Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Believe it or not, but NC offers an EZ Pass account and transponders that is accepted whereever EZ Pass is used AND on NC toll roads AND in Florida which used to be SunPass only. AFAIK, the NC service is the only one that works in all those jurisdictions. Everything is online, and the phone support PEOPLE actually speak English and are quite helpful.
Thanks for the tip. I'm in Connecticut and use E-ZPass out of New Hampshire since we don't have toll roads here yet....

The NC transponder seems like the best option since as you said it covers Georgia and Florida as well as all the E-ZPass states.

Just click on the link and look at the Where can I use my NC quick pass transponder and it gives you the details.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/nc-quick...nsponders.aspx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchSchultz View Post
Anyone have a RV and a easy pass. What do I need. I live in PA.
Also live in PA and have been using my standard EZPass in our RVs since about 2008 without trouble. I don't have a transponder for all our vehicles, I just move them around as needed. I do see where they say anything over 15,000 pounds needs a commercial account, but haven't had any issues in over 10 years. Even when I've forgotten to update vehicles, it works.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
This subject of tolls, tags and passes is so confusing.

Well let's see, there's Easy Pass, EZ Pass, E-ZPass and EZ TAG. Just to mention a few. And when I see people online (not just here) talking about this subject, these terms are often interchanged so you never know really what tag, pass or toll authority they're talking about. And they all mean and cover different areas.

E-ZPass is the network of states that have joined together and if you have THAT pass it's good in all those recognized eastern states.
https://www.ezpassde.com/pages/where_use_ezpass.shtml

I went to NC toll authorities website, theirs is called a NC Quick Pass, and I don't see anywhere that their's is good up and down the east coast like many have claimed.
https://www.ncquickpass.com/rates-fa...s/default.aspx

We are in Texas right now and we're planning to go to Maine for the summer for 4 months. While in Florida this summer we talked to a fella about how he deals with the tolls because he travels from Maine to Florida and back every year. He said you don't need to worry about tolls or having a PASS. If you don't have a Toll Tag or a PASS or whatever, just drive through the tolls, the cameras will take a picture of your plate and bill you in the mail. I think he said only Connecticut doesn't do that and you'll just go through maybe one or two tolls and then just pay it when you go through.

Now if you're a east coast resident and you travel thru all these states all the time, then yeah, maybe then exploring what type of PASS acc't you should get may be helpful.

But when you're somebody like us who's just going through this eastern/upper east coast area on a one time vacation visit, going the camera route and not getting any PASS or TAG of any kind sounds like the way to solve this confusing PASS issue to me.

comments...am I wrong here?

FYI...here in Texas one of the tags they have is the EX TAG. It's good throughout the state of Texas and Kansas. They also have another tag called the TxTag.
I wouldn't recommend that plan. If you're going to be in Maine for four months just get an ezpass from Maine. You get discounts on the tolls in Maine and you won't have to deal with all the bills for the tolls that you will need to pay.

Most of these toll by mail schemes require payment within 30-45 days and if you're not getting regular mail service you'll end up getting violations and additional fees tacked on the bill. Seems like a lot of hassle that could be avoided by just getting the E-ZPass transponder ahead of time.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you go the "don't worry about toll pass, their licence plate camera based tolls will take care of it" route, be aware that there is several $ processing fee for every time you drive thru a toll without using a cash pay lane or transponder payment method, to cover the costs of a person looking up your license plate, and the costs of mailing you a bill. Also, there is a large late fee cost if you don't pay the bill by their deadline on the bill.

In a lot of states there many toll points with no cash pay lane at all so you can't avoid the large processing fees UNLESS you get a transponder.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #19

I got the NC Ezpass for out trip this summer. Transponder which I moved from coach to toad as needed. They also supplied a sticker for the toad if needed, but it wasnt. No issues, used feom Illinois east to Maine and dow the coast to Virginia, now in Texas on the way home in Las Vegas. Will deactivate soon and I dont thing theres anymore cost u less and until I reactivate it. If not deactivated I believe there is a cost. Folks on the phone always helpful and it made it much easier not worrying about the tolls as I was driving.
Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #20

Learned the hard way that in PA if you don't have a pass and you don't stop to pay, there's a $25 service fee when you get the bill by mail.
It was $43 for about 60 miles plus $25. You can then pay online or mail it.
The trick is some of the toll booths are off to the side so if you don't see it, you lose.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Learned the hard way that in PA if you don't have a pass and you don't stop to pay, there's a $25 service fee when you get the bill by mail.
It was $43 for about 60 miles plus $25. You can then pay online or mail it.
The trick is some of the toll booths are off to the side so if you don't see it, you lose.
Just the car. Not the RV
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topworth View Post
I got the NC Ezpass for out trip this summer. Transponder which I moved from coach to toad as needed. They also supplied a sticker for the toad if needed, but it wasnt. No issues, used feom Illinois east to Maine and dow the coast to Virginia, now in Texas on the way home in Las Vegas. Will deactivate soon and I dont thing theres anymore cost u less and until I reactivate it. If not deactivated I believe there is a cost. Folks on the phone always helpful and it made it much easier not worrying about the tolls as I was driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
If you're going to be in Maine for four months just get an ezpass from Maine. You get discounts on the tolls in Maine and you won't have to deal with all the bills for the tolls that you will need to pay.
Can somebody please supply the website address for where to apply and get this E-ZPass in NC. All I can find is NC Quick Pass when I do multiple searches on the web as I've posted before.

I like the idea of the transponder that can be moved from RV to toad once in Maine. Our coach is under 26K and from what I've been reading here in this post, this E-ZPass will have no weight issues if ordered in NC and the transponder will automatically adjust for 2 vehicles if we're towing.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #23

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9662.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	230346
Old 12-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	230347
Old 12-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #25

Not sure why it posts two of things but hope it helps.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
All this mess, and we are two years past the date it was mandated that all of these systems inter-operate.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And just to confuse matters more, Illinois offers iPass, which is also is interchangeable with EZPass. Does not work in Florida though.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchSchultz View Post
Anyone have a RV and a easy pass. What do I need. I live in PA.
Look into the NC Quick/Ez Pass. It covers all Ez Pass location, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. I have been looking into this option to cover most of the east coast.
rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote