Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #15

I had USAA also and they switched me to Progressive. I did some looking around and given my make/model/year, location etc, there really is not a great deal of difference. Agents don't seem to be that helpful any more, so at this point, I am sticking with Progressive. I think they will respond better than a regional company, given our travels.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller2 View Post
I just insured our 2006 Excursion 39v with Good Sams(gmac). I was blown away at the cost. 1600.00 per year. Does anyone have a better alternative or suggestion. The price might be right but it sure seems high to me
steve,
i have gmac on my 2012 phaeton..$732.. six months ..this past spring i had the mh in storage for 49 days and got $212 rebate ..
since i have 2 vehicles with gmac i saved $190.on my GMC pickup..
peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Progressive RV insurance just went down almost 10%. With a large deductible, full coverage we are under $400/yr. Only had 5 claims in 43 years so paying large premiums is just nuts.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm also with National Interstate. 1 million in coverage, costs 1290. yr.
shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainee View Post
steve,
i have gmac on my 2012 phaeton..$732.. six months ..this past spring i had the mh in storage for 49 days and got $212 rebate ..
since i have 2 vehicles with gmac i saved $190.on my GMC pickup..
peter d
Peter,
This is very close to what my first premium was with GS-GMAC, then second was close, but third (second year) doubled. Hope yours does not do that. Good price while you have it though....and the storage rebate is nice.
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #20

Geez...that's a ton! I'm actually an insurance agent and represent several different companies who insure RV's....I really think from what I've seen that Progressive really has the market on price and coverage. Often beats the competition by hundreds of dollars and includes things like roadside, dissapearing deductible, trip interruption coverage, replacement cost on personal effects, and lots more. I know a lot of people like the good sam program and get good service, but I've found it's double the rate of Progressive. If you have a local agent helping you, they can get you a few quotes. But $1600 a year? That's crazy. Most do go by a current value rate, so if it's worth a ton, that might be reasonable. Just my thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller2 View Post
I just insured our 2006 Excursion 39v with Good Sams(gmac). I was blown away at the cost. 1600.00 per year. Does anyone have a better alternative or suggestion. The price might be right but it sure seems high to me
NewOwner83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #21

I agree...but jsut to clarify as an agent..we only get paid a commisson on premiums paid. Most of the time 8-12% depending on the company. Changing from one company to another wouldn't really make any difference for your agent's pocket book....I do agree, loyalty is a thing of the past. The company can no longer afford to go out of the way for you, so you shouldn't feel like you need to be loyal to brand X, if Y is offering a better rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I know this has been debated and debated not only on this forum but on numerous RV forums so there really isn't a right way or wrong way to buy RV insurance. One can either shop for the best rates themselves or let an agent do it. In the beginning, we too thought that going to Good Sam (an exclusive selling agent for GMAC) or shopping around for the best rates ourselves was the way to do it. Many years later, we are convinced that going through an independent agency specializing in RV insurance and using the right agent is the best way to get the best rates. We let them do the shopping and they seem to be able to find rates better than we could at the exact same insurance companies for some strange reason. You'd think it would be just the opposite.

We've been switched several times from one insurance company to another by our agent to get the best rates. We often thought that staying with the same company was the thing to do but our agent convinced us that it is not really worth being loyal to one company. He has convinced us that the goal is to keep our costs down (our premiums) and that service from on insurer to another isn't that great to justify loyalty. Again, this is something that we never agreed with but now are coming around to agree with our agent. True, the agent is making a commission each time he switches us to a new company but if it saves us money, then maybe he's right. If he's just churning us to make commissions, then it would be another story. However, when he sees our premiums start to skyrocket for no reason, he starts shopping around for another carrier at renewal time.

We've used Miller in Oregon in the past and are now with Poliseek. I know many do not like Poliseek but the agent we have there is terrific and really goes overboard to save us money. He will do all the shopping around plus doing things like getting multi-policy discounts when we can combine auto/RV/Home/liability umbrella/boat/vacation home (or a combination of one or more of those with one company) to get some money-saving discounts. We are convinced that he can get us better rates than if we personally shopped for all our policies on our own.

He has had our motorhome with GMAC for the past two years now and we are paying about $650/year at GMAC. We haven't yet had the big hike from them that some of you have. But we know when it comes, our agent will find something else and we are not really loyal to GMAC.

Places like Miller and Poliseek are agents for a wide range of carriers. Poliseek especially has a huge range of carriers they are agents for and they cover many more states than Miller. We now use Poliseek for all our insurance coverages. There are quite a few regional independent agencies too so take a look in your local area for these types of agencies that specialize in RV insurance.

Again, I know not all will agree that using an independent agent is the best way to buy insurance rather than shopping for it yourself but for us it works and works well.
NewOwner83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you had any claims ?

When claims are made rates go up
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have a 2003 coach, bought in 2004. Have had Progressive the entire time. Sad to say we've had several claims, they have paid prompt and I haven't noticed an increase in the premiums. Think it runs around $800 per year. The Harley is insured with them also.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
GOOD Sam's was not any good. At least on price. I had progressive for a year which cost me $288 a year. This year the price went up to $360 without any issues having occurred. I checked GEICO and they wanted more, so I checked Allstate and they quoted me $280 a year and $79.99 introduction price for the Allstate Motor Club. After one year price is $99.99 a year. Yes it is $360 a year but Progressive just offers basic roadside assistance and the tows wouldn't get me far. Allstate Motor Club offers unlimited towing and I get discounts at many places. I went with Allstate.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #25

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
The only possible way to tell whether your insurance rate is competitive is to get quotes for identical coverage from different companies. Insurance rates vary significantly depending on where you live, state rules, your lifestyle, your credit score, your driving record and age, and how eager a company is for your business. Even identical people (if there were such a thing) will pay different rates in different locations. We changed storage lots from one zip code to an adjacent one and our rate changed noticeably.
Agree with this. Everyone's situation is a little different. Do your research and get quotes from 5 or 6 different companies and agents for your particular situation. You will be surprised at the difference in price. Don't forget to ask about reductions when the RV is in storage and ask about diminishing deductables. I would recommend Talking with Ron at Overland Insurance Services in Scottsdale, AZ as one of your contacts. (800-677-4027) You efforts will pay off when you see the bottom line.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Geez! When it all comes down, there is so very little dollar difference. We go with a national company, why? Cause if you have a claim they have adjusters that appear quickly, this means problems, which will happen most times are expidated thus saving monies! Hence, on the road again!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #27

I would check with State Farm and Geico
GuitarLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #28

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Geez! When it all comes down, there is so very little dollar difference....
I was amazed at the dollar difference when I did my research. I found 27% difference between the same policy written by two different agents.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance