Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Google Maps in my Samsung S6 phone has been getting me around the country with no issues. I'm not going to spend lots of $$$ on a GPS when it's free in my phone.

Google maps just sent me on 2 lane BACK roads in Ark. and Mo. 80 miles of them. Enough to make me get a garmin 660. I sure hope that never happens again.
The bad thing is google pulled me off of a 5 lane high way going to Springfield, Mo. to about 60 miles of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backroads.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	169563  

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #58

I use the free version of Copilot and am able to customize my driving speeds for various types of roads. I really slowed down my speed on side roads and even the semi major roads. Doing a long distance trip routing, it will now keep me on interstates much better than Google maps. Google maps is the worst in this regard. My garmin is pretty good because it learns your driving habits.

However, google maps is the best for traffic, by far. I just wish I could customize google maps for my desired driving speeds.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
Google maps just sent me on 2 lane BACK roads in Ark. and Mo. 80 miles of them. Enough to make me get a garmin 660. I sure hope that never happens again.

The bad thing is google pulled me off of a 5 lane high way going to Springfield, Mo. to about 60 miles of this.

Almost every GPS will route you as YOU have told it to.

If you specified "shortest route" instead of "fastest route", or "avoid toll roads" THAT is what it will do.

Computers don't make mistakes, the person programming them does.

As my IT techie friend says when someone asks what was the problem with the computer, "It was a mechanical defect, there was a 'loose nut' at the keyboard.'
Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With Co-Pilot you can also add custom POIs such as campgrounds, Pilot Flying J stations, rest areas, etc from sites such as POI Factory

If you have an Android device follow these instructions: Importing custom POIs to an Android device

For an iOS device follow these instructions: Importing custom POIs to an iOS device
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Almost every GPS will route you as YOU have told it to.

If you specified "shortest route" instead of "fastest route", or "avoid toll roads" THAT is what it will do.

Computers don't make mistakes, the person programming them does.

As my IT techie friend says when someone asks what was the problem with the computer, "It was a mechanical defect, there was a 'loose nut' at the keyboard.'
If YOU haven't used google maps YOU don't know what you're talking about. That was supposed to be the fastest route. I've had pretty good luck in the past, but NOT this time. I suppose if a person was in a car, that route may have been faster, NOT in a MH.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #62

Quote:
If YOU haven't used google maps YOU don't know what you're talking about. That was supposed to be the fastest route. I've had pretty good luck in the past, but NOT this time. I suppose if a person was in a car, that route may have been faster, NOT in a MH.

I use it all the time and have for years, that's how I know how it works.

Mobile or desktop you have all the same options, fastest, shortest, avoid tolls, etc., etc., even preview so you know exactly where it's trying to send you before you ever turn a wheel.

Again, if "it" sent you somewhere 'wrong' it's because YOU didn't look at what it was doing.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Common sense must be used with any navigation device. If you are going to become a lemming take the consequence. Review your route and have a reasonable idea where and what route you want to take. I've noticed Mr or miss Google has routed correctly with the routing line but has forgotten left from right. Get a good RV GPS(that way you have all the tools). Now learn to use those tools CORRECTLY . My personal choice is the Garmin RV660, RV760 or the new RV770. Interesting that the old 760 is priced way above What it should be. If you are $$ challenged I see a 7" for $109 unit and with a little work and PIO files can get near RV GPS. Remember you can have the best tool made but a wrench won't work on a screw.

LEN
Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
With Co-Pilot you can also add custom POIs such as campgrounds, Pilot Flying J stations, rest areas, etc from sites such as POI Factory

If you have an Android device follow these instructions: Importing custom POIs to an Android device

For an iOS device follow these instructions: Importing custom POIs to an iOS device
You can also easily load custom POIs into Garmin GPS units.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Surely you jest.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #66

Quote:
I had it do something similar from West Plains, MO to central Arkansas. Fortunately, I wasn't in an RV, but it was still not a fun drive and had three close calls with deer.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Yes it will load but when I loaded a low clearance POIs into my Garmin 770 it would warn me over low overheads that were going under the highway not just ones over the highway.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps