Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
RV inspectors or not for used buying ??

we are looking to purchase our first class a camper and curious if anyone or everyone buying a used one uses some type of independent RV inspector. Are they worth the money

Also does anyone know of any on Long Island, the RV we are very interested in is in Farmingdale, NY

NYtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Yes !! My money is on every response you get to your question will be "YES". When I bought my first used class c a couple years ago I asked the same question. It was a pretty cheap investment to have the piece of mind knowing that I wasn't getting ripped off in any way.

Doing it "One day at a time" !
2013 Winnebago Adventurer 32H / 2013 Jeep Wrangler
kevin1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV inspectors or not for used buying ??

Here's a link to some previous threads on this topic.

Personally. , I would get a mobile rv tech to go over it and advise on what's going on with the unit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
NY... I have pounded the IRV2 site with questions and photos...I put sales people to the edge but never used an independent inspector. I will tell you how I bought the first RV...
I asked a million questions until I decided on a brand and model style that I wanted amongst the older more vintage MHs. I selected BOUNDER...only because the Fleetwood Bounder sold thousands and were so easy to find in the year models I could afford. I then asked specific questions about what to look for on the specific model that I wanted to buy.
When I went looking....I brought a ladder (YHEP... I had my Little Giant clone ladder with me) I hopped up on the roof (first) looked at all the seams and the roof material. PHOTO'd everything. The sales guy went NUTZ... He was almost angry....but SCREW HIM! I asked him to fire up the RV.... it did not start. I walked away.
I repeated the same action at every model I looked at....when I found one that EVERY accessory worked .... (and I made sure it would)... when I saw the roof was decent and I got underneath and looked for rust and abuse... I bought it!
NOW with that said.... I wrecked my first RV and went and bought a clone (which I still own and drive) So there are two parts to my story.... learn to drive the rig too....and do not fall into my pit. Lucky that I am a decent mechanic and am fearless at tackling RV projects.
Hope this helps ....
Now if you are LOW on mechanical skill or are not as intense as I with inspection....PAY the price and get someone to look over your choice of purchases. Even then you might not buy the potential best fit MH but at least an astute opinion was offered to you.
Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wes Trailer Sales Inc
6166 Route 25, Wading River, NY 11792
(631) 727-5852

We haven't used them, but received thumbs up from others about their service. May be they can recommend or do the inspection.
Stan, Mary, Maggie the Canine Princess & Lucy Princess in Training
2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36pft
2006 Envoy Toad
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all, I'm not too sure how legitimate this whole "Certified RV Inspector" thing is. Find yourself an rv mechanic you can trust and pay for his time. I had a guy who had done some work on the axel and lift mechanism on our popup, and I knew him to be competent and honest. When we shopped for our fulltiming class A, I knew my limitations so I had him do the checkouts. I paid him a couple hundred $$ three times to look at three coaches, and twice he steered me away from likely disasters. The third time he approved of the 10 y/o DS that we bought and still live in. Among the most effective dollars I've spent.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
No, we did not use an RV inspector. Still have the same rig 12 years later.

Also did not get a driveline inspection because we purchased an extended warranty.

I would recommend the mechanical inspection because the engine and transmission can get expensive to repair/replace in a hurry.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

I am a strong yes for having an inspection done . I say this as we did not heed that advice when we bought ours. Inexperience and overwhelming desire to own led to a poor purchase which cost thousands of dollars to get it road worthy. Would be money well spent . Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Simple answer: If it is a motor vehicle, have it inspected by a professional. I worked for 45 years in the automotive parts and service business, and made quite a bit of money on repairs for people who didn't follow that advice.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
NYtravelers, you might want to have a read through the posting I made back in April of this year on RV inspections and how they identified $30K worth of coach and mechanical issues in a motorhome that look pristine.

Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects

Also, please note that you need more than a single inspection as those qualified to inspect the coach are unlikely to be qualified to inspect the chassis.

Good luck and don't be discouraged by the cost and difficulty of doing it right. We bailed on the coach mentioned above but kept looking until we found one that was in good shape.
Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
From my experience, New to Motor Homes. I wished that I had gotten a experienced inspector to look over the coach the wife and I purchased this last January. We have nothing but problems. And the cost of the motorhome and its repairs is overwhelming. Do it, spend the extra bucks!
DCDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
It's very easy to do your own inspection, if you have basic mechanical knowledge and you to a little preplanning. First off google and check these types of forums for known problems. These will be things you need to pay extra attention to. Then request all service records and go over them with a fine tooth comb. On inspection day you will be starting on the roof and working your way down to areas under the chassis. Bring a good flashlight, ohm meter, battery tester, and clothes you don't mind crawling around in and getting dirty.

You will test every system, every which way it can work (propane, electric, fuel driven, etc.) if it opens open it, if it turns, turn it. If it has switch operate it. Run the slides in and out several times, open all windows, try all shades, etc. etc. My through inspection takes about 4 hours before I even think about taking it out on the road.

Bottom line is these things are pretty easy to inspect (although time consuming) with a bit of common sense. In 6 motorhome purchases I haven't really missed anything. That doesn't mean things won't break later on, they will, but it means that I haven't purchased a MH with any surprises that should have been caught.

Bottom Line: If you doubt your ability to look at things and see problems then maybe you need someone to do it for you but it's not very hard to see and detect problems.

Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote