel actuator mounted just under the injection pump. It's a very simple spring loaded device which, when power is applied, pulls the fuel lever open to allow fuel into the injection pump. There are 2 12v connections to the solenoid that actuate the fuel lever on the injection pump - the first is wired from the starter circuit to actuate the lever open fully and the 2nd is wired from the ignition which actually holds the coil and fuel lever open.

More often than not the "hold-open" side of the coil goes bad and will occasionally not have enough power to hold the fuel lever open against the spring which is constantly trying to shut the fuel lever off. Symptoms will be just as you experienced - completely random engine shutdowns with no warning - as if someone turned the key off.

For what it's worth and depending upon how mechanically inclined you are, these are extremely easy to troubleshoot and replace if necessary. HarveyP mentions above that he had a similar situation and it was the solenoid that actuates the fuel shutoff solenoid - in my 94 I do not have a seperate power solenoid actuating my fuel shutoff solenoid, you may not either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelSolenoid.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	45183  
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thom says check for a cracked fuel injector line. Seems to be a common problem with that type engine.
We had a similar problem and that's one of the other things that was wrong.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMagna1992 View Post
On the last leg of our 1200 mile journey our 92 country coach Magna w 300hp cummins w180kmiles completely lost power. I had about 30 seconds of power steering before that too gave out. No warning lights, no sputter or other indication something was wrong.

thanks
We had this problem on our C8.3L 300 hp Cummins several years ago.
The engine just shut down after running well for several hours.

There were also occasions of hard to start on the first start of the day.

After a few months of not identifying the problem, the end result was replacing the Injection pump. It failed on the downhill grade from Donner Pass into Truckee. (But I got great MPG on that downhill ride!)

The injection pump probably failed because the mechanical lift pump finally failed. It was also replaced at the same time as the injection pump.

Testing/replacing the fuel shut down solenoid is cheap and easy.

Then you might want to replace the mechanical lift pump. Not so cheap, but you could do it yourself.

My injection pump, replaced under extended warranty, cost nearly $4,000 while away from home.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Thanks to all that replied.
I found the fuel solenoid and noticed an oil leak from or around the solenoid?
Is this a symptom or another issue i wonder?
Actually noticed a couple new leaks so it looks like I'll be busy.
I'm trying to avoid the sharks at the service centers and do the work myself
the engine doesnt look terribly complicated just BIG.. not like the VW's I used to tear apart.
These forums are great help.. much appreciated
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Your solenoid is probably in the same general area as the following items like mine is:

The mechanical fuel pump with primer bulb.
The primary fuel filter.
The fuel lines
The injection pump.

In that area, oil leaks could be fuel. If you can stop those leaks, you might solve your problem.

While lurking in there, take a good look at the mechanical fuel pump. If leaking, a new gasket set might be the solution. I have to hang upside down from the bedroom to see it. It is just below my fuel filter.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

fuel leaks

I finally got a chance to snoop around the fuel components and noticed the injector and (piece with the bulb) are soaked in fuel. I cant pinpoint and exact location it just looks like its seeping from the gaskets
and its been doing this for a long time.
Anyone know where I can get a cummins fuel system diagram?
It would be nice to know the proper name of these parts.
Does the mechanism with the bulb have fuel in it? it doesnt appear to...
and the large part underneath im assuming is the injector pump?
I dont see the mechanical fuel pump

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7771.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	46357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7766.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	46358  

Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #11

The picture on the right shows the fuel shutdown solenoid. It looks similar to the one on my C8.3L. The power wire on the back side can be loose and create a no start or shutdown situation. I have had to tighten that contact several times in inconvenient places.

You should be able to see the lower arm pull up when the ignition is turned on and drop down when the ignition is turned off. If it does not pull up, the engine will not start due to no fuel. If it does not drop down, the engine will run forever, or at least until it runs out of fuel.

You could be getting spray from the incoming fuel line if it has a small hole in it. That could coat everything and allow for air pockets that might shut the engine down. My fuel line broke and shut the engine down due to a loose fuel line clamp allowing the fuel line to vibrate. You should visually be able to see fuel spray happening.

Find your fuel filter to the rear of the injection pump. Directly below it on the engine block should be your mechanical fuel pump. It will have a bulb on it that you can pump with your thumb to prime the fuel system and remove air. I cannot see the pump from above my engine, but can see the fuel filter.

A loose filter could also spray some fuel around, but I assume you have already checked and replaced that filter.

Adjacent to the filter is a bleed screw that you can loosen to observe the effect of pressing on the fuel pump bulb to prime the engine. Loosened, air will first escape if present and when you see fuel while pumping you close the bleeder screw. If that screw is not tight, you could be leaking fuel oil.

My guess and hope is that you are leaking fuel but perhaps not from the injection pump.

My Cummins engine book has pictorials of all the repair steps. I will retrieve it tomorrow and scan the appropriate section for posting.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

I started the engine (it seems to start no problem)
but after several minutes I could not see an obvious leak, tried to increase the rpm a bit but still not seeing a noticeable leak. I'l going to go clean the area as best that I can in hopes of finding the leak... thanks again for the tips
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #13

fuelsystem.jpg Photo by deandec | Photobucket

This link is to the display of the fuel system in my C8.3L Cummins manual. Maybe it will be of help.

You might hold a white sheet of paper in the above area to see if any fine spray is occurring while the engine runs.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #14

Thanks Dean!
Your coach looks super clean!!! nice job
I checked filters, pumps, lines for leaks
my best guess is thats its coming from this union in the fuel line.right in front of the fuel shut down solenoid, Pic bellow

I should add both times the engine lost power we were on the freeway full power after climbing a hill. We made it home after taking side streets the 60+ miles back home
Ive started her up and idled several times since with no problems
and no leaking... My guess is that it leaks under high pressure at higher rpm..
the filters look a bit old so I think my first step will be changing filters, but I dont think thats my major problem. Not an ideal vehicle to be road testing......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	46672  

Tags
cummins