Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with all others, Wow Great job, and all those wires how do you know what goes to what? I can hardly wait for the finished pics.
Great Thread, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Terry,
Dude, this is epic. I am subscribed. If you ever go to "Up North Michigan" get in touch with me, we'll have a spot for you to plug in a sit a while. I don't even know you and I like you.

thanks that really means some thing to me

Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
That's an incredible undertaking. What's your estimate in terms of time and money on this project?

truth i am setting some where under 10K

the RV its self was a trad to a you pull it junk yard

i gave them around 3000$ is parts / motors i had setting around so really the Rv did not cost me any thing

and all so giving they had a yard full of RVs most parts here and there where added in to the trad or where lower cost

it is all so why i started off with just a floor and walls as i seen so much like on here ..new RV just come with some many aaaa i just wanted to make my own

time on it well have to get back to you on that but i have had the RV now going on 3 years
Old 04-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Will it be able to pass the smog compliant test in California when finished? Just kidding! You are the MAN.

Sammie
i would have to add one part and it should

all vin s are right in the computers and staying in lines with all laws

the 8.1l was a LP motor from a 6500 and now is getting the updates to the 7500 with air brakes gas

i have made many calls to the DMV to make sure i am in line
Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #19

ok i should give some back ground on me and what i did for a living

i am known in FL as Santa man or was

most of my life i made parade floats with my dad ..TOM

alot of you guys are now going to know me or my dad and what we did

my story is very long and sad so heres the samller cut

tom past away just befor the every thing crash in 08
i became the full owner of HCF my dad company
in left over time after making floats at night i would find trucks cars small things to work on

3 years into being the owner my wife being sick finally found out why
she was told she has the SLE ver of lupus

so after that i know i had to slow down and find a new way in life that more fit what was going on

so i found the RV moved it in to the shop and at night started to work on it
that is where all the left mover parts came form to trad for the RV as i talk in a post

i slowly cut up every thing and sold off what i could to make ends meat

at this time i only had the RV 8 months and it was driving and we where living in it
i did not get alot of the things i wanted and is all so why i had to install the GM350 in it just to get it to move around

timing was bad but again i did not want to add every thing that happy and give the smaller cut

but i hope i dont get the Photoshop guys back again that is why i stoped the updates befor so no this is not fake

this is one of the trucks that talked of and gave me some thing to do befor every thing got bad

it is all so why i started to like the 8.1 so much

yes that is the same motor / truck
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
So with all of the combinations of parts, what coach brand are you going to name it? I think we should all help Terry name it. This will be one of a kind.

Sammie.
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very neat project and thanks for sharing. I see on the Tahoe/Suburban (can't really tell) you traded out the front for a Chevy pickup front end package. That too will be a one of a kind. Good luck and keep us updated.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #22

ok so i am sorry but back to the RV

i just wanted to add some of that as i know it was a big hold

so well go back to day one

one day why out for a company trip .. i love road trips .. i jump on this road 441 in TN i seen it on the map and really did not know it was part of a bigger state park

being a newbe getting out out of FL this really got me in to RVs and that type of thing

after working on alot of smaller things in my shop like cars it was time to move up and get some thing bigger .... to same that may ask this Rv is still small to most things i have made or did ... but it filled my shop up all most all the way

any ways i all ways made trips out to 2 you pull it junk yards in plant city FL for parts for the floats

in the back of one all ways had 30 to 40 RV most had fires 10% where from crash s on I4 or I275 and every month they would have a hand full of new ones

for 3 months i walked past this one RV ..MY rv now .. that the fire really did not hurt to much and could not stop saying , you know i can fix that,

as i said that to my wife i get a and i am like but being a guy like me my mind gets to and befor i know it i have every thing in my head on how to tow this thing home

i walked up to the guys up front and ask how much for the hole RV.. i get a have to call the big guy not really thinking they could and i am more jking around

few weeks go by and i need a part so i go back up there we called your phone number i left wrong number by one number

come to find out it still had good paper work and every thing
he said around 3000$

at the time i was trashing some things at my place cutting down the work load at that time and had 3 motors 5 TH400 just setting around in the shop for back ups

so i was like how about a trad

nice to say over the weekend i now had a RV

so a made a over size A frame and towed it home with my you guessed it 8.1l 3/4 ton SUV

giving the RV had every thing pulled out of it motor trans the GVWR was low and i only lived 20 miles from there if that

and really truth be told i was only getting it for the slides bay doors side walls and i really all ready had a setup i was going to install and make a hole new RV out of

as i start to gut the RV i found the fire really did not hurt any thing and found i could save money by just fixing what i had

so about a month in i stated fixing it up but all so about this time my wife was told her bad news as well and know by 4 months in we where going to become full timers

pics are of me towing it out of the junk yard that day and is why i say RV that wanted some love

Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #23

aa yes i hoped some one would see that yes its one of a kind
so ppl know it was the truth i left the driver side mirror

first time with auto paint as well so it did not come out 100%

1 of a kind as to have the 8.1l and that cap

i seen some edited to def caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Very neat project and thanks for sharing. I see on the Tahoe/Suburban (can't really tell) you traded out the front for a Chevy pickup front end package. That too will be a one of a kind. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Amazing. That is some project.
How much extra weight at the top does all that wood weigh over the old roof? Was the old roof wood also? Will be interesting to hear how it handles.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

one day i well upload the vidoes i have of towing this thing home and me making all the parts

i am just a shy guy and think i am a baby on video LOL

we are now still in month one .... seeing what i had to work with in parts and finding out i could fix what i had after the gutting and pulling off wall paper

you can all so see where i stated to move the roof line up

all so the younger looking women is my wife michelle

again sorry to add this but sorry for spelling errs

all so forgot to add only 4 foot of the roof was trashed in the fire and could have been saved buy all so pulled the head liner off the plywood like with the wallpaper on the walls but i was still walking in to the roof lighting i got so mad and said i moving the roof line up with out thinking if some one was around befor saying it and yet again i get the go for it hun from some side of the RV i cant see her from ... i go form to to here we go again feeling
3 hrs latter my mom is looking at the roof on the ground

why is all ways the bathroom that never gets it ??? it all looked like new inside

Old 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very impressive! Thanks so much for sharing.

I especially appreciate the tall ceiling and the choice of the 8100 Vortec. These are 2 things that we love in our RV.

Best luck and continued success.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #27

very nice work
Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #28

so now its time to start filling in the walls and make the out side walls in one piece 40 feet long .. yeah thats me looking so happy .. high from the fiberglass .

if funny looking roof is over the bed .. i wanted a nice looking roof line with a small window in the back .. more of this well come in to play latter

now we are down to the front cap ... if i moved the roof up then how did i make the roof and cap work // meat

as you have seen i found a cap off a 06 excursion .. why ..

all most every large RV of this type class A is all the same 8.2 wide
this is all so why a older looking RV can get new caps / paint and look so new

the excursion has a lower driver side window so in turn makes the windshield line lower i could take this and move the cap up all most 8 inc to mach all widows lines

this is all so why you see a line / hole from the top of the bumper to the lower cap well fix / get to that latter as well

so if i moved the roof up 16 inc that only left a hole up top of 8 as well and a smaller piece to make

this is the part i made to make up for that 8inc