Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 565
I can't wait to try to transfer my Pa. Non Commercial Class B to a NY who knows what. Should it be a Class B or a Class D with an R endorsement ?
__________________

__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I can't wait to try to transfer my Pa. Non Commercial Class B to a NY who knows what. Should it be a Class B or a Class D with an R endorsement ?

Now that's a great question and I'll bet that you will have a very hard time finding anyone at a NY DMV who can answer that question. Normally if you have a license of one class in another state it will transfer over to your new state. My guess is that you will only get that question answered at the NY State level in Albany.
__________________

__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Honeoye Falls NY
Posts: 126
What an interesting thread this R endorsement is. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
I live in the Rochester NY area and have gotten a great deal if misinformation about the need for an R endorsement. The information provided in this forum is accurate but the people who work at the local DMV sure don't know about it. The local office can't even schedule an R endorsement test as they do a regular license road test. They gave me the name of an examiner who I am supposed to call to schedule the R test. He hasn't returned my calls. I'll keep trying but when it's time to head south for the winter in October I'm gone. Then I'll try again next spring.
__________________
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,382
I have a couple of suggestions for you that may be doable. The easiest would be to check with the Batavia DMV. I believe that there was another poster who got his R endorsement at Batavia. If that doesn't work, then you could always take a drive over to Orchard Park and the DMV at Erie Community College South, which is across from the Bills' stadium (now New Era Field). They do know how to do the paperwork and the scheduling, although your road test will be in Orchard Park which is about an hour and a half from you.

If you need more info feel free to PM me.

Ed
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Now that's a great question and I'll bet that you will have a very hard time finding anyone at a NY DMV who can answer that question. Normally if you have a license of one class in another state it will transfer over to your new state. My guess is that you will only get that question answered at the NY State level in Albany.
Our move to NY was done and I was fortunate enough to go to a small DMV satellite office where the guy running it had the R endorsement himself. It took some time with Albany but he was able to cross my Pa. Class B non commercial over to an R endorsement since the weights and testing were the same. NY is more restrictive as I can only drive an RV over 26,000 lb. whereas my PA Class B allowed me to drive anything over 26,000 that was not commercial.
It was a pleasure to deal with a DMV person that was knowledgeable,patient and courteous. And seemed like a very nice guy on top of it.
__________________
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Our move to NY was done and I was fortunate enough to go to a small DMV satellite office where the guy running it had the R endorsement himself. It took some time with Albany but he was able to cross my Pa. Class B non commercial over to an R endorsement since the weights and testing were the same. NY is more restrictive as I can only drive an RV over 26,000 lb. whereas my PA Class B allowed me to drive anything over 26,000 that was not commercial.
It was a pleasure to deal with a DMV person that was knowledgeable,patient and courteous. And seemed like a very nice guy on top of it.

Please let us know where that office is! It would be nice to find any NYS DMV office that knows the regs. So far the best one I've found is at ECC South in Orchard Park.
__________________

__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State of California to DOUBLE vehicle license fees Stevegd007 iRV2.com General Discussion 99 05-07-2009 06:49 PM
Would you Support a National Senior Citizen Fishing License?? FLYTYER Just Conversation 33 03-17-2009 03:04 PM
License, I don't need no Stinkin License StopeCat Bus Conversions 42 09-22-2007 01:08 PM
License Plates Easyrider MH-General Discussions & Problems 15 03-02-2005 06:27 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.