Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #43

Holy Cow! What a job you have done!
You're a better man than me, Gunga Din!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #44

Wow I'm amazed I bought my coach with a battery box fire and did all the work myself but nothing like your project bow
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
I feel like a complete failure and only half a man.

Holy cow, what talent and fortitude you have!
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely amazng for sure. Your skills and your tenacity are beyond commendable.

Some curious questions:

1. Have you weighed it yet? It appears from your work that you have used sturdy materials and construction but I wonder how much the coach will weigh when you are done.

2. You said you had a business (was leasing space). What kind of work did you do? Where did you gain/learn your obvious mechanical/construction, etc. skills?

I used to hang out with a fellow who ran a body shop, built fire trucks and made nice kitchen cabinets when he had time. I thought he was versatile but I think you have him beat .

I hope you wife is OK. Wishing you both the best.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #47

I think it is fantastic what you have been able to accomplish for you and your bride. I am very impressed as is everyone else that Hamas seen your work. I am curious to see how well that 8.1 pulls that motorhome with the extra weight. I am subscribed to this thread as I can't wait to see the end result. I would also love to see you in a campground one day.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #48

Just plain WOW. You have tremendous vision, talent and craftsmanship. I felt good about crawling under my MH to replace the air filter in an hour.
I'd like to see Rock My RV / Bret Michaels hook up with you.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Incredible! even if I had the patience to do this, my toolbag of skills would be seriously lacking............ keep this thread going!
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
X-2 from all the above accolade's! Simply amazing, just what is your IQ? Off the chart I'm sure!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Absolutely amazng for sure. Your skills and your tenacity are beyond commendable.

Some curious questions:

1. Have you weighed it yet? It appears from your work that you have used sturdy materials and construction but I wonder how much the coach will weigh when you are done.

2. You said you had a business (was leasing space). What kind of work did you do? Where did you gain/learn your obvious mechanical/construction, etc. skills?

I used to hang out with a fellow who ran a body shop, built fire trucks and made nice kitchen cabinets when he had time. I thought he was versatile but I think you have him beat .

I hope you wife is OK. Wishing you both the best.
1. Have you weighed it yet?
no but at the min i still know i am under what the RVs weigh when it was new

every time i added 1LB i pulled 1LB

i pilled over 1000lbs of tile off the floor to only add 600 lbs in still in the roof

the motor all so ??? think it was 1800 LBs and the new 8.1 / trans is only
8.1 850 lb
trans 250 lb

i all so made a trade on the 250 lbs gen set for a battery set for the solar
i did add here and there and still have alot of inside work to do

the RV still all so sets high in the back on a air bags

what i did for a living is up on the post i make parade floats for a living
i am in my med 30s now so i had alot of time with my dad in making all kinds of thing

and to the floats are like RV thing have to hold 80 ppl and still at the end of the day go down the road and stop at red lights

as for the nice kitchen cabinets
i am not so good with it comes to that i dont have the tool or now know how for like the doors

so when it comes time i may have to find help for making the cabinets doors

but thanks again every one for taking the time to say hi and stop in
i know my wording could us some work and spelling as well
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I think it is fantastic what you have been able to accomplish for you and your bride. I am very impressed as is everyone else that Hamas seen your work. I am curious to see how well that 8.1 pulls that motorhome with the extra weight. I am subscribed to this thread as I can't wait to see the end result. I would also love to see you in a campground one day.
Steve
even when i had the gm 350 / th400 in the RV i could out run big trucks at red lights

but if got stop on a hill with out a running start i was stuck in 1st gear all the way up

all so revers when backing up was geared to high so i really had to get down on it if i was in grass or some thing

after you run the numbers with the 8.1l it all most has the some HP torq as the 300 that was in the RV

the RV well run well and move really good with the 8.1l i just dont know at this time what the MPG is going to be

i keep thinking shoud i have tryed for the 6 speed allison so testing well start with the 5 speed

number are showing to be

Horsepower Torque
Manufacturer – Engine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM – Vortec 8100 V8 gas
340hp @ 4200 rpm
455 lb/ft @ 3200 rpm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trans this is the numbers for the 6 speed

OK 275/70R 22.5 has a 38" diameter and a loaded radius of 17.6".

So 19" + 17.6"=36.6" loaded diameter so an extra 1/2" with these shorter 275/70R 22.5

engine rpm=2000, gear=4.77, tire height =36.6
1st=15mph
2nd=25mph
3rd=32mph
4th=45.5mph
5th=64mph this is where i would be testing with the 5 speed
6th=75mph not sure if the load would be to high if i would ever make it in to this gear

i dont have the numbers at the min for the motor that was in the RV but here is why the 8.1l

Horsepower Torque
Manufacturer – Engine
GM – Vortec 8100 V8 gas
340hp @ 4200 rpm
455 lb/ft @ 3200 rpm
Ford – 6.8L V10 gas
275 hp @ 4250 rpm
410 lb/ft @ 2650 epm
Dodge – 8.0L V10 gas
300 hp @ 4000 rpm
425 lb/ft @ 2800 rpm
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
This is simply amazing! I am so totally impressed with your work on this RV and how wonderful it has turned out so far. I think we need to call you McGuyver- the guy who can do anything! Good job!!!!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club

I think the answer to this question is looking down from above, with great pride in his skills and who helped in giving him his start.
The skills learned can not compare to MFG engineers who need time to even think up the answer to problems that may arise.
This thread should be shown to every lazy young person lock behind a screen in front of him, go out and do something of your life.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #55

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The transition you have achieved in this "labour of love" Motorhome is absolutely amazing! Your skills, abilities and creativity are incredible! You are truly inspiring! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your accomplishments with us. I have subscribed to this thread to continue to follow your progress and to experience the anticipated awesome outcome. Please keep the posts/pics coming! Kind regards to you and your wife...
Old 04-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Awesome progress!