Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #1

Unhappy RV House Lights Problem, Battery relay problem?

I'm having an issues with my 2008 Four Winds Windsport. My RV house lights dim It first started when I noticed that when I'm plugged into shore power the lights inside the RV flicker or dim. When I turn on the water (the pump) I notice the lights dim. I hear occasional clicking in the chassis area. Then while on vacation recently I went out for a few hours and left the radio on for my dogs. When I came back the radio flickered and died and the lights were barely lit. When I hit the test battery button it was red/needed recharging. I thought that when plugged in the battery should always be charging. I had a couple friends test my batteries (the chassis and 2 house batteries) and battery charger and they said they were all good. We we discovered the battery control center is in the chassis area under the hood, I realized that the clicking sound I was hearing was coming from there. They suggested some type of relay problem. I also noticed that in the stairwell area which is where my connect to chassis and coach buttons are that even though I have both buttons pressed up to the connect position, the coach button is red. Shouldn't both be green? (see attached picture). Is anyone familiar with this type of problem? I know nothing about this stuff but would like to have a better understanding before I take it to Camping World for service. Thanks in advance for your help.....Valerie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5491.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	140986  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't have experience with this but I would strongly suggest you not take it to Camping world. Ask for a reference to a service center from a friend who's judgement and experience you trust or look at rvservicereviews.com

Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Before you spend your money having it fixed try cleaning your battery posts with baking soda and some hot water be careful not to get soda in the batteries. Remove battery wires one at a time and clean both the post and the wire with a wire brush. Follow the ground/negative wire until you find where it connects to the frame or engine, disconnect and clean both surfaces.
This may or may not be your problem but is good place to start and should be part of your maintainence routine.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If the batteries are bad, then the charger is not going to be able charge them and bring them up to voltage. Your symptoms are similar to a bad battery.

How old are your batteries, what is their voltage after they are sitting at rest for two hours (nothing on drawing power, and the charger/converter not trying to charge them)? I'm betting when you get the battery voltage and compare it to a battery voltage table, you'll find there voltage is substantially low.

How is it exactly that your friends determined the batteries are okay?
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you might have a failing converter/charger. I have a 2006 Hurricane so I'm working off that our two rigs are configured the same. The converter should be wired to power the coach even when the house batteries are removed and you are on shore power or the generator. You can verify by by using the disconnect switch when on shore power. Trip the circuit and nothing appears to happen even though you have disconnected the house batteries. Granted your friend may have tested it but if they did not test it with a load and only verified a 12VDC output that may not be enough.

Not long after I acquired my coach I had very similar indications. House batteries volts always low, lights dimming, clicking relays and such even when on shore power. I Disconnected the house battery and measured the DC power from the converter as I loaded the circuit (turning on more and more lights) and the converter output volts dropped as the load increased. With all the lights on AND triggering the furnace blower I was well under 12VDC from the converter.

Unfortunately converters normally don't die catastrophically but slowly fail and can appear to be OK until you start demanding power. Do a load test as I described and post what you read for volts with increasing loads. Use a meter rather than the built in indicator. And as cruizerEd advised, don't take it to Camping World.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forgot to add - the red/green lights at the disconnect switches by the door are very basic Go/No Go indicators concerning house and chassis volts. What I don't know is what voltage level the lights will switch from green to red.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A bit more info concerning your battery control center. The link is to a PDF troubleshoot guide produced by RV Custom Products who manufactured your controller.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1304284...pdf?download=1
Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Forgot to add - the red/green lights at the disconnect switches by the door are very basic Go/No Go indicators concerning house and chassis volts. What I don't know is what voltage level the lights will switch from green to red.
I'm wrong on this one. Hurricane finally passed so I could verify with my coach. Chassis is green and house is red. Wishful thinking on the color shift with volts.

Tags
battery, light, lights