Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #85

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Absolutely recommend an 10" Android tablet as others have suggested. Just make sure it has a built in GPS. SOooo much better than a dedicated GPS device. With the Android you can try numerous GPS programs , many of which are free, and never have to worry about updates. Because it is a tablet - you can use it for everything from email to games to writing. A LOT of tablets are priced lower than stand alone GPS units.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #86

iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the Rand McNally because I can plan my trip on laptop & then transfer that route to my GPS. Along with all the features it has.
snevetsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #87

Do not buy a Magellan unit!! Their support is terrible and I have had to replace two units in two years. Good thing I took the warranty.
bruce2868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #88

Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin 660 is great
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanne View Post
hello everyone. I don't know if i am placing this post in the right place, but can anyone advise of a good gps navigation system for rvs. I would like to enter the rvs specifications in order to get appropriate routes etc. I used my phones navigation on a short trip. I didnt like the way it took me. Good for a car...not good for an rv..lol

cyanne;
like 2 stroker, we use the garmin rv 760. You can set it up to the size of the motor home, roads traveled and low bridges, etc.
dpavlosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
Absolutely recommend an 10" Android tablet as others have suggested. Just make sure it has a built in GPS. SOooo much better than a dedicated GPS device. With the Android you can try numerous GPS programs , many of which are free, and never have to worry about updates. Because it is a tablet - you can use it for everything from email to games to writing. A LOT of tablets are priced lower than stand alone GPS units.
Bob (BobKatGifts),

I can understand that you prefer a 10" tablet. Don't honestly know why you think it's so much better as a navigation aid (I get that it's multipurpose). About the only standalone RV GPS program you can get on Android is CoPilot (hope that's what you're using), but that doesn't automatically update - you have to go "get" the updates. The tablet screen is larger, but the speakers are smaller and quieter and the apps you can get don't offer nearly as many features as a dedicated GPS.

But, hey, whatever works best for you!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanne View Post
Hello everyone. I don't know if I am placing this post in the right place, but can anyone advise of a good GPS navigation system for RVs. I would like to enter the RVs specifications in order to get appropriate routes etc. I used my phones navigation on a short trip. I didnt like the way it took me. Good for a car...not good for an RV..lol
I have tried to CoPilot app. Personally, I didn’t like it. Yes, you can enter all of your information which I thought was great. The reason I purchased it was our cell phone google maps took us on a very narrow road with a one lane bridge which required a 90 degree turn on entrance. We were pulling a toad and just barely made the turn w/o unhooking. Purchased CoPilot while at RV Park put in all of our info when we got ready to leave instead of taking us the preferred route CoPilot only gave us the way we originally came in back across the one lane bridge. I never used it again.
Goldcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
RV navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I have recently purchased the Garmin RV 770 LMT S and think it's a great product. I've had it out on three trips now and I really like the way it directs you to the correct route especially as you driving through cities and multi-lane interchanges. It's excellent as far as I know.
Ditto. We love ours. Hasn’t led us wrong yet!
cjnexplorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #93

NOT Magellan GPS for RV, it is the most useless garbage. Tells you the wrong route. Does not protect you from low bridges.
Lenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #94

Send a message via AIM to Reysol
I have used different GPS units over the years, now they're all in drawer and lately I've been using Google. When in the RV, I've used the copilot with great success. I replaced my coach's single din old radio with a 10" touchscreen Android system that has an external GPS sensor. The radio can use Google maps and when no cell is available it uses satellites for location. Just my 2¢.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #95

It appears from your response that you are ready to go with the Garmin. I have both the 660 and 770 and I haven't been that thrilled with them. One time, by my mistake, I even entered the location that I was already at. You would assume that it would have just said nothing or that I had arrived. Instead, it sent me on a wild goose chase all over a town for about 20 or so miles heading to no place in particular. Who knows when that would have stopped, but I pulled over and checked on my phone to see what was up and then realized that it had sent me to points unknown. We also have used it against Apple phones and car GPS units and where it wanted us to go made no sense whatsoever. I haven't thrown them out the window, yet, but there is a lot of room for improvement with them.
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanne View Post
Hello everyone. I don't know if I am placing this post in the right place, but can anyone advise of a good GPS navigation system for RVs. I would like to enter the RVs specifications in order to get appropriate routes etc. I used my phones navigation on a short trip. I didnt like the way it took me. Good for a car...not good for an RV..lol
I second the nomination of the Garmin RV 760. I originally tried a Rand McNally product and programmed a destination I knew would take me to a low clearance underpass. It routed me around it appropriately, however when I purposely ignored the directions and headed toward the low clearance underpass it eventually routed me that way. My Garmin RV 760 did not do that. When I reached a point of no return heading toward the low clearance underpass the Garmin put a large warning sign on the screen and did not show me the route anymore. It simply said STOP YOUR ROUTE IS UNSAFE.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
levans1788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by levans1788 View Post
I second the nomination of the Garmin RV 760. I originally tried a Rand McNally product and programmed a destination I knew would take me to a low clearance underpass. It routed me around it appropriately, however when I purposely ignored the directions and headed toward the low clearance underpass it eventually routed me that way. My Garmin RV 760 did not do that. When I reached a point of no return heading toward the low clearance underpass the Garmin put a large warning sign on the screen and did not show me the route anymore. It simply said STOP YOUR ROUTE IS UNSAFE.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
This helps a lot. Thank you so much. Purchased a Garmin..waiting for delivery.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #98

I purchased the Garmin RV770 LMT S some months ago as it appeared to have the best, or maybe I should say, highest rating for things like size, brightness, delivery of directions and so on. What I found out after attempting to use the software called Base Camp. It interfaces with the 770 and uploads pre-programmed trips which includes directions that are specific and owner generated. In addition, the (S) stands for Smartphone of which once the two devices are paired, you will recognize why having 'Unlimited Data' is so important.
In my opinion, programming from computer to GPS is not user friendly and may require many phone calls to support, uses tons of data for traffic and updates, and a manual leaves a lot to desire.
I consider this GPS to be like golf clubs. Once you own the you just get use to them.
jcag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps