Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Diet

Getting ready for first trip after loosing 500 pounds! Replaced 3,000 pound Jeep with 2,500 pound Fiesta. Hope to see at least a small bump in mpg.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hee hee! Had me for a few seconds there.

Not that i would follow any diet.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

I'm with you Wayne!

In High School, I was thin, muscled, and fit.

In the Navy for 20 years I was within Military fitness specs.

As a Trucker, I worked my butt off so was is a pudgy, but still very fit.

Now in my final retirement, I'm Old, Fat, AND ugly, and I'm going to stay that way. Life is too short to not have well marbled T-Bone steaks with buttered spuds, and followed with a good helping of Ice Cream in front of the TV.

IMHO

Ed
Navy Chief Ret.
And whose family normally lives into the 90's
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Getting ready for first trip after loosing 500 pounds! Replaced 3,000 pound Jeep with 2,500 pound Fiesta. Hope to see at least a small bump in mpg.

I hope you see that bump, but if I was a betting man I would bet that it doesn't make even 1 MPG difference. Hope I'm wrong!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I'm with you Wayne!

In High School, I was thin, muscled, and fit.

In the Navy for 20 years I was within Military fitness specs.

As a Trucker, I worked my butt off so was is a pudgy, but still very fit.

Now in my final retirement, I'm Old, Fat, AND ugly, and I'm going to stay that way. Life is too short to not have well marbled T-Bone steaks with buttered spuds, and followed with a good helping of Ice Cream in front of the TV.

IMHO

Ed
Navy Chief Ret.
And whose family normally lives into the 90's
Ed, when I graduated from HS in 1957 I weighed 120 lbs soaking wet! I stayed that way for a long time, but my luck ran out! Now I weigh 215 lbs and my New Year's resolution is to get back down to 175 this year. All that weight has taken a toll on my knees and ankles and I'm concerned about other problems that could develop. Eat an extra bowl of ice cream for me and wish me luck!

Thank you for your service to our country!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
From Jeep to Fiesta you should not detect an MPG difference. Your toad weight is down by 17%, over-all weight down by about .2%, but the smaller tires have higher rolling resistance.

Close to a wash. Sorry about that.

After 1 year of F/T, I found about 250 lbs of stuff that had not been used or needed, only had a nice long ride. Donated all of it. Saw no difference except the handling improved a shade.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #7

Agree with Dave...you're not going to see any difference. Not over the long haul anyway.
I haven't seen an RV yet that got better mileage due to dropping 500lbs in load. As Dave pointed out, it's such a small amount compared to the overall weight of the rig that it just doesn't matter.

And...even if it did, it'd be maybe a tenth or two, and would that really matter? Going from 7.2mpg to 7.3mpg is about the cost of a burger over 10,000 miles

RVs suck gas, period. I always get a kick when a non-RVer asks me what I get for mileage while I'm filling up at the pumps. I usually say "Oh...somewhere between 22 and 24mpg"...then chuckle when their jaw drops.

Some of the newer DPs are getting 10 or so, and that would be a nice improvement over my 7-7.5mpg, but not willing to trade (spend another $30k?) to get that.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Methinks little or no difference in fuel consumption will be realized.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with the previous replies. When I don't tow my 3500# toad I gain about 7/10 of a gal. per mile. So If I were able to trim 500# I would think I might save 1/10 of a gal per mile. Let us know what your results are.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #10

500 lbs.. Hah! you could probably empty it and it would still get the same mileage. Its more a factor of pushing 25,000 lb wall through the air at 65 MPH
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My sister in law always brags on her mileage on a Mini Cooper. When i consider her weight versus my weight, plus i am towing a Jeep. I get better mileage. Burns her up, but makes me feel better. Just saying, if you want better mileage don't drive an rv.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may or may not. I replaced a 4,000 pound Chevy Lumina APV with a 2500 pound Dodge Neon and the MPG,,, went down.

As it happens I do know why,, (Two reasons) but be aware weight is not the ONLY consideration.

So you ask "WHY?" (Since I said I know)

One reason is the shape of the vehicle, the Lumina APV (With rear spoiler) was shapped just perfectly to spoil the air flow behind the motor home so it actually was a free tow most of the time, On a big boxy ride like a Motor home there is a pocket of vacuum trying to pull you back as you drive down the road.. "Spoiling" the air flow breaks up this pocket, The Lumina spoiled to the same extend it added to the weight of the consist so it was a free tow. The smaller NEON does not do as good a job of spoiling air flow.

The second reason is that on the LUMINA, with decent ground clearance I opted for an AXEL LOCK, so when I towed, I twisted the collar behing the tire (wheel) and the right front wheel became freewheeling, Just like the rear (Front wheel drive on both vehicles) the left front spun the differential side gears but the Tranny . Stayed in park believe it or not.

On the Neon, I use the LP-1 Lube Pump, not only does this mean the Differential MAIN gears are spinning (Much harder to spin) but the transmission output shaft as well and many of the gears within, You tow in Neutral. This adds a lot of drag.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #13

Remember once you leave a stop light or stop sign that tooad is just along for the ride hardly any load there then .
Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, if you want to see a BUMP in your MPG.. Wash and Wax.. I'm serious about this, Wash and Wax.