Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Rv Custom BCC

While hooking up an inverter to my battery bank, I shorted out the positive cable to the negative on the battery. My battery disconnects and isolation relays have not operated correctly since. I have a 2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic. I believe I have welded the disconnect latching solenoid contacts together and have fried something on the circuit board that controls the bi-directional relay. My question is, can these things be repaired?

thanks in advance for any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Of course anything in the battery control center can be repaired. I belive you probably blew some fuses. Check all the fuses.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

I probably should have phrased my question as "has anyone repaired the battery latching solenoids or the circuit board in a RV Custom BCC?" I have the basic knowledge that tells me to check fuses first, but perhaps not much more.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Not knowing what BBC Board you have, I know these solenoid can be purchased on Amazon. If you can get the number off the solenoid, just type that number for a search on Amazon or the Web. Yes the solenoid can be changed, I don't think they can be repaired. The solenoid are different. Some are a constant on, and others are switched on and off. But, I have found them at Amazon. Mine is a Intellect, or something like that. Has been awhile since I did any work on that system. A lot of these BBC boards are not available now, but the solenoids still are. Good Luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can pull the latching relay out and bench test it. First call RV Custom Products and ask for the documentation and troubleshooting guide for your BCC. They will email it to you.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with the problem. Just wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

First I would like to thank those who responded. I have the trouble shooting instructions for the BCC, but they are pretty basic.

I like the idea of bench testing the relays. This will also give me a chance to look at the backside of the circuit board. I will post results and most likely more questions after I have things taken apart.

New to this forum, should I use same thread or start a new one with the follow up?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

"have not operated correctly since" is a pretty vague description of a problem, so hard to guess what might be wrong. If they don't ever engage (or disengage) at all, maybe you did damage the solenoid itslef of the baord. But they are pretty rugged and it usually takes something more severe than that.

Does the board still allow charging? Do either either battery disconnect or energency (aux) start work? Have you reset the two circuit breakers on the board (most versions have them). In any case, they are both repairable and replaceable.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact RV Custom Product. Excellent customer service, knowledgeable, and they have made the boards better with better parts. They upgraded the latching solenoid to better quality. I replaced my board in 2007 and the board has functioned flawlessly for the last 10 years! I do a lot of "Boon-docking" so my solenoid/board gets a work out.

Do not buy the solenoid off Evilbay or a generic one. You'll just have a problem with the Chinese junk. RV Custom Products may sell you just the solenoid. I say get the full deal as there may be future problems with other parts.
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Thanks for the response Gary. Both of the relays are stuck in the engaged position (Power on). Traced power to a fuse labeled F19 (7.5 amp) that was blown. Had my wife operated disconnect switches from inside coach while I checked for power on the circuit board per RV Custom's trouble shooting info. When top of chassis battery switch was pushed, I got power signal on wire that energizes the engage side of relay. When bottom of same switch was pushed I got momentary power and I heard the relay clunk. Ran same test on coach disconnect switch and did not get power on either wire listed by the instructions. Checked fuse after the fact and found it blown. Tried to start engine to verify chassis battery disconnected, but the engine started. (Ignition relay over ride?) /

Second problem: Isolation relay always getting signal. I removed the circuit board completely and found two melted diodes that are located between the chassis battery input on the board and a large area of resistors, diodes and capacitors (which I assume are the BIRD function area). This maybe why the isolator is always energized. The board is correctly reading battery volatage.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #11

that is supposed to read, "incorrectly reading voltage"
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #12

Just pulled out both latching relays. The relay for the chassis was in the open (disengaged) position and I can move the plunger back and forth between engaged and disengaged by hand. The coach battery relay was in the closed (engaged) position and I can not move the plunger by hand. I am afraid to put power to the coach battery relay to test it for fear of making the problem worse, that is assuming it is rebuildable.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:13 AM   #13

Replace both relays.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #14

Bench tested chassis relay and it is working fine. I disassemblied the coach relay and discovered that the internal lead wires that are attached to the coil were melted/fused together. After some serious searching I found RV Custom's wholesale supplier for the solenoid (Guardian Electric). The only retail outlet I could find near me was Graingers and they want $45.00 for it and have an eleven week back order time. Long story short, I ordered the entire relay from PDX RV for $49.00.

Now on to the circuit board. It is the CB-115 rev P. I cannot find just the board anywhere online. I have tried to reach Fleetwood Parts, but their lines have been busy everytime I tried. Looks like the board is repairable, but it is beyond my pay grade. Has anyone ever purchased one of these boards?

Tags
bcc