Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

RV Inspection in Ohio???

Hi all, I don't know if this is the correct area for this post, but I couldn't figure out a better place.
I'm trying to figure out a way to locate a person to take a look at an RV I'm interested in buying. It's located in Barberton Ohio just south of Akron.
I was second high bidder on ebay, the high bidder backed out. I think it's too good to be true so I really don't want to drive 16 hours just to be disappointed. I am also reluctant to start calling random dealerships to locate a person to do the inspection, if it's really a good deal I don't want it bought out from under me.
The coach is a 2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom. It has new tires, batteries, inverter ect.
I am not concerned with every little detail, I am used to doing fairly extensive repairs/service on any coach I buy. I'm mainly worried about delam/water damage, significant surface rust on the chassis, sub-standard previous paint work/collision repair. Things that can't be fixed.
Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
About the only one that comes up on a Google search is RV Service & Repair | Recreational Vehicle Services | On-Site RV Service located in Norwalk, OH, about 65 miles away. Another thought is check with Good Sam Road Service and see if they have an RV mobile tech that could do an inspection for you. Here's a Camping World RV center near Akron, New & Used RVs for Sale in Cleveland Ohio | Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels from Sirpilla RV - Sirpilla RV Akron

They might have someone who could look and report to you.

Another auto inspection place is http://www.lemonsquad.com/rv-inspections.php They also do RVs, I don't know if they have inspectors in NE Ohio.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wouldn't trust Sirpilla's techs - speaking from experience.

Try calling Paul Pratt's 330-833-4245. That's who we used for mobile repairs at the 09 Nat'l Rally.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

Try Seville RV Repair

You might want to try Randy who is the owner of Seville RV in Seville, OH.
His shop is at the Route 3 Exit of I-76 and close to Barberton. I have used him for several repairs to my Class A Monaco and was very satisfied. He has a mobile service truck and a very nice shop. I don't know if he would do an inspection but I suspect he would be willing to do it. His number is 330-769-3070. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

If you got that motorhome for what I think you did, you got a deal at about $40,000 under NADA low book. So, there's plenty of room built-in for some repairs even if you decide you don't like it and flip it.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
If you got that motorhome for what I think you did, you got a deal at about $40,000 under NADA low book. So, there's plenty of room built-in for some repairs even if you decide you don't like it and flip it.
You are exactly right about the coach. It was offered for 58,500 after the high bidder backed out. It's a steal at that price, almost too good to be true. If I didn't have the Windsor down in the barn I would've made the 16 hour drive to go look. It is much more family friendly than the Monaco and about three times the basement storage.
Unfortunately, I've had a really bad experience with basement air. We are primarily summer campers, lot's of 100 degree plus days, there was not a whole lot of consensus over on the Winne owners forum that even in perfect working condition the basement system would maintain 70 degrees on a 100 degree day. We've had three different coaches with roof air, and as long as we start out the day cool, none of them had any problem keeping up.
With all that said, if the coach was a little closer I probably would've already bought it.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I was actually leaning toward a web based service called Lemon Squad. Its kind on an interesting service, they contract mechanics, adjusters, and that sort of person to provide a detailed written inspection. Usually they can get it done the following day.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

I have not heard much good about basement AC either and wouldn't consider a coach so equipped without a backup plan of installing a roof AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cole_man2 View Post
You are exactly right about the coach. It was offered for 58,500 after the high bidder backed out. It's a steal at that price, almost too good to be true. If I didn't have the Windsor down in the barn I would've made the 16 hour drive to go look. It is much more family friendly than the Monaco and about three times the basement storage.
Unfortunately, I've had a really bad experience with basement air. We are primarily summer campers, lot's of 100 degree plus days, there was not a whole lot of consensus over on the Winne owners forum that even in perfect working condition the basement system would maintain 70 degrees on a 100 degree day. We've had three different coaches with roof air, and as long as we start out the day cool, none of them had any problem keeping up.
With all that said, if the coach was a little closer I probably would've already bought it.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. I was actually leaning toward a web based service called Lemon Squad. Its kind on an interesting service, they contract mechanics, adjusters, and that sort of person to provide a detailed written inspection. Usually they can get it done the following day.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote