Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

RV Full-time Insurance Cost, DP

I just saw one online quote for insurance on a DP while full-time RVing. I've read on here where some people stated they were paying around $1K or in that range for insurance. My quote was 3x that so I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share there cost of insurance for full-time RVing? Or a range of their cost of insurance?

I was pricing for an 05 Newmar Mountain Aire but my quote seemed outrageous. I am getting more quotes.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

I'm going to recommend that you use a broker that is familiar with RV policies if this is your first time going full-time as opposed to calling around getting quotes yourself. I know you'll get plenty of recommendations from those who will say "I use such-and-such-carrier" and my premium is "$xxx so I recommend my agent." ...etc.

However, the reason I recommend a broker is that there are a lot of ins-and-outs about being insured as full-timers as opposed to the week-end RVer. I know many will disagree but this is my opinion only.

Also, by using a broker, they will be able to get quotes from multiple carriers that they deal with. In subsequent years, as you get more familiar with how you want to be insured as a full-timer and for what things you want covered, etc., you can then go shopping yourself and get individual quotes ...but you'd be still free to stay with the broker you use and have them do some quote shopping or even use another broker if you wish.

A good one and one who is well known around the country for RV insurance is Miller in Lake Oswego Oregon. They are very familiar with RV insurance so can advise you in a lot of areas that you may not be unfamiliar with. They will be able to get quotes from several sources and are licensed to sell insurance in all states. However, Miller isn't the only broker that is familiar with RV insurance and I'm sure others will give you some suggestions too. Many use FCIS (Farm & City) out of Forest City Iowa. Decades ago they started marketing toward Winnebago owners as they are in the same town as the factory but now many RVers use them.

Again, there are many RV insurance brokers out there who should be able to steer you in the right direction. Many "ordinary" brokers and agents that offer full-time RV insurance are often not versed on RVs and how to insure them or even how to make sure you're adequately covered for full-timing.

To answer you question you asked, however, I don't think getting what others pay is necessarily a good way to figure what you'll pay. There are so many alternatives and ways of thinking about insurance.

For example, we insure for catastrophic events and prefer to self-insure as much as possible. Therefore, we keep our premiums relatively low compared to most people because we choose to take very high deductibles and choose to not insure for a lot of things. We don't like to claim every little thing that happens and rather pay out-of-pocket for most things.

So I can give you what we paid but I don't think it would really mean too much to you because we also were paying higher premiums because we had both vehicles inside a Montana LLC. So again, it will not mean much to you what we paid. From what I can remember, the last premium for the coach, toad, and 2-million umbrella policy was right around the $2,000/year but again would be substantially less if we didn't use an LLC. This was two years ago as we are now "retired."

Miller in Lake Oswego Oregon

FCIS in Forest City Iowa
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

My wife and I are now retired, selling our house and furniture, and in process of buying a 2012 40' Allegro bus from a dealer in S.C. Very shortly we will become full time RV newbies (a journey we planned to start 3 years ago which was delayed for cancer treatment). theroc, I found your reply very interesting as we are trying to decide if creating the Montana LLC for registering is the best way to go and also as we are researching insurance information.

Your explanation was great on why to consider broker who knows the RV market. I did not know that insurance rates might be if an LLC is used. We currently live in Georgia and if registered / tagged here will pay 7.8% of the sale price in taxes plus tag fees, so we would still be thousands ahead in an LLC and slightly higher insurance.

Again thank you for your great posting.
blinddog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddog2 View Post
My wife and I are now retired, selling our house and furniture, and in process of buying a 2012 40' Allegro bus from a dealer in S.C. Very shortly we will become full time RV newbies (a journey we planned to start 3 years ago which was delayed for cancer treatment). theroc, I found your reply very interesting as we are trying to decide if creating the Montana LLC for registering is the best way to go and also as we are researching insurance information.

Your explanation was great on why to consider broker who knows the RV market. I did not know that insurance rates might be if an LLC is used. We currently live in Georgia and if registered / tagged here will pay 7.8% of the sale price in taxes plus tag fees, so we would still be thousands ahead in an LLC and slightly higher insurance.

Again thank you for your great posting.
Welcome to posting on the forum and also to full-timing!

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Montana LLCs as it's a contentious subject here on the forum so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I'll just say this, yes, insurance will be higher using an LLC. And yes, it will generally be more than off-set by the amount you save in sales taxes. However, keep in mind that Montana recently passed their “Ferrari tax" which will add $825 so it mitigates the tax savings a bit. It could still save some money to register using a Montana LLC and may make sense since you will be full-time. However, I'm sure you've also looked into and researched the other alternatives too.

If you are going the LLC route, consider using one of the local insurance brokers there in Missoula that are versed on how to insure a full-timer and one who is using an LLC.

Two good ones are:

Garden City Insurance
(Keith Nelson)
Email: info@gardencityins.com
415 N. Higgins Ave., Suite 5
Missoula, MT 59802
(866) 444-1084 [Toll Free]
(406) 549-8527 [Fax]

Destination Services
(Lexi Johnson)
lexi@destinationfinancial.com
2434 W Central Ave
Missoula, MT 59801
(877) 553-3400 [toll-free]
(406 )721-2562 --local
Both know the ins-and-outs of insuring LLCs and full-time situations.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #5

I was able to find a better rate through Miller Insurance. I think I had at least five quotes from various places and for me, Miller Insurance had the most affordable with the same coverage.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

We have all of our rolling stock insured through AARP Harford.

Less than $500 year for ours full converge insured value $120k.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Welcome to posting on the forum and also to full-timing!

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Montana LLCs as it's a contentious subject here on the forum so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I'll just say this, yes, insurance will be higher using an LLC. And yes, it will generally be more than off-set by the amount you save in sales taxes. However, keep in mind that Montana recently passed their “Ferrari tax" which will add $825 so it mitigates the tax savings a bit. It could still save some money to register using a Montana LLC and may make sense since you will be full-time. However, I'm sure you've also looked into and researched the other alternatives too.

If you are going the LLC route, consider using one of the local insurance brokers there in Missoula that are versed on how to insure a full-timer and one who is using an LLC.

Two good ones are:

Garden City Insurance
(Keith Nelson)
Email: info@gardencityins.com
415 N. Higgins Ave., Suite 5
Missoula, MT 59802
(866) 444-1084 [Toll Free]
(406) 549-8527 [Fax]

Destination Services
(Lexi Johnson)
lexi@destinationfinancial.com
2434 W Central Ave
Missoula, MT 59801
(877) 553-3400 [toll-free]
(406 )721-2562 --local
Both know the ins-and-outs of insuring LLCs and full-time situations.
I looked at this recently. LLC in Montana, if you are not a Montana resident, can be construed as committing tax fraud. You are truly evading taxes - not avoiding them! Be careful doing this- you are going to have to prove that you are a resident of Montana potentially. Remember your federal income taxes indicate what state you are a resident of.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance