Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

RV for License

I live in New York and my Darling Dawn and I have just purchased an RV. The difficulty that I have is that the RV is over 26000 pounds and is in Louisiana where I will go to pick it up. I need a New York State "R" endorsement for my drivers license. This requires a road test. Any suggestions on how I can rent a 26000+ RV to take that test??? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would be inclined to hire a qualified driver to bring the coach to you.

Driving out of class is no big deal unless you were to get in an accident. I don't recommend that.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Another RV'er in my city, rented a box truck to take the test with. He did this prior to purchasing his RV, so he could drive his out of state purchase home when he got it.

You need to know someone who already has the class license, so you can get a 'permit' and be legal to drive with him in the coach. Then you need to take the driving test in that class vehicle, so he needs to come with you so you have an answer for 'how did you get this coach here'?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

I wonder if a certified instructor and examiner for a Class A could teach you and sign you off with a 26K lb truck.... There are a lot of mid range trucks with air brakes that are available to rent...
Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
James, You don't need any endorsement for New York, is it a requirement in Louisiana? If so, maybe the seller or dealer can meet you just across the state line? As for an accident, as long as you have insurance as a New York driver and your RV is registered in New York, you will be covered....your insurance agent can verify that.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a written test also. In Tx, you take the written to get the permit, practice driving it a while then take the road test. Also, in case I am misreading: If you are legal in NY then you are legal in La.

I would call the drivers license office and see if they have any suggestions for getting the endorsement. If you have an RV now, maybe they will let you use it to take the test.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
James, You don't need any endorsement for New York, is it a requirement in Louisiana?
I don't believe that is true. I have the unfortunate situation of having to become a NY resident. From my investigation and that of the DMV officer a Class B would be required.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv500c.pdf
Old 07-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #8

James is correct. A R endorsement is required for over 26000 pound GVW in New York. No written test just a road test. You have to be accompanied by a driver with a R endorsement or a CDL A or B to the road test. Most police officers in New York are unfamiliar with the requirements.
When we got our first coach we flee to Phoenix. Drove home then got the R endorsement

Duane
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

You can go to the DMV and ask for an "R" endorsement permit. You then have 6 months to schedule the test. I actually had to do this twice because of a problem scheduling the test. You do look pretty funny with your 40ft motorhome in line with all the 16 year olds waiting for your test. The test drive was easy except when he wanted me to parallel park it. I told him he was nuts. (failed that part, Buts its only 5 point deduction)
TheQuades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

What is an R endorsement versus a Class B license?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefarmer View Post
James is correct. A R endorsement is required for over 26000 pound GVW in New York. No written test just a road test. You have to be accompanied by a driver with a R endorsement or a CDL A or B to the road test. Most police officers in New York are unfamiliar with the requirements.
When we got our first coach we flee to Phoenix. Drove home then got the R endorsement

Duane
Duane is spot on. The R endorsement is required if your rig has a GVW of more than 26,000 pounds or is over 40 feet long. This is something that most DMV employees and most law enforcement are not aware of. There is no written test but there is a driving test. The driving test is fairly simple, but they do seem to be "beefing" it up some over the years.

What county are you in? Here in Erie County there is only one office that seems to have a clue about the test. It is almost comical when you go to sign up because the clerk has to bring over a supervisor who then will tell you that they have to schedule you for an unscheduled road test. (Yes, that is exactly what I was told.) They will then issue you a 30 day permit which does NOT require you to have someone who has an R endorsement to be with you. However, when you take the road test you must be accompanied by someone with an R endorsement or higher.

Bottom line is that you can get your permit, then go pick up your new rig and then drive it home and be legal. Now you will have the rig available for your road test when its unscheduled scheduled time arises.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
What is an R endorsement versus a Class B license?

An R endorsement is just what NY State calls its license to drive an RV.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjrey View Post
I live in New York and my Darling Dawn and I have just purchased an RV. The difficulty that I have is that the RV is over 26000 pounds and is in Louisiana where I will go to pick it up. I need a New York State "R" endorsement for my drivers license. This requires a road test. Any suggestions on how I can rent a 26000+ RV to take that test??? Thanks
What class of license do yo have.
It looks like there are endorsements printed on your license.
Looking at the DMV info, it was not clear if you automatically get them for the class license you have, or if you have to take a test for the endorsement.

They are printed just under your expiration date...Look for a "R"

That allows Recreational vehicles OVER 26Klbs
"Most" states let you drive a RV if it is over 26K witth a regular license (under 40ft)
From their web site: New York licenses

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What class of license do yo have.
It looks like there are endorsements printed on your license.
Looking at the DMV info, it was not clear if you automatically get them for the class license you have, or if you have to take a test for the endorsement.

They are printed just under your expiration date...Look for a "R"

That allows Recreational vehicles OVER 26Klbs
"Most" states let you drive a RV if it is over 26K witth a regular license (under 40ft)
From their web site: New York licenses

Regards,

Dan
The only way to obtain the R endorsement is to take the road test. There is nothing automatic or grandfathered in for the R endorsement. Of course, NYS charges for the endorsement. They don't want to miss out on a chance to pick up some revenue.

It is definitely a requirement in NY. I wouldn't expect an issue with most law enforcement but I would really be concerned about attorneys in the event of an accident.