Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

RV EZ pass

Anyone have a RV and a easy pass. What do I need. I live in PA.
DutchSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #2

Just call them up. They will needed your info and license plate and will issue a RV pass. I already had an account.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
One interesting thing is that it doesn't matter what state you live in - you can order EZ Pass transponder and open an account online using any state in the system. I got mine from NY state and I live in WA.

There is a thread somewhere on here that says the cheapest state to buy from - so look around the web a little. PA may be the cheapest state to buy from, I can't remember. My transponder came in the mail in about a week after online sign-up.

NY had great customer service by phone, so I used them.

You can place the transponder at the bottom of the windshield, over by the driver, and it will read everytime.

I hope this helps. The transponder sure made life easy on the East Coast.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:44 AM   #4

Pa ez pass wants you to get a commercial transponder for your rv. I didn't want to do that so I went to the local supermarket that sells ez pass and bought a regular car one. I opened the online account and listed my pickup truck and one trailer. Then I listed the rv 3rd. You can take the transponder with you as long as you have the plate registered online. That is the easy way out in pa anyway. Go to website and they will list local retailers that sell ez pass in the store you can buy directly.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #5

Believe it or not, but NC offers an EZ Pass account and transponders that is accepted whereever EZ Pass is used AND on NC toll roads AND in Florida which used to be SunPass only. AFAIK, the NC service is the only one that works in all those jurisdictions. Everything is online, and the phone support PEOPLE actually speak English and are quite helpful.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
One interesting thing is that it doesn't matter what state you live in - you can order EZ Pass transponder and open an account online using any state in the system. I got mine from NY state and I live in WA.

There is a thread somewhere on here that says the cheapest state to buy from - so look around the web a little. PA may be the cheapest state to buy from, I can't remember. My transponder came in the mail in about a week after online sign-up.

NY had great customer service by phone, so I used them.

You can place the transponder at the bottom of the windshield, over by the driver, and it will read everytime.

I hope this helps. The transponder sure made life easy on the East Coast.
I too, living in Indiana, have a NY EZ Pass.

They offer a discount when you register your EZ Pass for an RV - I pay the car toll rate on the NYS Thruway. Not sure if other tolls in NY are discounted.

Being from NY I find myself on the Thruway and it is a substantial discount......

Thinking about it - I also get an EZ Pass discount on the Ohio River Bridge at Louisville, KY. But I don't think the state who issued the pass has anything to do with the discount.

The NY State EZ Pass has been free - need to leave a small balance in your account.

Good luck and Happy New Year....

g
Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #7

From Delaware here and we have had an EZ Pass in the RV for many years now. IMHO it’s a must have if available to you.
PappyWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #8

One thing that I ran into was with the Sunpass (EZ pass) on the MH and my toad, the sensors would read both the MH and the toad plus would charge me for 2 extra axles. I had to get a removable transponder for the toad and remove it from the windshield and put it in a Mylar bag in the toad glove box when towing.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
One thing that I ran into was with the Sunpass (EZ pass) on the MH and my toad, the sensors would read both the MH and the toad plus would charge me for 2 extra axles. I had to get a removable transponder for the toad and remove it from the windshield and put it in a Mylar bag in the toad glove box when towing.

I had the same problem with the stick on transponder. Called and asked for a credit.

When I called the second time the agent was much more helpful and instructed me how I could de-activate the stick on transponder when needed then reactivate it. Not as easy to do because you have to do this from a pc but doable. Just in case we have all the plates registered with the portable unit as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass which is good in 18 states. It is good for EZ-Pass, Sun Pass, and Peach Pass. Can be used in following states.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia

Purchase the transponder for $7.40 + tax. After purchase, there is a $1.00 monthly fee if you haven't used it for 12 months.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
If you do the NY EZPass, you will need two transponders. 1 will be for the RV alone and another for the RV with a toad behind.
I have gone to a trailer now and have 3, one for the truck alone, one for the truck and travel trailer, and a third for the truck and single axle cargo trailer.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #12

This subject of tolls, tags and passes is so confusing.

Well let's see, there's Easy Pass, EZ Pass, E-ZPass and EZ TAG. Just to mention a few. And when I see people online (not just here) talking about this subject, these terms are often interchanged so you never know really what tag, pass or toll authority they're talking about. And they all mean and cover different areas.

E-ZPass is the network of states that have joined together and if you have THAT pass it's good in all those recognized eastern states.
https://www.ezpassde.com/pages/where_use_ezpass.shtml

I went to NC toll authorities website, theirs is called a NC Quick Pass, and I don't see anywhere that their's is good up and down the east coast like many have claimed.
https://www.ncquickpass.com/rates-fa...s/default.aspx

We are in Texas right now and we're planning to go to Maine for the summer for 4 months. While in Florida this summer we talked to a fella about how he deals with the tolls because he travels from Maine to Florida and back every year. He said you don't need to worry about tolls or having a PASS. If you don't have a Toll Tag or a PASS or whatever, just drive through the tolls, the cameras will take a picture of your plate and bill you in the mail. I think he said only Connecticut doesn't do that and you'll just go through maybe one or two tolls and then just pay it when you go through.

Now if you're a east coast resident and you travel thru all these states all the time, then yeah, maybe then exploring what type of PASS acc't you should get may be helpful.

But when you're somebody like us who's just going through this eastern/upper east coast area on a one time vacation visit, going the camera route and not getting any PASS or TAG of any kind sounds like the way to solve this confusing PASS issue to me.

comments...am I wrong here?

FYI...here in Texas one of the tags they have is the EX TAG. It's good throughout the state of Texas and Kansas. They also have another tag called the TxTag.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I ordered our EZ Pass through Ohio when we were planning our northeast trip earlier this year. It was an easy process and used it through all of New England. There was only one toll road that did not accept the pass and was billed through the mail. After the trip, I returned the EZ Pass to Ohio and was reimbursed the unused part of the up front funds.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I ordered our EZ Pass through Ohio when we were planning our northeast trip earlier this year. It was an easy process and used it through all of New England. There was only one toll road that did not accept the pass and was billed through the mail. After the trip, I returned the EZ Pass to Ohio and was reimbursed the unused part of the up front funds.
Dan, not trashing you here partner but...
You see, this is a perfect example that adds to the confusion when researching this subject. This is not a EZ Pass in Ohio.
He ordered an E-ZPass, in Ohio that covers the states in the E-ZPass network.

At least that's what it looks like. See....confusing isn't it?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote