Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Heater doesn't distribute hot air evenly.

My challenger's heater kicks butt, but the front of the RV is several degrees cooler than the rear (bedroom) area. I've have an in floor system with floor vents in the bedroom, kitchen area and up front near the sofa/entertainment area. Also a large circular vent in the bathroom that blows 90 percent of the air. I've replaced the bedroom floor vent with an adjustable vent so I can limit the air flow into the bedroom, but it's still 82 in the bedroom and 67 up front new the sofa. Any ideas on mod'ing to even out the heat distribution is welcome.. I thought maybe putting a larger vent up front, but I'm not sure yet.

Any ideas....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #2

We thought about a small electric fireplace up front so the electric heater would help heat and it would come from the electric power we are plugged into. Previous owner did this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You have to remember that usually the front area is about twice as much space to heat as the bedroom area. We have a small oscillating electric heater that we use when it really gets cold!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

PS: it never will heat evenly either
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You have to remember that usually the front area is about twice as much space to heat as the bedroom area. We have a small oscillating electric heater that we use when it really gets cold!
x 2 on the small electric heater!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Not sure what type heater system you have, but, when we had our gasser we had two heaters in our 35 ft. One heated the back and the other heated the front. They heated there own respective area.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 AM   #7

Change the bathroom one for one you can regulate, and reduce that flow. Same issue on our Damon, did this and problem sorted.
Had the same funnily enough on our last, a Winne Brave, it already had an adjustable vent in bathroom and it was wide open, again reducing the flow here sorted. Bathroom area is small, you just don't need major air flow to that room.

You can prove the point by simply blocking it off for a couple of cycles.
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use 2 oil filled electric radiant heaters, one up front and one back in the bedroom. Until it gets really cold outside our furnace never turns on, and then with the electrics still being used it rarely runs. We used to go through a lot of LP gas during the cold camping season, now with the electrics we use very little LP.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Any ideas....
Start the engine and head farther South until the heater is not needed often.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #10

Close the register in the bedroom and bathroom forcing more air towards the front. You'll still get heat coming through the other registers that you closed. Just a matter of balancing the system, need to keep tweaking the registers till you hit the right happy medium. All else fails as stated above by others use some other sources.

Also depending where the thermostat is located could effect the issue.

2014 Berkshire 390RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #11

One thing I forgot to mention, make SURE that the heaters you purchase have "tip over" protection, and are Underwriters Laboratories Listed!

On that, two years ago I purchased two heaters from Camping World that stated "tip over protection" on the box, and I thought were UL Listed. Turns out (after we almost started a fire) that if you tip these little suckers over, the DO NOT shut off! Also, where I had read UL Listed, they actually stated "UL Tested", having NO affiliation with Underwriters Laboratories.

They were manufactured in, you guessed it, China. (Not China bashing here, just stating fact.) I took both of the heaters back to Camping World, as I still had the receipt/boxes. I told them they were unsafe, and that the manufacturer AND Camping World was false advertising (I think inadvertently on the part of Camping World) as they had repeated the manufacturers claims on the CW website.

The manager told me, no, these DO have "Tip Over Protection", see, it says so right on the box! I plugged on in, knocked it over, and guess what? It kept running! I then got a brand new one off the shelf, unpacked it, plugged it in, tipped it over and IT kept running! I then asked the manager to please explain to me what "Tip Over Protection" meant to HIM!?!

He refunded me my money, and CW no longer sells those heaters, although they DO continue to handle that brand. I haven't tried any of their other models, as I went with a brand that is actually "UL Listed". Still made overseas, but has functioning TOP and really puts out the heat!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tribute