Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny2448 View Post
I use the Garmin 770 system. You can enter all your info into the system very easily. Get lifetime updates, too.
Great! I feel good about our purchase. Thanks a bunch!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
My experience, and the experience of most people I have seen on RV-related social media pages, is that the Garmin 770 is the best RV GPS navigation system on the market.

I've read the negative comments about it in this thread and have the following comments:

1. EVERY GPS unit makes errors. It's not a perfect science - yet. Don't expect that any GPS unit you might buy will be infallible.

2. People who drop a dedicated RV GPS system in favor of Google, Waze or other non-RV specific systems are doing so at the risk of being routed on roads that may have bridges too low for their rigs, roads that may not be able to accommodate the weight of their RV, or roads that may be too dangerous to drive because of the length or width of their RV. CoPilot can handle RV dimensions and route accordingly, but it won't handle RV weights more than 26,000 pounds.

3. MOST non-dedicated GPS systems (Google, Waze, Allstays, etc.) cannot be used while driving unless you have an active cellular data or wifi signal. Google has made a recent effort to download some maps, but it's not fully implemented (to my knowledge)...and it still won't handle RV routing.

4. The resolution on the Garmin 770 is fine. As a matter of fact, it's better than fine on a screen that's 7 inches. The 770's brightness is better than most cell phones or tablets.

5. As far as an intuitive interface (some commented that the 770 interface is not intuitive), I challenge you to find one that's more intuitive. You turn it on and it says "Where to?". You type in your destination city, then type in the name of a campground or business and press "Go" when it pops up. Alternatively, you can type in a street address.

6. Unlike Google or other non-dedicated apps or devices, you can look for places coming up ALONG YOUR ROUTE.

7. Google's maps are constantly updated, and they should be because you're always having to use a live connection to access them. Garmin's (and Rand McNally's) are updated monthly or quarterly. That's pretty good for all of them. Waze maps aren't updated that frequently.

8. Points of interest (like campgrounds and fuel stops) are comprehensive in the dedicated units and include information about the campground (phone number and sometimes more). You don't get that if you're offline with anything else. And you don't get in online either unless you leave your navigation app.

9. Waze is the best for live traffic updates, but it's no good for RV routing so it's best used as a "backup" tool off to the side. The dedicated units (770, 7730, 7735) all support live traffic routing (as does Google). But, in all cases, that live traffic information and routing requires a data connection using either wifi or cellular.

10. Some units, like the 770 with a separate subscription, support live weather information along your route. This is not available on Google.

11. Paper maps, like the Motor Carrier's Atlas, are great as a backup reference. But they won't "talk" to you while you're driving. And they're only updated annually.

12. Dedicated GPS units can be switched for use in either your RV or your tow vehicle. You can't do that with Google, Waze or the others because there is no "RV" mode.

13. While Google Navigation does offer some control by voice, finding places and changing routes is far more difficult to do by voice than with the 770's Voice Command.

14. You can enter and save entire trips in the dedicated units. When you get back into your RV, you just continue to the next destination. Can't do that with apps or web-based services.

There's more, but this is enough. If you have recently purchased a 770 or 7730/7735, good for you! Learn to use it. Keep it updated. And know that it ain't perfect - like everything else. If you hate the 770 and want to sell it, I've got good news: there are a lot of RVers out there who would LOVE to buy your unit. Don't believe me? Go scan dozens of Facebook groups and read the hundreds of comments from very satisfied owners. There are many folks out there looking to buy them.
Awesome. Thank you Mike Griffin.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculatin View Post
Garmin is the way to go. Love it.
Thank you for this I feel better with what we have chosen
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by b17drvr View Post
I have a Garmin RV760 and love it.
I’ve been using Garmin in aircraft for years and they make great avionics.
Yes!!!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #75

God system

Iphone with google maps!!!!!
Jocroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculatin View Post
Garmin is the way to go. Love it.
Waiting for ours to arrive!!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #77

RV GPS

We purchased a Garmin 760 GPS and used it to drive from West Virginia to Alaska and back. We logged over 12,00 mile and the Garmain worked like a charm
wbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewer View Post
We purchased a Garmin 760 GPS and used it to drive from West Virginia to Alaska and back. We logged over 12,00 mile and the Garmain worked like a charm
Awesome!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
I have the Garmin. Just when I start to trust it, it gives me a goofy turn or something. So I always keep a old fashioned map next to the drivers seat. I also added a new android radio that has a GPS as well. Sometimes I like it better than the Garmin. Even with current updates is never a fail safe.
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #80

I use Rand Mcnally. Has a lot of features. Only neg. is sun refection on the screen makes it a little hard to see.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #81

I had a Rand McNally tripmate and the screen was terrible except at night :-( during the day the bright light made it impossible to see. So I got a Garmin 770 and the screen is excellent BUT the routing and RV size warnings are terrible in comparison. Eg according to Garmin all the road in national parks are illegal. Of course Google Maps will not warn you if you are too tall or heavy either! Tripmate has much better database of roads etc.
twestheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Garmin RV 7" is fantastic!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #83

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Anything but Rand

I purchased the Rand McNally 7inch portable from Camping World. The good thing about it is the preloaded campgrounds, and being able to spec your size, weight, height, etc limits. In actual use by copilot, the unit is the worst I have ever used. Locks up, announces turns AFTER you are in the intersection, and gets lost frequently.

Garmin and Tom Tom work better as GPS units, but Tom Tom is smaller. The Garmin can accept lots of Points of Interest, but is a bit on the slow side at tracking location.

Perhaps eyes are getting weak, but the TABLET with 10 inch screen provides more Real Estate for a bigger view. Many programs are available for both IPAD and Android formats. Allstays works well for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanne View Post
Hello everyone. I don't know if I am placing this post in the right place, but can anyone advise of a good GPS navigation system for RVs. I would like to enter the RVs specifications in order to get appropriate routes etc. I used my phones navigation on a short trip. I didnt like the way it took me. Good for a car...not good for an RV..lol
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We have the built in Rand McNally also, but prefer the Garmin, even though the screen is not as big.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps